Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Iraq Thread 2

edit - ran, it's sort of a forum glitch.  when you click the "quote" button it puts that tag at the top of your post, assuming you're the only poster he's quoting.  so if the poster deletes all the stuff he wanted to quote and writes something else in the tag still remains.

hmmm ?

when you click the "quote" button it puts a small tag at the top of the quoted text. saying "FSPilot,Aug. 01 2003,19:54".  that is, of course, the date the text was posted and who posted it.  but if you delete all the text in the lower text box (titled "original post", it's the stuff you're quoting) the tag will still remain while the text wont.

Just click "Preview post" so you can remove the taq.

Programmes don't do it... it was weapons that we were told about

John Rockefeller

Democrat

had to pick that up. wink_o.gif thanks for the Ref

oh and here is a simple version refering to the statistics we discussed recentlypopup.iraq.deaths.gif

There's a rather interesting scandal growing in Sweden right now. It would seem that our military sent in two WMD experts to Iraq, in disguise as journalists. They did it without consulting or informing the Swedish government and without informing the US military.

They were in the country for about a week, conducting interviews with Iraqi scientists and visiting suspected WMD sites.

Right now the Swedish government is pretty pissed off at not being informed.

I only managed to find one article in English about it: Swedish arms experts in secret Iraq visit to check weapons claim

There's a rather interesting scandal growing in Sweden right now. It would seem that our military sent in two WMD experts to Iraq, in disguise as journalists. They did it without consulting or informing the Swedish government and without informing the US military.

They were in the country for about a week, conducting interviews with Iraqi scientists and visiting suspected WMD sites.

Right now the Swedish government is pretty pissed off at not being informed.

I only managed to find one article in English about it: Swedish arms experts in secret Iraq visit to check weapons claim

heh ?

a military intel agency worst than the DGSE ?

how come the operation has been discovered ?

Well i dont think there was likely much sinister involved (distrust of the coalition to present publicly the real facts?- fear that the coalition was right?) but i still dont quite see the motive for Sweden to send a secret WMD investigation team to Iraq? Just an idle interest? Or at the most unlikely to deny the coaltion important evidence?blues.gif

And why would the Swedish government not be informed, or perhaps as Ran asked how has it been revealed (lots of countries may be doing similar things after all)?

heh ?

It seems to have been a private endeavour. This was not executed by military intelligence but by a department within the defense research agency. They informed their superiors first after they completed their mission.

According to them they were contacted by an Iraqi scientist who had information but refused to cooperate with the occupational powers. So they said that they had to act quickly and had no time to go through the proper channels.

(lots of countries may be doing similar things)?

i'm sure we have some DGSE agents from the "action exterieure" department sitting down there disguised in nomads ... they're so foreseeable .....

remember , the DGSE ..... the ones who "accidentaly" sunk the rainbow warrior during the "Satanique" operation , the ones who messed up in Congo when it was still central-african republic , they wanted to replace Bockassa by Dacko while the first was on a trip in Lybia , they're also partly responsible for the Chrisantheme operation fuck up (the seven monks in Tiberine sequestrated by the GIA) , they also partly fucked up an hostage rescue mission in New Caledonia , causing the death of quite a lot of hostages including a few Gendarmes who were sequestrated by the Kanaks ...

aaah .. i'm damned proud of the frenc main intel and action agency ......

btw , they did a few good things , like finding back an atom bomb which fell from a Mirage in the Sahara ....

heh ?

It seems to have been a private endeavour. This was not executed by military intelligence but by a department within the defense research agency. They informed their superiors first after they completed their mission.

According to them they were contacted by an Iraqi scientist who had information but refused to cooperate with the occupational powers. So they said that they had to act quickly and had no time to go through the proper channels.

hmm , don't you have a "fast circuit" where orders are directly taken from heads of state and heads of military ??

in such a case , i'm sure there are propper procedures to reduce time between reflexion and action

Quote[/b] ]like finding back an atom bomb which fell from a Mirage in the Sahara ....

I remember a Tom Clancy novel with the same plot but the jet was from Israel and the guys who found the bomb were terrorists. I wonder where this guy gets his ideas from biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]how come the operation has been discovered ?

Swedish accent and blond hair tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]how come the operation has been discovered ?

Swedish accent and blond hair  tounge_o.gif

yeah , i think you've out the finger on it ..... tounge_o.gif

I remember a Tom Clancy novel with the same plot but the jet was from Israel and the guys who found the bomb were terrorists. I wonder where this guy gets his ideas from  biggrin_o.gif

Sum Of All Fears.  Pretty good book, then they tried to make it a movie crazy_o.gif .

hmm , don't you have a "fast circuit" where orders are directly taken from heads of state and heads of military ??

in such a case , i'm sure there are propper procedures to reduce time between reflexion and action

Normally this sort of thing would have been handled by MUST (military intel). They have a fairly large autonomy and report to the department of defense, not the government.

Also, their work does not generate headlines in the news smile_o.gif

Operation Beryl : 10:00:00.458 GMT; 1 May 1962 :

5:02:30.8E, 24:03:46.8N; Ecker, Algeria

recuperation of an AN11 atomic fission bomb (60kt) which fell from a Mirage IVA in the Hoggar heights in saharian desert

eventhough the bomb landed in the theorical testing range area , recuperation operations have been ordered immediatly after the mechanical failure

the accident was caused by a defaillance of the weapon carriage which released the bomb too early but by chance , the detonator wasn't triggered

accidental radiation release has been reported

inquiries later lead to this conclusion : the development of the AN11 support materials and carrying pylons had been rushed out

-edit-

from what i've gathered , Beryl is classified as an atomic testing Failure while it was a mechanical failure

the research of the warhead has been lead by the DGSE(SDECE back in that time) due to the troubles roaming accross the country back in that time

i always thought it was an urban legend , but it's apparently not

Quote[/b] ]ok, please get back on topic.

Well sure but that was interesting Ralph, wasn´t it ?

Confess !

mkay:

Turkey's parliament finally approved an amnesty resolution for Kurd rebels. It’s really more of a leniency deal for PKK fighters who agree to turn themselves and their weapons in to Turkish authorities. Major PKK leaders are not eligible for the amnesty. Kurd fighters who have been involved in armed operations will get reduced prison terms if they surrender peacefully and agree to inform Turkish security forces about those operations.

That stinks, doesn´t it ? "Reduced prison terms"...

They quoted the Swedes in a Finnish newspaper saying that the foundigs were "interesting" I wonder what that is...

ok, please get back on topic. wink_o.gif

hmm .....

sand , WMD's , desert ? that's almost on topic don't you think ? tounge_o.gif

@ Aug. 04 2003,09:03)]
<snip>

SAC dropped a nuke on Charleston, South Carolina once.  unclesam.gif

Whoopsie! Good Ol' Curtis "Why negotiate when you can Nuke 'Em" Lemay. I wonder who ended up counting potatoes in Minot for that little error.

Technically, it wasn't Charleston, it was a little town nearby. Same difference though wow_o.gif

We also dropped a few in the mediterranean and on Spain. wow_o.gif

Those goofy SAC guys always spilling their nukes everywhere. unclesam.gif

any ways, get back on topic.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/08/04/sprj.irq.main/index.html

Quote[/b] ]TIKRIT, Iraq (CNN) -- U.S. forces have launched more than two dozen raids in northern Iraq in the past 24 hours as part of an operation aimed at killing or capturing Saddam Hussein, U.S. military officials said Monday.

The raids -- centered around Saddam's ancestral homeland of Tikrit -- netted 46 people, including a local resistance leader and two former midlevel officials in the Iraqi government, officials said.

guess things are heating up in Tikrit. If hussein is there wonder how Hussein mamaged to get there despite the fact that there were US troops guarding the roads.

and also on another news, seems like death of U&Q is winding down attacks on US soliders.

That's a good thing. Maybe taking out Saddam Hussein will do the same?

Maybe capturing Saddam alive would make the perfect deal. All the WMD questions could be answered 1st hand. But it looks like noone is really interested to capture major heads alive. I wonder why.