Sign in to follow this  
Czarny

Ofp deleting everything on harddisk!

Needless to say, I'm a bit disappointed in this game, it reminds me of why I never used to play PC games on my old PC, too much hassle having to alter your system just to get games to work, seems better on a console. Just stick it in and play. I didn't get this PC to play games on really, more for video editing, but thought I'd get this game as I like army ones, and I thought the PC would handle it no problem, which it should by rights. I have no problems with anything else.

Thanks,

Mark.

huh, where´d that come from rock.gif

I´m happy with OFP and with BIS aswell. Never had a game as good as OFP with such a long playability. Maybe OFP has some Probs with newer Videocards but, hell, it´s an almost 3 years old game and the developer still cares about the community and fixes bugs for free ! regarding ofp´s todays retail prices and what you get for your money i can´t understand what you´re complaining about...

and welcome to the forums smile_o.gif

..if i forgot to say anything i come back tounge_o.gif

HD462 before you go shouting your mouth off with rubbish

Please respond in a slightly less inflammatory manner.

And that includes mentioning Fifa games, everyone knows Pro Evolution Soccer is vastly superior mad_o.gifwink_o.gif

First of all, I wasn't shooting my mouth off at all, just stating facts, and came to the manufacturers site hoping to find a fix, not find more people with the same fault.

I don't care whether you work in It or not, a lot of users don't, and shouldn't be expected to know lots of techie stuff to get games to work. Hence the fuel and engine analogy. Another way to put it could be that to drive a car, the driver shouldn't need to also be a mechanic. He should to be able to drive the car without having to know the inner workings of it.

I've since bought Delta Force Black Hawk Down too, again no problems with this either. It runs like a dream, and the multiplayer function works fine. So out of three war games, OFP is the only one to cause problems. Plus other games on the PC work fine too, some are even old ones off my old PC.

I wasn't slagging the game off, I'd really like it to work as well as the others do, but it doesn't, and asking people to spend money upgrading hardware, when other games play on it perfectly isn't the answer to me.

And yes, it should be fit for purpose, or if there are known problems as there obviously are looking on here, then it should say on the box, "Not suitable for nVidia Graphics cards" or similar. My PC exceeds all the specs quoted on the packaging, which is all buyers have to go by.

But I wasn't shooting my mouth off, as you put it. sad_o.gif

Needless to say, I'm a bit disappointed in this game, it reminds me of why I never used to play PC games on my old PC, too much hassle having to alter your system just to get games to work, seems better on a console. Just stick it in and play. I didn't get this PC to play games on really, more for video editing, but thought I'd get this game as I like army ones, and I thought the PC would handle it no problem, which it should by rights. I have no problems with anything else.

Thanks,

Mark.

huh, where´d that come from  rock.gif

I´m happy with OFP and with BIS aswell. Never had a game as good as OFP with such a long playability. Maybe OFP has some Probs with newer Videocards but, hell, it´s an almost 3  years old game and the developer still cares about the community and fixes bugs for free ! regarding ofp´s todays retail prices and what you get for your money i can´t understand what you´re complaining about...

and welcome to the forums  smile_o.gif

..if i forgot to say anything i come back  tounge_o.gif

Hi Mister burns, thanks for the welcome. wink_o.gif

I didn't realise the game was 3 years old, it looks a lot newer than that. Even so though, no matter how much it costs, you expect it to work, but it does explain why it might have probs with newer graphics cards.

Maybe this new style packing could have had a warning about nVidia cards on it, that would help keep people from buying it who it wasn't suitable for. Like I say, I have downloaded the patches they've done but it doesn't work. Best just put it down to experience I think.

The other games I bought have an nVidia logo on the box, and specifically say they suited to it. So maybe thats the thing to look out for in future. smile_o.gif

Cheers.

It's not just the newer Nvidia cards that OFP doesn't like.

Pay no attention to the people being rude to you. sad_o.gif

hi HD462.

i´m sure if you stick your nose a bit deeper in the game and these forums the ofp-fever will catch you like us many others here. despite the few issues with new hardware ofp is really the greatest combat simulator you can get..

imo the gaming experience will be worth searching these forums for the solution of your problem  wink_o.gif

to pick up your car/mechanix example: ok, you must not also be a mechanic to drive a car. but if you are, the car may drive longer and or better/faster.

i hope you know what i mean..

btw: toadlife: you mean me being rude ? if so: sorry, that wasn´t intended

btw: toadlife: you mean me being rude ? if so: sorry, that wasn´t intended

No wasn't referring to you. smile_o.gif

Thanks for the advice Mr Burns, but I've decided to un-install it. I'm happy with the other games I've got, and have had a few more looks around the forum, and there does seem to be lots of different problems people have.

So I'll just stick to what works for me I think.

Cheers anyway.

Just found this article:

http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/

Danger! OFP can delete your entire disk partition.

Several OFP players have reported having entire directories or even complete disk partitions deleted at some point while playing OFP. At first, this was generally dismissed as a general PC error affecting a random handful of players for some unknown reason.

However, On June 12, 2003, BIS admitted that there is a bug in OFP versions 1.75 through 1.91 that can cause this problem under the following circumstances:

If the user creates a multiplayer server in DirectPlay mode and the TCP/IP protocol is not fully supported or is not working properly (e.g., it's disabled under Windows Network settings or there's a firewall disabling TCP/IP).

The problem can never happen when running an OFP multiplayer server in Sockets mode, when playing single player missions or campaigns and when playing under OFP 1.46 and below under any circumstances.

Therefore, in order to avoid the risk of data loss on your PC, BIS strongly recommends that you do not create any multiplayer servers in DirectPlay mode when running OFP versions 1.75 through 1.91.

More information will be presented as details become available.

I think a lot of people saw that on Avon's site. This is relatively old news, by the way. All problems were mostly ended with the 1.94 patch, I believe.