Sign in to follow this  
Czarny

Ofp deleting everything on harddisk!

Nah, they´re too busy to make console version out of this game biggrin_o.gif

We can confirm loss of all data on the hard drive partition can really happen under some circumstances. See

Troubleshooting FAQ Topic for more information about it.

Could you please clarify something about the following:

Quote[/b] ]1) TCP/IP protocol is not fully supported or it's not working properly (e.g. it's disabled in Windows Network settings or there's a firewall disabling it)

Does that mean that anyone with a home PC who does not define TCPIP as a network protocol and only plays OFP SP missions and campaigns is subject to this error?

Can this happen if TCPIP is defined to Windows and playing SP missions and campaigns?

Or can this only happen sometime after clicking MULTIPLAYER?

Finally, what is BIS planning to do about this?

Quote[/b] ]1) TCP/IP protocol is not fully supported or it's not working properly (e.g. it's disabled in Windows Network settings or there's a firewall disabling it)

2) the user creates a new server in DirectPlay mode (the problem can never happen using "Sockets" implementation of the network protocol)

Ah well, that explains it.

I was running a personal firewall & starting a DirectPlay game.

Thanks for the information. At least now we know how to avoid this.

smile_o.gif

PS: Could you please remove this feature from OFP2 ?

Feature? It's not listed on my box copy. tounge_o.gif

Don't know that you'd call it a feature exactly... wink_o.gif

Guest BratZ

Did I understand correctly that this is only a WInXP feature?

It's a bug of course, I was only kidding.

But no, I had it on Win2k, so I guess it can happen in any OS.

Does that mean that anyone with a home PC who does not define TCPIP as a network protocol and only plays OFP SP missions and campaigns is subject to this error?

Can this happen if TCPIP is defined to Windows and playing SP missions and campaigns?

Or can this only happen sometime after clicking MULTIPLAYER?

Finally, what is BIS planning to do about this?

1) Does that mean that anyone with a home PC who does not define TCPIP as a network protocol and only plays OFP SP missions and campaigns is subject to this error?

No. The error can happen only in multiplayer game when the user creates a new mutliplayer server using DirectPlay implementation (not in Sockets implementation that is default) and TCP IP is not properly supported in the OS. There's no risk in any single player area of the game at all related to this error and there's no risk in multiplayer using sockets implementation.

2) what is BIS planning to do about this?

We try to do the best to make the Operation Flashpoint community and the users aware of the problem and we notified publisher of the game. We still need to investigate the entire situation to see if there's anything else we could do on behalf of the users of the game and the game community and we also need to wait for the response from the publisher concerning the problem.

It doesn't look to be OS specific problem and it seems to happen on any OS. It's more related to the settings of the TCP/IP protocol or firewall installed.

We try to do the best to make the Operation Flashpoint community and the users aware of the problem and we notified publisher of the game. We still need to investigate the entire situation to see if there's anything else we could do on behalf of the users of the game and the game community and we also need to wait for the response from the publisher concerning the problem.

If there's any way to tentatively patch OFP to prevent DirectPlay Mode from being used in versions 1.75-1.91, this would be a good start, just to prevent damage until the problem is fully resolved.

Thanks for the response.

Guest BratZ

No need to strongarm them, they are working on a solution.

Great job Petroiski. This is the most serious bug located to date...

@Maruk: I think this kind of thing will require a small patch won't it, I doubt it will be well received if it's only an announcement and people are still able to do this if they never saw it. sad_o.gif

EDIT: Great job also for everyone who reported this problem with clarity!

This thread is 6 months old... biggrin_o.gif

Yea great work!

Even though i don't know how to get into "DirectPlay" So there should'nt be any problemos smile_o.gif

I have to admit, I had it happen to me as well, but it was on a drive which just had games installed, so it wasn't too terrible. I wasn't sure if I should post it on this forum or not, since it seemed like too huge an issue to be caused by OFP.

Is this the SARS of OFP mulitplayer? Lets hope the player numbers dont drop... Gas mask addon anybody?

Even though i don't know how to get into "DirectPlay" So there should'nt be any problemos  smile_o.gif

Well I do, Our squad has played always with directplay and this nice little problem has occurred 4 times to our server, 3 times to me and there's at least 10 guys whose partition has got erased while OFP has done something when using directplay.

vittu että on niin syvältä perseestä ettei mikään oo ennen ollu niin syvällä.

Guest BratZ

This thread is 6 months old...  biggrin_o.gif

LOL then why did YOU reopen it? Don't blame me. I replied to posts that were about 3 hrs old,lol lol

I just wanted to show that this is not a new problem.

Im sure there is people out there with the same basic questions as i ... so... Just out of interest, exactly what is Direct Play and is there any advantage with using it?

Well,i posted that before the answer from Maruk ( thankyou)Enough of the nitpicking now....

Directplay is altenative method for Sockets implementation for OFP Multiplayer. OFP's in-game voice is disabled with Sockets but works with Directplay.

The two threads about this have been merged smile_o.gif

I think this can also happen if DirectPlay is not properly installed.. (?) rock.gif

I just realized that my DirectX 9 installation crashes in the end, and all except DirectPlay stuff get installed just fine (dxdiag shows warnings on the network page), that might be the reason why all files got deleted also, when i plugged my other computer in, and tried to make host on LAN..