Sign in to follow this  
CopyCon

Muzzle flash

Please make the muzzle flashs smaller and less intense. As it is now it looks like the barrel is exploding everytime you shoot.

In the dark you should be able to se them clear but not in the middle of the day. The exceptions is of course MG:s and heavier weapons.

Maybe this has been brought up earlier, but I did'nt find anything about it when I made a search.

5.56mm weapons generally just give of a small puff of smoke in daylight, I would think it depends on the barrel lengh and the type of flash suppressor used. Also how do you make it so that at night it does give of a clear flash and in day it doesn't if you do it by time its gonna look odd if its 6 o'clock and not flashing and 1 minute later it just kicks in, it would look even worst if you are in the middle of a full auto burst.

No, you still get quite a big flash off a military rifle with a flash suppressor. All a flash suppressor in its common form is for is stopping the flash from blinding the shooter at night, really. You can still see the flash if the weapon is pointing vaguely towards you. Especially on full auto.

Hmm, the flash blinds me in day on ofp.

Yes, the SA80 with flash suppressor still gives off at the very least a small flash and at the most a fully blown flash like flashpoint shows.

Im really happy with the muzzle flash in OFP anyways, it looks much more realistic than just about every other game Ive played.

I would say make it just a puff of smoke in day with small transparent flash and have a brighter flash with less smoke at night. Play around with it to make it look as close to real thing as possible.

I'm not sure about other weapons but the Xm177e2's muzzle flash from what I've seen is spot-on. It's notorious for having such ungodly sized eyebrow-scorching flashes which is one of the reasons why it underwent several revisions until it ended up being the colt commando.

Incidentally the same gun was intended to be for use with downed helicopter, or disabled tank crews. However the gun had a fair amount of design complications... not to mention it's overall inefficient size.

I have a little idea about muzzle flash (I'm not talking about size,during day or not, neither realism).

Maybe it would be nice for the next game to code and include a very short animation, tweaking alpha channel or even the shape/brightness. I made a little comparaison render try *

- up muzzle flash have 4 frames animation

- down muzzle flash only have one (just like it is currently with OFP game)

what do you think ?

* You should enable loop play from your media player to watch that video

The weapons that I've fired or seen fired in the army had very little flash, though I've admittedly never fired any short-barreled longarms. I've also never had a weapon fired in my general direction, thankfully. smile_o.gif

Heck, even the FN MAG barely caused a flash. At best we'd see some hanging dust and dirt particles get lit up a little, but that was about it. No big blast of flame or anything.

Blanks, on the other hand. Now those give off a very noticeable muzzle blast visible even in direct overhead sunlight, and very much lights up a room when firing indoors.

It really depends.

While you can hardly see the flash in bright sunlight you will see it when you go to shadowed areas. During the night the flash is visible on very long distances. It´s not that modern guns produce no flash. It´s just that the surrounding and light conditions will make it harder to see.

Additionally your eye is not a highspeed camera that can adjust it´s brightness and contrast setting and shutter speed smile_o.gif during the day that fast. That´s why you hardly see the flash.

It´s still there, but your brain is just to slow and the eye is to slow aswell.

If you check daylight pictures you do see the flash, but IRL humans are just a bit to lame for that biggrin_o.gif

Well, as Balschoiw said, it depends on the lightning, and it should depends on lightning in game.

If they have time for this kind of stuff then, why not...

It shouldn`t be harder to do, than real time shadows or something like that, but well, I`m kinda lame in this subject.

Actually I forgot to mention the fact that my observations included nighttime live firing.

But yes, part of why we typically don't see much muzzle flash compared to photos is similar to what Bal said. What flash there is lasts for such a short time, it's difficult for our brains to perceive, compared to cameras with high-speed film, where you can extract the appropriate frame(s) later.

The muzzle flash should vary a bit and be in higher resolution, instead of just being a lowres static image like it is now.