Sign in to follow this  
Czarny

Ofp deleting everything on harddisk!

However, I'm curious. You knew about the bug, didn't you? So why did you do it? rock.gif

Because:

1. I usually don't use DPlay - actually hadn't used it since Resistance came out but for a few FDF games lately on Kyllikki when our own server was down

2. I played on a Sockets server inbetween playing on Kyllikki server and editing my mission - still the local host went to DPLay mode for whatever reason

3. I didn't check twice at 3 o'clock in the morning

4. I had read BIS' announcement when it came out, but didn't pay (enough) attention to it, as I hadn't played any DirectPlay games for a year at that point...

Well, I'm just setting up OFP now on its own 3GB partition, so I won't be buggered by this problem anymore. Still I hope they patch it asap!

However, I'm curious. You knew about the bug, didn't you? So why did you do it? rock.gif

He did it? Gimme a break. It was OFP. He accidentally started an OFP server in directplay mode and that caused the famous OFP's mother-of-all-bugs to him.

I as a commanding officer of LDD Kyllikki am very sorry to you because we kind of caused this happen to you. Actually I was considering that I post a warning of this to our forums, but I didn't want to do that because it wouldn't be fair to BIS and CM.

He did it? Gimme a break.

Well, yes, he did it. So I asked why?

Quote[/b] ] It was OFP. He accidentally started an OFP server in directplay mode and that caused the famous OFP's mother-of-all-bugs to him.

Well, yes, that was his answer. I though that since he knew about the bug, there might have been an intentional reason to do this. So I was curious.

That's all. smile_o.gif

There's no reason, he accidentally used the directplay mode. Forgot to enable Sockets. It happens and it's all right. But this game shouldn't erase your files because you forget something. This is ridicilous.

There is an extremely serious bug, and definitely needs to have a fix-patch released ASAP... crazy_o.gif

I as a commanding officer of LDD Kyllikki am very sorry to you because we kind of caused this happen to you. Actually I was considering that I post a warning of this to our forums, but I didn't want to do that because it wouldn't be fair to BIS and CM.

Na, it's a bug - not Kyllikki's fault for admitting guests to play on their nice server! If I had been using DPlay on a regular base the ports would have been open and everything would have been fine. The bug is most dangerous to people who don't use DPlay very often, as they usually haven't opened the relevant ports. Just like it happened to me.

sad_o.gif

And no Avon, I did not loose a few GB of data 'just for fun'... ;)

Just a related comment, probably not even to do with the devastated HDD problem.

I don't touch the DPlay button because the couple of times I tried to scan for DPlay servers and host with DPlay my computer has frozen. Not blue screened, just frozen still until I reset. I don't recall what FAT corruption I had afterwards because its a while since I've tried other than sockets, and I've reformatted since that time.

Also, when I first read someone who blamed OFP for corrupted partition I dismissed them, but the evidence is clear now.

I think if BIS wanted to minimize changes, they may be able to just disable the menu button to prevent that driver from being used.

It is completely unacceptable that this problem exists within OFP, and BIS has made no effort to warn its customers. I have just experienced the loss of over 60 GB of data due to this bug in OFP. Why does this happen in the first place? Why has BIS/Codemasters not warned its customers through mail or on its website? Surely they are not expecting their customers to read forums? Why has this bug not been fixed in an emergency patch? Why is "DirectPlay" the DEFAULT when creating a server, while it is KNOWN FOR A LONG TIME that it possibly causes the loss of data? Answer me those questions, and apologize, else you can forget any future purchases from my part.

It is patched in an emergency patch 1.92. As for the warnings, I don't know about the reasons.

Funny, this "emergency patch" is nowhere to be found on BIS' or Codemaster's websites. I guess that shows how much they care about their customers.

I'm sure as soon as 1.92 becomes final release (it's currently Beta), it will appear in the OFP official downloads section...

Funny, this "emergency patch" is nowhere to be found on BIS' or Codemaster's websites. I guess that shows how much they care about their customers.

If you've been around since July 2001 as your membership info states you should know they care plenty about their customers, you should also know they do a hell of a lot more for this community than most other game companies do smile_o.gif

I'll make my own mind up about BIS' customer service. Their failure to handle this very serious defect in their software is enough reason for me to completely lose any faith I had in them. One cannot help but wonder what damage future BIS products may cause. Operation Flashpoint 2: Clean Sweep (featuring low-level format at random intervals, the fastest in the industry!), anyone?

Operation Flashpoint 2: Clean Sweep (featuring low-level format at random intervals, the fastest in the industry!), anyone?

LOL!

I sympathize with you, though I would assume the task of mass-mailing registered owners about the problem is Codemaster's responsibility, as registration is with them and not with BIS.

Well, a notice on their websites (i.e. the page I get to see when I type www.flashpoint1985.com or www.codemasters.com) is the very least I expect. Right now, the average customer, who does not read these forums, is unaware of the damage the currently official version of OFP can cause.

Quote[/b] ]Why has BIS/Codemasters not warned its customers through mail or on its website? Surely they are not expecting

their customers to read forums?

We're very sorry for your data lost. We feel very depressed about this issue and we made all effort that we could to prevent it.

We notified Codemasters, publisher of the game, about the problem immediately after we recognized it We also posted an annoucement in our Flashnews forum section, including detailed problem description and safety precautions necessary to avoid it. We don't have any other reasonable meaning of communication with users of Operation Flashopint than this.

Quote[/b] ]Why has this bug not been fixed in an emergency patch?

Such emergency patch is recently in development. Releasing a new patch to such complex game is very difficult and costly operation and it takes time. The patch is at the moment at 1.92Betaversion avaiable.

Quote[/b] ]Why is "DirectPlay" the DEFAULT when creating a server, while it is KNOWN FOR A LONG TIME that it possibly causes the loss of data?

As far as I know, DirectPlay is not (and never was) default when creating the server.

We understand your frustration. More likely, using some undelete tool you shall be able to recover most of the data but we also can only recommend everyone to backup any important data as there are many things that could cause a data loss - SW or HW malfunction is quite common. Not having a back up copy of any important data is dangerous risk that you can't anyone for not having it.

Also, we're going to to continue in providing the best service possible to users of Operation Flashopint (we regulary supported users all the time from release of the game) and any of our upcoming games.

I see that the patch that *supposedly* fixes the catastrophic partition-wiping bug has still not been posted on the official sites represention OFP. Hence the newest version (1.91) downloaded by the average customers *still* contains the problem. I have no other words for this but YOU SUCK.

These are the official forums, it can be downloaded from a link in the news forum here.

I can understand you being irked however flaming is a breach of forum rules so please refrain from flaming again.

So what made ofp delete partitions?, In ofp 1.75 - 1.91 it rarly happens under specific conditions but what is the logical reason for the deletion of a HD partition if you dont mind disclosing...? Someone put something they shouldent in the soarce code? rock.giftounge_o.gif

P.S. i aint askin for soarce code relese however if you want then feel free lol smile_o.gif

Oh can this error happen with 1.00 - 1.46?

So what made ofp delete partitions?, In ofp 1.75 - 1.91 it rarly happens under specific conditions but what is the logical reason for the deletion of a HD partition if you dont mind disclosing...? Someone put something they shouldent in the soarce code? rock.giftounge_o.gif

P.S. i aint askin for soarce code relese however if you want then feel free lol smile_o.gif

Oh can this error happen with 1.00 - 1.46?

The answer to all of your questions are in this thread.

These are the official forums, it can be downloaded from a link in the news forum here.

I can understand you being irked however flaming is a breach of forum rules so please refrain from flaming again.

I'm new to Operation Flashpoint, but the way this forum appears to be run doesn't give the impression of it being the official forums.

I was desperate to post the problems its causing on a brand new PC, and its taken FIVE days for my account to be activated so I can post messages. I run a number of forums, and make a point of activating accounts within hours, not days.

I've very disappointed to see all the problems people have, and losing data from the hard disk is unacceptable. I'm considering taking the game back to the store as it's "not fit for purpose".

The main problems I have seem to be covered in the nVidia FX5600 thread.

Brand new PC, and I've had the green screen problem a couple of times. Game locks the whole computer up if I click on the Multiplayer option (one thing I was looking forward to being able to try). When playing the same in single player, the sound will start to go slowly all of a sudden, and sometimes the PC just reboots for no apparaent reason mid-game.

I've downloaded the patches available, and updated the driver to the latest one (1.94beta), but no difference. I saw the add-ons folder mentioned, mine stands at around 50mb, just what is made at install, nothing extra in it.

From the limited use I've had from the game, I was very impressed with the graphics and game play, but these major problems make it just not worth the hassle unless BHI has a cure. I was very surprised to see so many people with the same problem on that thread. Everthing else works fine on the PC, and a similar game I bought at the same time (Conflict Desert Storm) works fine. So it's obviously a fault in the game. The PC rebooting spontaneously is particularly worrying in case it does any long term damage to this new PC.

The PC should easily handle the game I think, spec below:

P4 3.06

W XP Home

160gb HD

512mb DDR Ram

256mb NVidia FX5600

I'd like to get the game working properly, but reading this forum it doesn't look like its going to happen. I'll post in the FX5600 thread too, as most of this post is more appropriate to there.

Needless to say, I'm a bit disappointed in this game, it reminds me of why I never used to play PC games on my old PC, too much hassle having to alter your system just to get games to work, seems better on a console. Just stick it in and play. I didn't get this PC to play games on really, more for video editing, but thought I'd get this game as I like army ones, and I thought the PC would handle it no problem, which it should by rights. I have no problems with anything else.

Thanks,

Mark.

HD462 before you go shouting your mouth off with rubbish such as "This game is not for purpose" please consider that many games if not all PC software has bugs and faults (EG WINDOWS), even the brand new Fifa 2004 needs patching in order for users of some game pads to be able to play.

I expect even the operating system your running has bugs and crashes, I'd bet my families life on that, and I expect your not the first user to have a crash and thought ffs.

I work in ICT and their is no way that this persons hard drive was damaged by Flashpoint. The fact that he did a reset is, I bet if you were to sit there reseting your PC everyday your drive would become fragmented and damaged.

Its entirely upto you take this game back, I know what I'd say if you came to my shop with the reason you state asking for a refund. After I stopped laughing I'd ask you to write to Codemasters with your commments.

I bet they'd write back and say that your problem is user related and nothing to do with their software and that any problems should be passed to technical services and that you may want to try updating drivers on your system and patching the game.

If I complained and took back every faulty game or software I'd ever had I'd be sat at home now playing how fast can I get in and out of the bios game lol.

As for the forum taking days to create your user account I think you should be thankful that you are still here.

If you don't it like don't post here. There are thousends and thousends of satisfied players of OFP world wide who have had problems.

PC random restarts is usually down to hardware faults, I had to fix 3 faults at work this week with PC's restarting. 2 were damaged CPU's and the other a dodgy graphics card.