Sign in to follow this  
haunted

Ofp as a "professional game"

This is the only real suggestion I have for OFP. I know BIS will make a brilliant game, both in SP and MP, but I really want to play it "professionally" for prizes at LAN events across the world. The OFP MP Community is sure to grow with OFP2 and after speaking to members of UKA (the team im a member of) who I would never associate with Pro Gaming they have said they would love to do it.

However this would need BIS and Codemasters support, and I suggest they support it as much as possible to help their community grow and help sales of the best tactical shooter in the world.

After all, I read in magazines or whatever of CS players and teams who battle it out for thousands of pounds to play a game they love, well I want the same...

Opinions?

Although I'd like this too, professional game tournaments are organised on merit of amount of people who like/ play the game in question. Although I personally think OFP is the best game ever, it does not appeal to the prolateriat ;to the arcadey CS players; to the general public.

'Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise half of them are stupider than that'

So if it were to appeal to a 'wider' audience, it'd have to be dumbed down:

CS USED to be fairly realistic. Weapons used to be more effective when crouching and were able to kill in 1 headshot. Then they made it appeal to the great unwashed masses and it became quake with real looking weapons.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Baron Hurlothrumbo IIX @ 30 April 2003,20:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Then they made it appeal to the great unwashed masses and it became quake with real looking weapons.<span id='postcolor'>

Just ask Lars.

Denoir, please don't translate! wow.gifcrazy.gif

OMG! Get a life FFS!!! wow.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpeedyDonkey @ 30 April 2003,22:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hey damn thats me<span id='postcolor'>

Good thing you left your hockey stick at home.

crazy.gif now that's pretty hard to believe confused.gif that guy need some care fast

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OMG! Get a life FFS!!! <span id='postcolor'>

Hmm, ok, I have a life, I go to college, have a job, get drunk every weekend, smoke, have loads of mates and have had my fair share of girls.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> now that's pretty hard to believe that guy need some care fast<span id='postcolor'>

About 3 years ago, even thinking of playing Quake 2 for money was looked at the same way.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Darn, and I thought games was for relaxation

Maybe he's a nOOb?<span id='postcolor'>

1: im not a n00b, aski anyone thats played me or my clan, or if your the Mr. Duck from MAFIA you would know that we already beat you guys all over the shop.

2: If I wanna relax I'll play for fun, if I wanna compete I'll play in a league.

Now, forgive me for being blunt, but eveyone wants to have their dream job, am I wrong? Am I also wrong in saying that the people who play in the ladders such as EFL, TCZ or WarGames play OFP competitively because at the end of the day it is a lot more fun for a lot of people. Now, take the prizes up a notch or two, instead of just clan status of winning a league season or a banner as a trophy, you win thousands of pounds/ dollars etc. at a LAN centre in a tournament for OFP or OFP2, where you also get to travel throghout the country and the world, doing, essentially, what you love.

Sad? Please, sad is the fact that people are too scared to take it to the next level, or scared of actually playing a game they love for money in case their mates dont like it.

Need Care? Ok, sorry for thinking beyond the realms of "now" and into the future where people could in fact be playing this game for money.

Face facts those who think of gaming as just a past time, its getting bigger business every day, and has grown into a multibillion dollar industry, it is therefore, becoming more and more mature, and I think, and hope of the possibility that one day me and a few of my team mates wont be across Britain playing some other squad, but across the hall from them, on LAN connections.

And if you say you wouldnt like the possibility of making thousands of pounds for travelling the country and playing a game you love, your lieing.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (haunted @ 01 May 2003,03:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OMG! Get a life FFS!!! <span id='postcolor'>

Hmm, ok, I have a life, I go to college, have a job, get drunk every weekend, smoke, have loads of mates and have had my fair share of girls.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> now that's pretty hard to believe  that guy need some care fast<span id='postcolor'>

About 3 years ago, even thinking of playing Quake 2 for money was looked at the same way.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Darn, and I thought games was for relaxation  

1: im not a n00b, aski anyone thats played me or my clan, or if your the Mr. Duck from MAFIA you would know that we already beat you guys all over the shop.

2: If I wanna relax I'll play for fun, if I wanna compete I'll play in a league.

Now, forgive me for being blunt, but eveyone wants to have their dream job, am I wrong? Am I also wrong in saying that the people who play in the ladders such as EFL, TCZ or WarGames play OFP competitively because at the end of the day it is a lot more fun for a lot of people. Now, take the prizes up a notch or two, instead of just clan status of winning a league season or a banner as a trophy, you win thousands of pounds/ dollars etc. at a LAN centre in a tournament for OFP or OFP2, where you also get to travel throghout the country and the world, doing, essentially, what you love.

Sad? Please, sad is the fact that people are too scared to take it to the next level, or scared of actually playing a game they love for money in case their mates dont like it.

Need Care? Ok, sorry for thinking beyond the realms of "now" and into the future where people could in fact be playing this game for money.

Face facts those who think of gaming as just a past time, its getting bigger business every day, and has grown into a multibillion dollar industry, it is therefore, becoming more and more mature, and I think, and hope of the possibility that one day me and a few of my team mates wont be across Britain playing some other squad, but across the hall from them, on LAN connections.

And if you say you wouldnt like the possibility of making thousands of pounds for travelling the country and playing a game you love, your lieing.<span id='postcolor'>

huh? was that you in the video?

LOL! oh man thats scary. People take things so seriously lol.

"Just ask Lars."

He's not even good at getting ticked off. smile.gif I mean, he didn't even rip off the headphones or knock out the keyboard. tounge.gif

This guy needs lessons in rage. Or he should shut up and be quiet. crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (haunted @ 01 May 2003,03:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OMG! Get a life FFS!!! <span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> now that's pretty hard to believe  that guy need some care fast<span id='postcolor'>

And if you say you wouldnt like the possibility of making thousands of pounds for travelling the country and playing a game you love, your lieing.<span id='postcolor'>

Haunted.....my response (and I think a lot of those under Avon's post) were to do with the video she posted.

As for OFP being a pro game....sure, I'd love to see it. But I doubt it. I have no problems with pro-gaming....I watch most of the finals of Q3 comps around the world.....good viewing while having my lunch...beats the hell outa Oprah! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">beats the hell outa Oprah!<span id='postcolor'>Maybe but not Dr Phil

Btw, i think they were married a while ago

dr_phil_282.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now, forgive me for being blunt, but eveyone wants to have their dream job, am I wrong? Am I also wrong in saying that the people who play in the ladders such as EFL, TCZ or WarGames play OFP competitively because at the end of the day it is a lot more fun for a lot of people. Now, take the prizes up a notch or two, instead of just clan status of winning a league season or a banner as a trophy, you win thousands of pounds/ dollars etc. at a LAN centre in a tournament for OFP or OFP2, where you also get to travel throghout the country and the world, doing, essentially, what you love.<span id='postcolor'>

Oh, i perfectly agree, everyone will dream to make the exact job they want and live like a king because of it.

But when it takes to one of my hobby , videogame here, all i can see when "thousand of pounds/dollars" are the goal , is that it seems plain wrong for me.

Unfortunately i have something that always make me think about people that really have to work hard to gain their money , and some of those people that die not very old because of the result of their difficult job on their health (i had some example of this in my family).

But it is not limited to videogame , i find "professional" gaming money earning as wrong as "professional" sport thousand and thousand and .... dollars money earning and for every other hobby like that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Haunted.....my response (and I think a lot of those under Avon's post) were to do with the video she posted.

As for OFP being a pro game....sure, I'd love to see it. But I doubt it. I have no problems with pro-gaming....I watch most of the finals of Q3 comps around the world.....good viewing while having my lunch...beats the hell outa Oprah<span id='postcolor'> Then I apologise smile.gif

I disagree that its wrong to make money from this, after all, its not as if you havent practised. I have spent countless hours with UKA honing our teamwork and defense and attack, and just as much so with my personal skills.

videogames are my #1 hobby, but it's not because gaming a big business that mean that the only thing were gonna do from now on is play for busines

i'm playing for fun and I probly will for the rest of my life

Thats fair enough, I never said hey, you play OFP online, then you GOTTA play for money.

Maybe with the release of OFP2 the community will grow enough for OFP as a professional game to be considered, then those who want to play for fun can, whilst those who wish to partake in playing for money AND fun can also.

ya, but I think this should not be supported by BIS and/or Codemasters really since to what i'm aware, this game as been primarily made to make something new for the gaming industry and to bring something many demanded or wished to see for a long time, and not to become a profesionnal game.....BIS please correct me if i'm wrong smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">this game as been primarily made to make something new for the gaming industry and to bring something many demanded or wished to see for a long time<span id='postcolor'> Of course it was, after all so many people involved with the military (or wish they were) have brought it as a stop gap between leaving (or actually joining, and risking) the forces. But BIS cant expect to do the same thing again in a different setting. Yes, we'll buy it, and maybe the million people who own it will, but I have no doubts that BIS will want to be mighty ambitious with OFP and create something in both SP and MP, and one of those things is pro gaming.

How do I know BIS will be very ambitious with OFP2??

They made OFP.

Playing for money is a trend in its infancy that is becoming slowly more popular. What better way for a company to market their new mouse, vr-headgear, or a ton of other items than by having a league actually use it in a sponsored event against another team.

TechTv did a piece not too long ago on a paid and sponsored group, playing Halflife, who did fairly well and were nicely rewarded for their efforts. Of course you could see the marketting tags of the sponsors flying proudly, (as they should be).

In the end it helps boost a sponsors income by providing not only a tested item, (but) a psychology edge by having a winning team using it.

Everyone likes a winner.

Welcome to the new Circus Maximus.