Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Iraq Thread 2

Also he seems to share the Bush administration opinion that if you even just suspect anybody of being a bad guy that you have the moral and legal right to attack them.

I hear a funny cartoon coming on

Click here. Funny!

Isn't he the same guy who made that cartoon that predicted Pakistan would nuke India because of this war? rock.gif

Isn't he the same guy who made that cartoon that predicted Pakistan would nuke India because of this war?  rock.gif

time for Definition Man!!!

Quote[/b] ]Main Entry: sat·ire

Pronunciation: 'sa-"tIr

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle French or Latin; Middle French, from Latin satura, satira, perhaps from (lanx) satura dish of mixed ingredients, from feminine of satur well-fed; akin to Latin satis enough -- more at SAD

Date: 1501

1 : a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn

2 : trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly

synonym see WIT

He is a satirist. He holds up vice and folly and exposes it with his trenchant wit smile_o.gif

Does a rather fine job, I must say!

Berlusconi and Bush...

zoom_2003072208371626898.jpg

Now there are two friends to fear. Both are egoists, criminals and know how to manipulate the media. Also it`s another nice proof that Bush knows nothing or doesn`t care for the subtleties of diplomacy. While Berlusconi is under hard critics here in Europe because of his "dictatorship" in Italy and his terrible behaviour in the European Union, Bush invites him to show that this kind of behaviour has to be honored... Disgusting! crazy_o.gif

Oh I'm sure TBA knows alot about diplomacy, for example they like to play the "dis-unite Europe game", and they are quite good at it.

This is just another instance of that game.

Yes, they are kinda good at it...

On the other hand they failed in their attempt to harm the UN. Next thing Bush has to do is to make a walk to Canossa and ask the UN quietly for help in the miserable "after"war Iraq. I`m looking forward to that.  smile_o.gif

Pentagon/Washington crapola

Quote[/b] ]WASHINGTON — He's believed to be alive and probably hiding in Iraq, but Saddam Hussein is not orchestrating the daily attacks on American troops, says the top U.S. administrator in the occupied country.

L. Paul Bremer also said Americans should prepare for a long stay in Iraq.

"It's clear that, given the size of the task, we're going to be there for a while," he said Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press." "I don't know how many years."

A Pentagon advisory panel suggested last week that coalition troops will need to remain in Iraq for at least two to five years to back up fledgling, postwar Iraqi police and military organizations.

from "News"

And in China Tony Blair tells Chinese students the world community must act against nations who disregard international law. Those students must have gotten confused as to why Blair was asking the world to act against the US. smile_o.gif Sorry no link, still looking.

Berlusconi and Bush...

http://www.n24.de/images/2003/07/22/zoom_2003072208371626898.jpg

Now there are two friends to fear. Both are egoists, criminals and know how to manipulate the media. Also it`s another nice proof that Bush knows nothing or doesn`t care for the subtleties of diplomacy. While Berlusconi is under hard critics here in Europe because of his "dictatorship" in Italy and his terrible behaviour in the European Union, Bush invites him to show that this kind of behaviour has to be honored... Disgusting!  crazy_o.gif

What does that have to do with Iraq?

Next thing Bush has to do is to make a walk to Canossa and ask the UN quietly for help in the miserable "after"war Iraq. I`m looking forward to that.  smile_o.gif

It's already happening

It won't be quite that easy though. The two major players, EU and Russia won't do it without an explicit UN resolution that also puts the political and economic reconstruction of Iraq under UN control.

In other news: US seize 'key Saddam allies'. Rumors say that Saddam's sons could have possibly been captured or killed. On the other hand one should be careful with such information considering that Saddam and his sons have already been "killed" a number of times before wink_o.gif

Also, Another US soldier killed. (Not counting the casualties reported in the raid described in the previous link).

Berlusconi and Bush...

http://www.n24.de/images/2003/07/22/zoom_2003072208371626898.jpg

Now there are two friends to fear. Both are egoists, criminals and know how to manipulate the media. Also it`s another nice proof that Bush knows nothing or doesn`t care for the subtleties of diplomacy. While Berlusconi is under hard critics here in Europe because of his "dictatorship" in Italy and his terrible behaviour in the European Union, Bush invites him to show that this kind of behaviour has to be honored... Disgusting!  crazy_o.gif

What does that have to do with Iraq?

Take a guess what they talked about...

Let`s wait and drink some tea until we get founded information. Like denoir said: Saddam, his sons, Osama bin Laden and many others have already been "killed" a few times.

Ok now we had Blair in washington, Berlusconi, so Aznar next ?

It looks like the coalition is already slicing the Iraqi cake, or is it just me ?

Ok now we had Blair in washington, Berlusconi, so Aznar next ?

It looks like the coalition is already slicing the Iraqi cake, or is it just me ?

I don't think that there is anything to slice yet. Also, I doubt that Berlusconi will be part of any deals as he in way that's traditional to Italian politics switched loyalty a couple of times during the conflict. Plus he made it very clear that Italy would only give moral support, but no troops.

Aznar's support of the war was also just an abstract item. He never sent any Spanish troops to Iraq during the war.

One interesting related article:

Poland wants a stake in Iraqi oil

Quote[/b] ]Accordingly, Polish Foreign Minister Wlodzimierz Cimoszewicz told the Polish PAP news agency,"We have never hidden our desire for Polish oil companies to finally have access to sources of commodities."

And:

Poles prepare for Iraq role

Quote[/b] ]Earlier this month the Polish Foreign Minister Wlodzimierz Cimoszewicz admitted that Poland's "ultimate objective" in Iraq was to gain access to Iraqi oil.

Well, at least they are honest about it. rock.gif 

Even Fox is rolling that initial report back. Also, apparently one of the bodies might have been teenage boy...

I see this thread is still going nowhere useful besides venting hatred toward my nation. sad_o.gif

You know, paranoia is not good for you.

No hatred is vented here except towards those that started what now more and more evident was an unjustified war. The only angry feelings is towards those that decieved the world: i.e the Bush & Blair gang.

Instead of whining, why don't you join the discussion? That is if you feel that the criticism of Bush & Blair is unwarranted. smile_o.gif

I see this thread is still going nowhere useful besides venting hatred toward my nation. sad_o.gif

I believe it was Thomas Jefferson himself that said that it is less patriotic to take your government at face value than criticising and questioning your government.

smile_o.gif

I believe it was Thomas Jefferson himself that said that it is less patriotic to take your government at face value than criticising and questioning your government.

smile_o.gif

iraq2.jpg

Good comic.

BTW I sure hope those bodies were Qusay and Uday...rest in pieces.

Good comic.

Is that a pun or what? smile_o.gif

What I was wondering is what gives the US the right to kill all these people? I mean, were they going to be proscecuted by an international criminal court or for some war crimes? As far as I can tell, there is a killing spree and the Coalition is the law, the police, the court and the executioner. What gives, and why aren't Americans getting furious with this whole shabbang?

Good comic.

Is that a pun or what?  smile_o.gif

What I was wondering is what gives the US the right to kill all these people?  I mean, were they going to be proscecuted by an international criminal court or for some war crimes?  As far as I can tell, there is a killing spree and the Coalition is the law, the police, the court and the executioner.    What gives, and why aren't Americans getting furious with this whole shabbang?

The Geneva Convention, which only offers protection to POWs (and non-combatants of course), which are captured combatants that fall under the following circumstances:

Quote[/b] ]A. Prisoners of war, in the sense of the present Convention, are persons belonging to one of the following categories, who have fallen into the power of the enemy:

1. Members of the armed forces of a Party to the conflict as well as members of militias or volunteer corps forming part of such armed forces.

2. Members of other militias and members of other volunteer corps, including those of organized resistance movements, belonging to a Party to the conflict and operating in or outside their own territory, even if this territory is occupied, provided that such militias or volunteer corps, including such organized resistance movements, fulfil the following conditions:

(a) That of being commanded by a person responsible for his subordinates;

(b) That of having a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance;

© That of carrying arms openly;

(d) That of conducting their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war.

3. Members of regular armed forces who profess allegiance to a government or an authority not recognized by the Detaining Power.

4. Persons who accompany the armed forces without actually being members thereof, such as civilian members of military aircraft crews, war correspondents, supply contractors, members of labour units or of services responsible for the welfare of the armed forces, provided that they have received authorization from the armed forces which they accompany, who shall provide them for that purpose with an identity card similar to the annexed model.

5. Members of crews, including masters, pilots and apprentices, of the merchant marine and the crews of civil aircraft of the Parties to the conflict, who do not benefit by more favourable treatment under any other provisions of international law.

6. Inhabitants of a non-occupied territory, who on the approach of the enemy spontaneously take up arms to resist the invading forces, without having had time to form themselves into regular armed units, provided they carry arms openly and respect the laws and customs of war.

B. The following shall likewise be treated as prisoners of war under the present Convention:

1. Persons belonging, or having belonged, to the armed forces of the occupied country, if the occupying Power considers it necessary by reason of such allegiance to intern them, even though it has originally liberated them while hostilities were going on outside the territory it occupies, in particular where such persons have made an unsuccessful attempt to rejoin the armed forces to which they belong and which are engaged in combat, or where they fail to comply with a summons made to them with a view to internment.

2. The persons belonging to one of the categories enumerated in the present Article, who have been received by neutral or non-belligerent Powers on their territory and whom these Powers are required to intern under international law, without prejudice to any more favourable treatment which these Powers may choose to give and with the exception of Articles 8, 10, 15, 30, fifth paragraph, 58-67, 92, 126 and, where diplomatic relations exist between the Parties to the conflict and the neutral or non-belligerent Power concerned, those Articles concerning the Protecting Power. Where such diplomatic relations exist, the Parties to a conflict on whom these persons depend shall be allowed to perform towards them the functions of a Protecting Power as provided in the present Convention, without prejudice to the functions which these Parties normally exercise in conformity with diplomatic and consular usage and treaties.

Besides, who said it was a mission to kill them. It is possible that the goal was to apprehend them alive and treat them like POWs, but they resisted and were killed as a result. Remember, one US soldier was shot in the chest during this incident.