Sign in to follow this  
Silent N Deadly

Idea for getting larger playing space...

Is it possible to have a built in trigger so that when players reach the end of the map another map activated and changed just for the person that's in the trigger. So what I am saying is maybe have triggers on each side of the map that when you go a direction all the way to the end when you reach the end of the current map another map is launched and changed for the players in the trigger. That would be so cool. It would make the map bigger, so when you want to go to Malden from Everon you just fly to the end of the map. Then the trigger is activated and the other map loads. Then you keep flying and you reach the other map. So you don't have to change map throught the main editor. You can then link all the islands together. And you have a big island chain. What do you guys think? Could it be possible? By scripts? confused.gif

You can make it so that a new mission would load when you fly off. It would be just like that mission in the CWC campaign with the A-10s. So, you'd fly off of say, Everon, and a new mission would load with you in Malden.

I'm not quite sure how you do this, but you use the merge button to merge two missions and then triggers that end the mission when you fly off, so the next mission will start. I don't think you can link them in a circle though, so once you fly off the map, you can't go back confused.gif .

You could try though smile.gif .

Cheers

Mr B

The scripting approach still woldn't work for multiplayer.

After all bigger maps (up to 16 times: 50kmË›) are quite possible in OFP. I once made a map with Everon, Malden and Kolgujev and there weren't any problems with lag.

The only problem I encoutered was the 512 texture limit per map. The original maps all used over 250 textures so I had to make compromises there.

From what I've read, OFP2 won't have much limitations concerning map size smile.gif

How the bloody hell did you do that Romolus!!!!!

well done however u did it! - HOW???!

I'm working on a program to create bigger maps than the normal sized ones you can do with WRPEdit. Placing objects is still a thing on the todo list since it will need a GUI for this, but importing terrain and objects from normal wrp files is allready possible (but far from any public release)

So the 3 in 1 map is just a test map where I imported the terrain and the objects from the original islands and combied them into one big map with lots of water between them.

There is still the issue with the textures and some problems with forest on steep hills but I use it as a testmap for plane addons where it's nice to have a bit more space smile.gif

I hear that Star-Wars mod is going to have "endless" plains With random hills and objects. That is what i am guessing only but a contact of mine told me that they were working on a way to do just that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Romolus @ 11 May 2003,12:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So the 3 in 1 map is just a test map where I imported the terrain and the objects from the original islands and combied them into one big map with lots of water between them.

There is still the issue with the textures and some problems with forest on steep hills but I use it as a testmap for plane addons where it's nice to have a bit more space smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm how about releasing this "test map" to public wink.gif.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N.o.R.S.u @ 11 May 2003,16:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm how about releasing this "test map" to public ;).<span id='postcolor'>

Like I mentioned in the earlier posts there are still some issues with the textures. The 3 seperate islands had too many textures to put them into one big map. Right now only Everon has it's original textures and Malden + Kolgujev are only covered with a basic green grass texture (no beach, no airfield,...).

So there is still some work to do until you even can think of a release. I also need to ask BIS for permission since I only put their original islands together in one map.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr B @ 11 May 2003,08:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You can make it so that a new mission would load when you fly off. It would be just like that mission in the CWC campaign with the A-10s. So, you'd fly off of say, Everon, and a new mission would load with you in Malden.

I'm not quite sure how you do this, but you use the merge button to merge two missions and then triggers that end the mission when you fly off, so the next mission will start. I don't think you can link them in a circle though, so once you fly off the map, you can't go back  confused.gif .

You could try though  smile.gif .

Cheers

Mr B<span id='postcolor'>

Because if you look in the Campaign description,you can see TWO mission. When you fly to Kolgujev it loads another mission without intro or briefing. smile.gif

BTW GREAT IDEA FOR OFP2!!! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (reedkiller @ 11 May 2003,16:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Aye! A tech demo of sorts would be nice<span id='postcolor'>

There is allready a techdemo for bigger maps from a_lone_Wolf called wrpdouble and wrpquad.

The plan was to release the 3 in 1 map as some kind of playable techdemo (wrpdouble and wrpquad had quite some lag) but it's simly not ready yet.

Be patience smile.gif

I thought special permission had to be given only to modifications of Nogova. Since you need CWC to play you already have the islands and your HD and now they are onky put together. But i am not sure did Zwadar and the other island modifiers need permission to do their islands?