Sign in to follow this  
Jinef

Bas mh-47e

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (silent_64 @ April 19 2003,16:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, sure could use a MH47... Now (Or with in the next 2-3 days)(Do you boys sence the hint, asking to it's release date, just i can do with in a weekly basis this week or the next one) wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

You should know better than that by now...

"soon" is the ONLY DATE you're gonna get... so don't keep pestering..

Since I am a technical advisor for BAS among other things, and since I do have nearly 11 years and counting experience in the US Army, I felt it important to point out some details once again, in the interest of accuracy, after having read this and many other threads on the same type of issue.

1. Fast Roping is not Rappelling.

Fast roping is similar to sliding down a pole like firefighters use in fire stations. The Difference being, the Army uses a long three-inch wide rope thrown out of a hovering helicopter. Fast ropes come in lengths of of forty, sixty, eighty, and ninety-feet.

Fast roping requires a soldier to place the hands around the rope and free fall down to the ground. Just before landing, the soldier grips the rope to "break" the descent. This allows for a very rapid descent with a momentary stop before hitting the ground.

During a fast rope insertion, several soldiers can slide down a single rope (The same rope) at one time, allowing a fast and efficient  disembarkation/insertion, which limits exposure time both for the helicopter, and the inserting force.

Fast Roping is the most frequently used method of insertion by helicopter for combat operations. The techniques used during Operation Restore Hope in 1993 by Task Force Ranger were fast rope insertions at several points simultaniously.

2. Rappelling is not Fast Roping.

Definition:

rap·pel [r? pél] vi (past rap·pelled, past participle rap·pelled, present participle rap·pel·ling, 3rd person present singular rap·pels) descend by rope: to descend a steep slope or vertical face using a rope that is secured at the top and passed through a series of coils or a harness around the body.

U.K. term abseil v.

n descent by rappelling: a descent made by rappelling.

U.K. term abseil n.

[Mid-20th century. From French , from Old French rapeler “to recall,†from apeler “to call.â€]

Rappelling requires the use of a harness or saddle, requires more extensive training to be done safely and properly, and additional takes longer to execute. During a rappel operation, only one person can descend on each rope at a time, and after landing must detach from the harness.

This takes time to accomplish, and is a limiting factor. I.E. A UH-60L Black Hawk helicopter can Deploy up to four Rappelling ropes at once, or up to four Fast Ropes at once. If rappelling is used, only four soldiers can insert at one time, and must reach the ground and disconnect, and then perform belay for following soldiers.

If the Fast Rope is used, two to three soldiers can slide down each rope at once, and can move to cover immediately upon reaching the ground. Soldiers are not physically connected to a fast rope, in fact they simply hold on with hands and feet. Belaying is not needed as the thick, heavy fast rope stays in place by itself, and is further stabilized for soldiers exiting the helicopter by the soldiers who are nearing the ground.

Using the Fast Rope technique, a helicopter can insert 25 to 30 soldiers in under 30 seconds, in any terrain, at night or during the day.

Rappelling does have military applications and is used in certain conditions and circumstances, dependant on the mission requirements, and is especially suited to rescue operations.

The pilots......... is that NVG's you finally got to work? wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LaPoi @ April 19 2003,19:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The pilots......... is that NVG's you finally got to work? wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No

The Pilots and Crew are wearing accurately modeled and animated ANVIS/6 goggles, however due to the game engine they are pure eye candy.

The NVGs are Hard coded by BIS, meaning if you turn on the NVGs from the menu, the old BIS AN/PVS-5 Goggles appear on you face, and that of any AIs, regardless of the model added.

This is not something that is correctable insofar as we are aware. We have spent an inordinate number of manhours researching the problem, and attempting different things to add our own correct NVGs to the game, if there is a fix or a way to do this, we havent found it.

If there is a way, please feel free to share folks, BAS will ask to use, and give all proper credit for the use of the solution!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BAS-Damocles @ April 19 2003,18:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Since I am a technical advisor for BAS among other things, and since I do have nearly 11 years and counting experience in the US Army, I felt it important to point out some details once again, in the interest of accuracy, after having read this and many other threads on the same type of issue.

1. Fast Roping is not Rappelling.

Fast roping is similar to sliding down a pole like firefighters use in fire stations. The Difference being, the Army uses a long three-inch wide rope thrown out of a hovering helicopter. Fast ropes come in lengths of of forty, sixty, eighty, and ninety-feet.

Fast roping requires a soldier to place the hands around the rope and free fall down to the ground. Just before landing, the soldier grips the rope to "break" the descent. This allows for a very rapid descent with a momentary stop before hitting the ground.

During a fast rope insertion, several soldiers can slide down a single rope (The same rope) at one time, allowing a fast and efficient  disembarkation/insertion, which limits exposure time both for the helicopter, and the inserting force.

Fast Roping is the most frequently used method of insertion by helicopter for combat operations. The techniques used during Operation Restore Hope in 1993 by Task Force Ranger were fast rope insertions at several points simultaniously.

2. Rappelling is not Fast Roping.

Definition:

rap·pel [r? pél] vi (past rap·pelled, past participle rap·pelled, present participle rap·pel·ling, 3rd person present singular rap·pels) descend by rope: to descend a steep slope or vertical face using a rope that is secured at the top and passed through a series of coils or a harness around the body.

U.K. term abseil v.

n descent by rappelling: a descent made by rappelling.

U.K. term abseil n.

[Mid-20th century. From French , from Old French rapeler “to recall,†from apeler “to call.â€]

Rappelling requires the use of a harness or saddle, requires more extensive training to be done safely and properly, and additional takes longer to execute. During a rappel operation, only one person can descend on each rope at a time, and after landing must detach from the harness.

This takes time to accomplish, and is a limiting factor. I.E. A UH-60L Black Hawk helicopter can Deploy up to four Rappelling ropes at once, or up to four Fast Ropes at once. If rappelling is used, only four soldiers can insert at one time, and must reach the ground and disconnect, and then perform belay for following soldiers.

If the Fast Rope is used, two to three soldiers can slide down each rope at once, and can move to cover immediately upon reaching the ground. Soldiers are not physically connected to a fast rope, in fact they simply hold on with hands and feet. Belaying is not needed as the thick, heavy fast rope stays in place by itself, and is further stabilized for soldiers exiting the helicopter by the soldiers who are nearing the ground.

Using the Fast Rope technique, a helicopter can insert 25 to 30 soldiers in under 30 seconds, in any terrain, at night or during the day.

Rappelling does have military applications and is used in certain conditions and circumstances, dependant on the mission requirements, and is especially suited to rescue operations.<span id='postcolor'>

And if you didn't know the diffrence... Well now now you do...! But I do think that us war nuts, did know that rappelling and fast ropeing isn't the same... We all know somebody that has repelled down (somewere, or most of us do:p ) But you don't hear many say that they went fast ropeing the other day!  wink.giftounge.gif

Guest jacobaby

OK,

as it seems to be a pretty popular request, do any of you guys know where we could get a decent Fast Roping script?

It would have to have animations included with it and a rope, and it would need to work properly in MP and SP and for both AI and human players.

Afaik the one in the support pack is only available AFTER you call for extraction or something...

But be quick, this needs doing very soon...

sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Oh yeah, a jeep in the cargo hold script could be handy too.....

Cheers guys

TJ

TJ

rappel.jpg

so what?

is it finished yet or not?

or are you guys planning for a re-re-release?

doesnt sound very promissing for me so far, tj.... wink.gif

well the mh47e dunt get me too excited i just want the Rangers/Delta's/Littlebirds.. and most of all the most wanted addon for operation flashpoint is the mh60 which i think we have waited for long enough.. pleaze pleaze pleaze pleaze pleaze release it with the fast rope scripts... and a minigun and ill be happy.

Guest jacobaby

If it was finished,   it would be let out into the wild........

I just hope you guys dont get TOO excited, its JUST another chinook, with a couple of flashy effects added really...

and you have SEEN the flares, which is one of the effects.....

I just get worried that some people expect the impossible.......

I blame the boss, TigerShark, bless him. He makes it sound like we'll be releasing an all singing, fast roping, flare shooting, dust blowing, night glowing, rooting tooting masterpiece.

We know you all really want the MH60, as far as I know that is being completely rebuilt from matchsticks and marshmallows in lifesize 3D, so that we can get a feel for it.

tounge.gif

TJ

I want to do this in OFP!! crazy.gif

chinook14.jpg click here for video!

also, some Instrument Panels pic for u guys, hope it helps smile.gif

MH-47 Instrument Panels- Click

MH-60L Instrument Panels- click

That is so dangerous!

I would never do anything like that in the seas we have over here! We generally don't use helicopters and boats together, mainly because a boat is covert and a ch47 rarely is.

I would do it in OFP cause what the hell, it's a game. But some of the shit i see people doing in multiplayer, yanking them around, it would be an impressive airshow if the aircraft didn't fall apart!

i know i am gonna look like an ass if i ask this question and its already been answered so..... Can you put vehicals inside and fly off into the sunset... then land get into the back, into the jeep/bike drive out and run-over some civilians?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (farside @ April 20 2003,03:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i know i am gonna look like an ass if i ask this question and its already been answered so.....   Can you put vehicals inside and fly off into the sunset... then land get into the back, into the jeep/bike drive out and run-over some civilians?<span id='postcolor'>

Nope, unless you can do it w/ set pos but then you cant bank or anything :/

Just a small thing i'm been thinking about:

How are you gonna use the "Crewchiefs"? Like gunners? Or do you boys have something new to show us? wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hit_Sqd_Maximus @ April 20 2003,02:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (farside @ April 20 2003,03:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i know i am gonna look like an ass if i ask this question and its already been answered so.....   Can you put vehicals inside and fly off into the sunset... then land get into the back, into the jeep/bike drive out and run-over some civilians?<span id='postcolor'>

Nope, unless you can do it w/ set pos but then you cant bank or anything :/<span id='postcolor'>

aww sad.gif still i cant wait.... that would have just been a addition to its greatness

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (silent_64 @ April 20 2003,13:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just a small thing i'm been thinking about:

How are you gonna use the "Crewchiefs"? Like gunners? Or do you boys have something new to show us? wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

hmmm, i wonder if they will have it as.. commander, driver and gunner? then again it would have to to be armoured... or has it.. hmmmm

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dark Knight @ April 20 2003,14:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hmmm, i wonder if they will have it as.. commander, driver and gunner? then again it would have to to be armoured... or has it.. hmmmm<span id='postcolor'>

I remember seeing an addon-maker post about this. Apparently, he tried to make a three man crew for a chopper, one in each pilot seat and one door gunner by making on of the pilots the commander. He said it did not work very well and the chopper moved abnormally, so I doubt this is the crew chief's position. But then again, it is very possible that BAS found a work-around for this problem.

Guest jacobaby

OK,

well commendation for knowing the differences biggrin.gif

It isnt possible it seems to have a commander in a helo.

However, with the provision of the models, mission makers will be able to add which model they like to the correct places.

TJ

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jacobaby @ April 20 2003,16:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OK,

well commendation for knowing the differences  biggrin.gif

It isnt possible it seems to have a commander in a helo.

However, with the provision of the models, mission makers will be able to add which model they like to the correct places.

TJ<span id='postcolor'>

So the the Crewchiefs won't have any use other then just looking? And Duncan... Itsn't ready for download! Yet...

But finding use for the crewchiefs would be nice... Like the crewchiefs would be the only one how could open the rear hatch... Or in the MH60.. Well I don't know... tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Chomps @ April 20 2003,15:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dark Knight @ April 20 2003,14:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hmmm, i wonder if they will have it as.. commander, driver and gunner? then again it would have to to be armoured... or has it.. hmmmm<span id='postcolor'>

I remember seeing an addon-maker post about this.  Apparently, he tried to make a three man crew for a chopper, one in each pilot seat and one door gunner by making on of the pilots the commander.  He said it did not work very well and the chopper moved abnormally, so I doubt this is the crew chief's position.  But then again, it is very possible that BAS found a work-around for this problem.<span id='postcolor'>

That was actually us (BAS) that tried to put a commander in the helo, and as you said, the helo either didnt listen to the commander or just span around in circles...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DeadMeatXM2 @ April 19 2003,17:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (silent_64 @ April 19 2003,16:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, sure could use a MH47... Now (Or with in the next 2-3 days)(Do you boys sence the hint, asking to it's release date, just i can do with in a weekly basis this week or the next one) wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

You should know better than that by now...

"soon" is the ONLY DATE you're gonna get... so don't keep pestering..<span id='postcolor'>

Take your time. smile.gif

I like your quality work. biggrin.gif

Guest DKM-jaguar

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jacobaby @ April 18 2003,13:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Flares wouldn't be flares if they didnt confuse the IR seeking missiles.........(whats that in the background heading away....??)

AFAIK the MH47E is very close to release, I have pretty much finished up the scripting for it.

While I didnt opt for some of the funky features that DKM's excellent RAH66 offers, I have included several things that should add a new dimension to your gameplay, and that should set a new standard in some areas.

Out of interest, what would folks REALLY like to see included in this chopper? ? ? ?

You never know, fast replies just might make it in.........

TJ

biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">While I didnt opt for some of the funky features that DKM's excellent RAH66 offers<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks people.. thats great to know that even other addon makers dont think it is crap becuase they didnt make it. I am glad that at least some of the good people in the ofp addon making community can get along without having secret agendas to bring each other down.

hmm... what to say to not make me look like a total ponce..

urm.. That first pic in this topic looks cool. I would put that feature onto a man-addon, call it the bad curry action. [damnit! now i look even more like a ponce!!]

well, anyway. i Really like your stuff.