Sign in to follow this  
OxPecker

Ofp2 set in vietnam

So what's the vibe from the OFP community?

Are we happy for OFP2 to be a 'Nam based game, or would we be happier if it had been like OFP:CWC - set in a fictional setting.

Personally, I think a setting like Vietnam mike be a little too restrictive when it comes to making custom missions, or, for that matter, making addons, new islands etc.

So have your vote, and give your reasons. wink.gif

Keep in mind that OFP2 -- just like OFP -- is a powerful engine designed with expansion in mind.

You'll still be able to create new islands, vehicles, weapons and units. The fact that the out-of-the-box game is set in one particular time and location doesn't mean that you are locked into it.

True - but I hope they don't hold out on us with the modding tools as long as they did for OFP (Oxygen, Visitor)

Personnally my preference would have gone to fictionnal settings , more an era as the cold war than just a specific conflict.

And worse, no Evil General Guba anymore ! wink.gif

But i know some talented people will be there to make some addons to change the game setting ( return of Evil General guba ? wink.gif )

I just wonder if they'll be able to make their Hueys look better than the ones in the 2nd Nam Pack. That could be quite a challenge. biggrin.gif

I have deep thoughts that OFP 2 will be set in Vietnam during the harsh year of '68. But I like a good fictional plot. biggrin.gif

Guest BratZ

I really don't care what era it involves actually,as long as there are engine changes,lol

But ya Vietnam is kewl, the technology and warfare of that time and of course ,chopper usage

A good vietnam sim hasnt been done IMHO

But I don't care where its from even as I am american and heard things like if it doesnt involve americans then we wouldnt buy it, but thats not so,there was alot of wars scenarios we were not involved in and I could learn more about them that way

But yes ,Vietnam because of my famililarity with it, I could immerse in something like that

Well i dont know if you Saw this but i found it on the BIS site so lookie here:

Operation Flashpoint 2, a true sequel to the million-selling military simulator, is in design and development by Bohemia Interactive. Focussing on another theatre of modern-historical warfare, Operation Flashpoint 2 will introduce 2nd generation Flashpoint Engine for the ultimate military gaming experience with even more realism, freedom and immersion than the original Operation Flashpoint.

Main Features

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Experience the intensity of modern-historical warfare

Drive and fly authentic vehicles and aircraft

Command large squads with plenty of tactical and strategic options

Play the campaign or solo missions

Explore large battlezones based on real locations

Create your own mission and scenarios using intuitive built-in mission editor

Full multiplayer support

it doesent matter where the campaign is because you can make a mod for it as long they make the Engine much and much better and make it easyer for the mod makers to make good mod's

That's true, people can even now start making new models for OFP2 and then import them when tools are released. And if you have seen the first "screenshot" (soldier with M60) you'll see that the muzzle flash and weapon model looks just like from OFP1. So maybe we can use old addons without any bigger modifications wink.gif.

Personally I voted no for Vietnam, I would like to see a Korean War or some fictional 60s-70s war in Europe.

IMHO... For the love of God - not vietnam. We already have an excellent SEB Nam pack to play with. I would rather it would be a fictional setting, and more modern. If it were to be set in the 'nam era, then I'll still buy it, but only for the sake of engine changes and other modifications (if there are to be any).

I would say fiction, it never becomes quite right when you try to simulate events in games. It's fun to play but i like fiction better. It's like if the RS series were based on real CT operations.... oh i would feel down-right dirty using the heart-beat sensor.

My first thought was "Oh no, please not NAM"

Well i dunno if that could be as cool as the cold war crisis i will badly miss the Reds.

Hope BIS will release the tools much earlier this time so we can make us something different.

Somehow i think they picked the NAM setting to show what their new Engine can do.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Scorpio @ April 17 2003,11:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">IMHO... For the love of God - not vietnam. We already have an excellent SEB Nam pack to play with.<span id='postcolor'>

Seb Nam pack is fine, but the island is not good, it eats your fps and has some bugs..

while OFP-"cold war crisis" was released,it is the best game that we can experience <span style='color:red'>"MODERN WAR"</span> in a game.not WWII which was presented in Medal of Honor or BF1942.I like it,because it is <span style='color:red'>unique!!!</span>

But now the OFP2 seems would have a crash to a released game <span style='color:red'>"Vietcon"which was not bad,And not exactly "On Topic of Modern War"</span> in my mind,How we can expected it the two with same theme?

Another way,,Only the engine of Ofp can present modern War with such perfect effect.Don't loose the good pick the bad.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N.o.R.S.u @ April 17 2003,11:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That's true, people can even now start making new models for OFP2 and then import them when tools are released. And if you have seen the first "screenshot" (soldier with M60) you'll see that the muzzle flash and weapon model looks just like from OFP1. So maybe we can use old addons without any bigger modifications wink.gif.

Personally I voted no for Vietnam, I would like to see a Korean War or some fictional 60s-70s war in Europe.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually you can also see the the island and the trees jsut look like modified malden :-/.

If you look concentrated on the webside, I believe you can see what OFP2 will be about. I think it will be a journey through the time. The flashvideo comes on 68, if you think it a yearnumbers its 1968 = Vietnam.

If your think the other numbers a yearnumbers too:

(19)21

(19)25

(19)30 = VTV Network Screen

(19)35

(19)40

(19)45

(19)50 = I dont know how to describe

(19)55

(19)60

(19)65

(19)68

The weapon in the video seems to be a M60

The non active selector is from 1-12, i would say that are months

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (quakergamer @ April 17 2003,14:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N.o.R.S.u @ April 17 2003,11:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That's true, people can even now start making new models for OFP2 and then import them when tools are released. And if you have seen the first "screenshot" (soldier with M60) you'll see that the muzzle flash and weapon model looks just like from OFP1. So maybe we can use old addons without any bigger modifications wink.gif.

Personally I voted no for Vietnam, I would like to see a Korean War or some fictional 60s-70s war in Europe.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually you can also see the the island and the trees jsut look like modified malden :-/.<span id='postcolor'>

seems bis is now redeveloping the old engine.

Hope to see bug fixed and a more powerful one.

Not only the "official Nam Mod". sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MP Studio @ April 17 2003,15:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you look concentrated on the webside, I believe you can see what OFP2 will be about. I think it will be a journey through the time. The flashvideo comes on 68, if you think it a yearnumbers its 1968 = Vietnam.

(19)21

(19)25

(19)35

(19)40

(19)45

(19)55

(19)60

(19)65

(19)68

The non active selector is from 1-12, i would say that are months<span id='postcolor'>

They will have a lot of weapons, islands and vehicles to make if this is true.

Very dissapointing to see it`s becoming NAM era sad.gif

I`ll buy it eventual when it becomes a cheap sale in the stores tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MP Studio @ April 17 2003,15<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you look concentrated on the webside, I believe you can see what OFP2 will be about. I think it will be a journey through the time. The flashvideo comes on 68, if you think it a yearnumbers its 1968 = Vietnam.

(19)21

(19)25

(19)35

(19)40

(19)45

(19)55

(19)60

(19)65

(19)68

The non active selector is from 1-12, i would say that are months<span id='postcolor'>

I think this is the smartest explanation so far...maybe they are not going to release it all in one game, maybe OFP2 is more like the backbone for a modular system which will be able to cover war scenarios from different periods.

BIS then would provide the modules one after another...which means I am doomed for the next years....sheesh I was hoping to be able to get away from OFP in a distant future...

Guest BratZ

K i voted that I am ok with Vietnam and after reading this and another OFP2 discussion,I agree that people do want modern technology and it really should be based on todays conflict.

If they were working on it now and by the time they release ,it could match the current war.

Just that I was hoping for heavy usage of choppers like during the Vietnam war ,but the modern conflict would use the OFP engine better and would be more of a training sim for soldiers.

But I am wondering still how they are gonna make VBS for the military unique for them? Maybe we are getting the Vietnam scenario and the govt version will be modern war? So they can train and we can play maybe is the idea?

I don't know why everybody wants ultra-modern units so badly...of course it would be nice to have all those fancy high-tech units but...

I think modern warfare is not suited for the type of joint warfare OFP is good at...well it maybe is for singleplayer but not for MP. Tanks with thermal sights? Where the heck am I supposed to hide then? Submerged in a river?

Even the G36 caused balancing problems in MP back in the days, let alone BAS Sopmod ACOG or other scoped assault rifles..I agree those weapons rock but it's very hard to implement in multiplayer P vs. P maps....they are simply too powerful. The BAS 249 SAW is like a friggin' scoped Unreal nailgun.

I have an idea how the game could be. You start as a 20 year old man of US Army in WWI, you fight in WWII and get higher positions in the Army. Than you go to korea and the final is in Vietnam as a general. It would be possible, you would be 70 years in Vietnam smile.gif

But of course its only what i suppose....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Unatomber @ April 17 2003,08:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Scorpio @ April 17 2003,11:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">IMHO... For the love of God - not vietnam. We already have an excellent SEB Nam pack to play with.<span id='postcolor'>

Seb Nam pack is fine, but the island is not good, it eats your fps and has some bugs..<span id='postcolor'>

You hit it right on the head, besides their are ZERO good 'nam games out.

I can't beleive that after whining for sooooo long about OFP2 some of you people are gonna whine that the setting is no good.

Tell ya what, why don't YOU try to make a game as good as OFP and then see how you feel when people whine its not good enough.

Way to go BIS keep up the exceptional work!!! smile.gif