Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Iraq Thread 2

While the USA is undoubtedly the world's current, pre-eminent global superpower, the important thing to bear in mind is that his role is just to pump the gas / flip burgers for the people who make it such.

Even though there's not much happening in Iraq right now, don't you think we could find something more important to talk about than him?

Yes lts talk Saddam biggrin_o.gif

See this:

http://www.reuters.com/newsArt....4052655

Quote[/b] ]DUBAI (Reuters) - Saddam Hussein has given his U.S. captors information on hidden weapons and as much as $40 billion he may have seized while he was Iraq's president, an Iraqi official was quoted as saying on Monday.

"Saddam has confessed the names of people he told to keep the money and he gave names of those who have information on equipment and weapons warehouses," Iyad Allawi, a member of the U.S.-appointed Iraqi Governing Council, told the London-based Asharq al-Awsat daily.

Well weel what do you think saddams up to now?

There must have been a back door deal between him and the US me thinks , otherwise whats he getting out of blabbing all of this?

There must have been a back door deal between him and the US me thinks , otherwise whats he getting out of blabbing all of this?

Getting a trial before an international court, instead of the Iraqi justice system.

Yes lts talk Saddam  biggrin_o.gif

See this:

http://www.reuters.com/newsArt....4052655

Quote[/b] ]DUBAI (Reuters) - Saddam Hussein has given his U.S. captors information on hidden weapons and as much as $40 billion he may have seized while he was Iraq's president, an Iraqi official was quoted as saying on Monday.

"Saddam has confessed the names of people he told to keep the money and he gave names of those who have information on equipment and weapons warehouses," Iyad Allawi, a member of the U.S.-appointed Iraqi Governing Council, told the London-based Asharq al-Awsat daily.

Methinks he is still going to die nomatter what wink_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Hey, everyone is going to die, very soon. wink_o.gif In the eye of the beholder right...

Hey, everyone is going to die, very soon.  wink_o.gif  In the eye of the beholder right...

lol reminds me of the movie Hollywood Homicide:

(Josh Hartnett's character comendeers a mini van to chase the bad guy)

kid- Are we going to die?

Hartnett- Well, yes.

*Kids start crying*

Hartnett- Nononono, I mean that... sooner or later we all die, it is only a matter of time before we die, it just takes time *Dodges truck*

biggrin_o.gif

There is, there is a lot happening in Iraq... during our x-mas holidays there were massive assaults on coalitioin/puppet assets.

I hope that this killing stop now saddams caught now , what are these rebels doing anyway , i dont just get it what their motive is atm. The sooner the situation stabilizes the more quicker US gets lost out of here.

The only thing theyre doing is giving them a excuse to stay and beat and trash their country even more.

Well you never know, pressure at home from all the chaos might tempt the US to leave more unfinished business... that might be their thought.

well at the rate at which they are going it'll probably take them 4-5 years to get any sort of pressure from the US home side rock.gif

I hope that this killing stop now saddams caught now , what are these rebels doing anyway , i dont just get it what their motive is atm. The sooner the situation stabilizes the more quicker US gets lost out of here.

The only thing theyre doing is giving them a excuse to stay and beat and trash their country even more.

Whilst attacks by Iraqi resistance will fade away IMO, now with the money and important leaders removed/exposed, it still leaves foreign fighters in Iraq, mainly Al-Q or Al-Q affiliated groups wrecking havoc in the country simply because the US are there.

In other words, less mortar/sniper attacks, more suicide attacks instead. Also increased targetting of civilians.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/12/30/sprj.nitop.halliburton.ap/index.html

Quote[/b] ]WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Defense Department is removing the Army Corps of Engineers from overseeing oil imports into Iraq, acting just weeks after Pentagon auditors said Halliburton -- Vice President Dick Cheney's former firm -- may have overcharged taxpayers under the Corps' supervision.

The Defense Energy Support Center, which buys fuel for the military throughout the world, will supervise the replacement of Halliburton and the award of a new contract for the imports, the center said Tuesday.

"We're taking over the mission," said the center's spokeswoman, Lynette Ebberts. She would not comment on whether the audit prompted the change, which was ordered December. 23.

Democratic lawmakers have been highly critical of the prices charged the U.S. government by Halliburton's KBR subsidiary, which has been importing refined petroleum products into Iraq under a mission awarded without competitive bids. Cheney headed Halliburton before running for vice president.

Earlier this month, the Defense Department's auditing agency supported the Democrats' allegations, finding the company may have charged up to $61 million too much for delivering gasoline to Iraqi citizens.

President Bush tried to calm the controversy, saying Halliburton should repay the government if it overcharged for fuel, which was imported from Iraq's neighboring countries.

Halliburton has said it expected to be cleared by the Defense Department. The company said its pricing resulted from a contract with a Kuwaiti firm, the only company approved as a supplier by the Corps.

Halliburton got its contract to rebuild Iraq's dilapidated oil industry as an outgrowth of a contract with the Army to provide emergency logistical help for situations such as the Iraq war. The Army Corps of Engineers opened the oil rebuilding process to competitive bidding earlier this year and was preparing to award up to $2 billion in replacement contracts.

Richard J. Connelly, director of the support center, said the existing contract would remain in place for now, so that fuel deliveries will not be interrupted.

Corps spokesman Robert Faletti said, "I don't believe the report had anything to do with the transfer."

The support center said it would award contracts under competitive bidding, a process that could take two to three months, but would consider a short-term contract until the bids are awarded.

sad_o.gifUnhappy New Year sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]5 Killed in Blast at Baghdad Restaurant

29 minutes ago

By SARAH EL DEEB and MATTHEW ROSENBERG, Associated Press Writers

BAGHDAD, Iraq - A bomb blast ripped through a crowded restaurant hosting a New Year's Eve party in the Iraqi capital, killing five people and injuring 25. Some of the injured were foreigners.

Anything for a kill. mad_o.gif

Can someone find a list for the major US contracters for rebuilding Iraq and exploiting the oil wells?

Would be interresting to see all company's involved.i know Haliburton was at one point a receiver of many contract's ,a company with firm ties to Dick Cheney.

What i definatly would want to know is who are all the shareholders of those company's prior to the Iraq war.

edit: Found an report here titled: "Advisors of Influence: Nine Members of the Defense Policy Board Have Ties to Defense Contractors"

Now im not declaring this report unbiased.These days one has to be picky on what internet source's to use as fundamented proof.however the report is well written and looks relativly well investigated ,but conceivable leftist.All i want to do is spark a discussion on the contractors of defense and the rebuildment of Iraq ,as i feel there has been to few discussion on that topic.

29 minutes ago

BAGHDAD, Iraq - A bomb blast ripped through a crowded restaurant hosting a New Year's Eve party in the Iraqi capital, killing five people and injuring 25. Some of the injured were foreigners.

Oh please...

it's not a happy new year in the mid-east at all, screw it if there is an attack on new years, same as any other time.

29 minutes ago  

Oh please...

it's not a happy new year in the mid-east at all, screw it if there is an attack on new years, same as any other time.

I second that 2003 has probably been one of the worst year for the region after all this iraq war crap and now earth quake in Iran , plus more future trouble expectations of US , iran face off ...

Can someone find a list for the major US contracters for rebuilding Iraq and exploiting the oil wells?

Would be interresting to see all company's involved.i know Haliburton was at one point a receiver of many contract's ,a company with firm ties to Dick Cheney.

What i definatly would want to know is who are all the shareholders of those company's prior to the Iraq war.

edit: Found an report here titled: "Advisors of Influence: Nine Members of the Defense Policy Board Have Ties to Defense Contractors"

Now im not declaring this report unbiased.These days one has to be picky on what internet source's to use as fundamented proof.however the report is well written and looks relativly well investigated ,but conceivable leftist.All i want to do is spark a discussion on the contractors of defense and the rebuildment of Iraq ,as i feel there has been to few discussion on that topic.

What are you so interested in who has the money for? As long as they're the best ones to get the job done and they're doing so, I don't see the problem.

unfortunately, Halliburton got the contract without bidding process. that means that the best one may not have had chance to even give a shot at.

and they are not getting their job done correctly either.

1/1/04

The Iraqi Mujafedaqaeda Saddam Pep Squad shot down another Blackhawk in Iraq. I haven't seen an article about this yet, but it was on Fox News TV today. They called it a "forced hard landing", but you know what that means. No word on casualties yet.

bush.jpg

Quote[/b] ]What are you so interested in who has the money for? As long as they're the best ones to get the job done and they're doing so, I don't see the problem.

First of all ,there is the fact that they only choose UK/U.S firms for the rebuilding ,and not according to who gets the job best done but rather by choice of top level politician's.This can create a conflict of interrests when such politicians own share's in a company that got favored by their political action's ,or when such company's contribute greatly in financing ellection campaign's.(Bush and Enron anyone?)

With the Iraq war for ex. the share's of multiple U.S base defense company's rose quite a lot.For a political cabinet planning a w<ar in Iraq it's easy to know when and wich company's share's will rise.In addition ,oil extracting company's that got favored in exploitation contract's of Iraqi oil wells usually have a quite large divident rate on their share's.All thing's to consider for possible conflict's of interest.

Apollo

Quote[/b] ]First of all ,there is the fact that they only choose UK/U.S firms for the rebuilding ,and not according to who gets the job best done but rather by choice of top level politician's.

Can you provide any evidence to back this up?  Maybe foreign companys don't have the technology or skill that US/UK based ones do.  Or maybe US/UK companies are getting picked because we're the ones that fought (and are fighting) the war in Iraq.  Why should we let French or German companies do jobs that Americans and Brits could do when we're the ones who won the war?

Quote[/b] ]This can create a conflict of interrests when such politicians own share's in a company that got favored by their political action's ,or when such company's contribute greatly in financing ellection campaign's.(Bush and Enron anyone?)

What does Enron have to do with the war in Iraq?  They went out of business before the first bomb was dropped and they didn't do any business with anything remotely related to warfare. Or is this just a swing at Bush?

Quote[/b] ]With the Iraq war for ex. the share's of multiple U.S base defense company's rose quite a lot.For a political cabinet planning a w<ar in Iraq it's easy to know when and wich company's share's will rise.In addition ,oil extracting company's that got favored in exploitation contract's of Iraqi oil wells usually have a quite large divident rate on their share's.All thing's to consider for possible conflict's of interest.

I think you're being too cynical.  Chalk it up to a difference of opinion if you want, but I doubt that politicians would go to war just to make certain stocks go up.  And, for some reason, I doubt you were saying this back when Clinton bombed Iraq.

Quote[/b] ]With the Iraq war for ex. the share's of multiple U.S base defense company's rose quite a lot.For a political cabinet planning a w<ar in Iraq it's easy to know when and wich company's share's will rise.In addition ,oil extracting company's that got favored in exploitation contract's of Iraqi oil wells usually have a quite large divident rate on their share's.All thing's to consider for possible conflict's of interest.

I think you're being too cynical. Chalk it up to a difference of opinion if you want, but I doubt that politicians would go to war just to make certain stocks go up. And, for some reason, I doubt you were saying this back when Clinton bombed Iraq.

Yeah, critique against american foreign policy did not exist before Bush Jr (think Chile 1973). :rolleyes:

And I dont recall juicy oil contracts being handed out in Kosovo.