Sign in to follow this  
IceFire

War games dealing in immersion and

Hi I'm IceFire,

I want to know about war games that have are very immersive and believable in their story line with a thick plot.

You know the types of games. Half-Life while not being a war game really was the start of this trend of immersive story lines and environment.

Medal of Honor also did an excellent job of this.

The thing that is really key here for me is the fact that they use real native language speakers here.

In Medal of Honor Allied assault you could hear real German conversations and you would wonder what they were saying.

Perhaps if a German person was playing he would understand what was being said. I thought that would be cool. It's an extra detail put in that made the environment really believable even though most people don't speak or understand German.

Operation Flashpoint also did this a bit with spoken Russian.

This was cool.

I was wondering if any of you know about any other games that do this.

Most games only have English spoken and the foreign languages sound fake and made up as if by saying "Ching chong chong" they are making believable Chinese to young kids you probably don't care or pay much attention.

I think Delta Force 2 used made up Arabic and African in it's games.

They didn't sound real.

Anyways, can anyone else mention games that have the quality I mentioned above?

Not faked languages in it either.

SoF 2, (don't remember if 1 had)

[...] Sorry, that's all I can remember right now.

Does GTA3 count? tounge.gif

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 09 2003,21:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think Delta Force 2 used made up Arabic and African in it's games.<span id='postcolor'>

The African language? I see that the Bush school is gaining followers by the day wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease."<span id='postcolor'> -George W. Bush

Forgotten Battles smile.gif. I play the Russian campaigns with subtitles off. Immersive, yes, plot - kind of varies with a dynamic campaign, but the missions make sense and their outcome makes a difference in the campaign.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 08 2003,22:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi I'm IceFire,

I want to know about war games that have are very immersive and believable in their story line with a thick plot.

You know the types of games.   Half-Life while not being a war game really was the start of this trend of immersive story lines and environment.

Medal of Honor also did an excellent job of this.  

The thing that is really key here for me is the fact that they use real native language speakers here.  

In Medal of Honor Allied assault you could hear real German conversations and you would wonder what they were saying.

Perhaps if a German person was playing he would understand what was being said.   I thought that would be cool.  It's an extra detail put in that made the environment really believable even though most people don't speak or understand German.

Operation Flashpoint also did this a bit with spoken Russian.

This was cool.

I was wondering if any of you know about any other games that do this.

Most games only have English spoken and the foreign languages sound fake and made up as if by saying "Ching chong chong" they are making believable Chinese to young kids you probably don't care or pay much attention.

I think Delta Force 2 used made up Arabic and African in it's games.

They didn't sound real.

Anyways, can anyone else mention games that have the quality I mentioned above?

Not faked languages in it either.<span id='postcolor'>

Medal of Honor: Frontline for PS2. (Dunno if it exists for PC, i doubt it)

In one of the missions you meet a Dutch women who's in the resistance, i cannot remember exactly what mission it is but it's the one where you need to rescue Gerrit.

This lady speaks Dutch and because i'm Belgian and i speak Flemish, i was able to understand what she said.

So put this one on your list too smile.gif

The Day of Defeat mod for Half-Life uses spoken German.

I can actually say most of the phrases, pronouncing them more or less as in the game, but I can't write them out..

Let's see...

Well, OFP, of course, has pretty good Russian. Voice actors were native speakers.

Close Combat 3: The Russian Front - ditto

Combat Mission 2: Barbarossa to Berlin - ditto. But the Finnish voice acting in that game was especially good.

Ghost Recon - there wasn't much Russian there. Just a few shouts, like "we're under attack". The plot of the game stank to high heaven, too. American SpecOps coming to the rescue of Russia - give me a fucking break. The Red Square mission was kinda amusing though - I kept comparing the game modelling to the real thing... biggrin.gif

I haven't played it myself, but I heard from a friend that Sudden Strike (?) has pretty decent Russian voices.

That's all I can remember right now. The main problem with all of these games is that the language there isn't juicy enough. Russian is a language that allows you to swear very creatively. In fact, some people consider good swearing in Russian a form of art. wink.gif So when your T-34 runs into an ambush, and a first 5cm Pak shell bounces off your turret, your gunner should not calmly say: "Sir, we are under fire", but he should yell: "Motherfucker!!! That Fritz wanker's fucking zeroed on us!" (No offense to the German members of the forum, I just meant it as an example wink.gif ) So far I haven't seen any games that would have THAT kind of realism or immersion... wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ April 09 2003,22:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Medal of Honor: Frontline for PS2.  (Dunno if it exists for PC, i doubt it)<span id='postcolor'>

That would be what Allied Assault pretty much is.

Wow, incredible list. Exactly what I was looking for.

Keep it coming if there are any more.

"The African language? I see that the Bush school is gaining followers by the day" --- Quote by Denoir

I know I know that Africa is a continent of countries. I just meant the African language. You know, you've probably heard it millions of times. "Wonga wonga, onga onga, Oni-bo!". You know what it sounds like.

"Quote (DarkLight @ April 09 2003,22:20)

Medal of Honor: Frontline for PS2. (Dunno if it exists for PC, i doubt it)

That would be what Allied Assault pretty much is." ---- Quote by drewb99

I have Allied assault, and allied assault has no Dutch woman.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi I'm IceFire,

<span id='postcolor'>

You've been a member for over a year, and your member name shows up on the left side of the screen. Why do you keep doing this?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know I know that Africa is a continent of countries.  I just meant the African language.  You know, you've probably heard it millions of times.  "Wonga wonga, onga onga, Oni-bo!".  You know what it sounds like.

<span id='postcolor'>

Ouch. Not too tactful, there. For your edification, there are hundreds, even thousands of tribal languages in Africa, not to mention several regional languages, not to mention French, English, and Swahili. In fact, the average African probably speaks 2 more languages than you do.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 09 2003,23:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know I know that Africa is a continent of countries.  I just meant the African language.  You know, you've probably heard it millions of times.  "Wonga wonga, onga onga, Oni-bo!".  You know what it sounds like.<span id='postcolor'>

Jeez man, would it surprize you to know that's what I thought English sounded like about a decade ago? confused.gif Way to describe a "language"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In fact, the average African probably speaks 2 more languages than you do. <span id='postcolor'>

They may, but then again a billion people don't speak Swahili, do they.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ April 10 2003,01:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In fact, the average African probably speaks 2 more languages than you do. <span id='postcolor'>

They may, but then again a billion people don't speak Swahili, do they.<span id='postcolor'>

More like around 500 million, but I see your point. But what I was saying is that it is slightly arrogant to dismiss others' languages when you yourself are mono-linguistic.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ April 10 2003,01:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In fact, the average African probably speaks 2 more languages than you do. <span id='postcolor'>

They may, but then again a billion people don't speak Swahili, do they.<span id='postcolor'>

And?

Can you speak two languages fluently?

Man, the arrogance is really showing around here today! English may be the pre-eminent language in the world today, but the fact is that it's one of many. Americans seem to think that it's the worlds job to speak english. Sheesh.

Language in games? Can't think of many that haven't already been mentioned. I like it in AA, when an OPFOR guy throws a grenade, he says it in what I beleive is some kind of Slavic dialect. Russian maybe?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">English may be the pre-eminent language in the world today, but the fact is that it's one of many. <span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, but it would be alot easier if the whole world spoke one language. If they spoke English, it would be alot easier on me. tounge.gif

I should learn some French, but I don't wanna' wink.gif

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ April 10 2003,01:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ April 10 2003,01wow.gif3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In fact, the average African probably speaks 2 more languages than you do. <span id='postcolor'>

And?

Man, the arrogance is really showing around here today!  English may be the pre-eminent language in the world today, but the fact is that it's one of many.   Americans seem to think that it's the worlds job to speak english.  Sheesh.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, it was the English that really started to pimp English. Think of when they had an empire, forcing native inhabitants of countries they colonise to speak English and not their own language...they really got the ball rolling.

As for languages disappearing, if you actually are interested in this then the best (or worst) place to look is Papua New Guinea. This is a country that had more than half of the world's languages at one point in time....and most of them no longer exist. Sad....

hey you're going a little bit offtopic here...^^

there was this funny conversation between some german soldiers in MoH:AA. the speakers were quite good and they even had different dialects, but the conversation didn't sound real, you know... like someone translated it with a dictionary. wink.gif

they didn't swear as much as i would have expected. "Schwein" is a standard term in games with nazis. so it wasn't really that surprising.

what i especially like is the first cutscene in resistance where colonel guba told his soldiers to "go to hell". now that was a nice piece of russian army swearing! biggrin.gif

Blaegis is absolutely right here. i once saw a documentary about a russian general in afghanistan. i think german TV never could have translated all the swearing. but it was helluva funny. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blaegis @ April 09 2003,23:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So when your T-34 runs into an ambush, and a first 5cm Pak shell bounces off your turret, your gunner should not calmly say: "Sir, we are under fire", but he should yell: "Motherfucker!!! That Fritz wanker's fucking zeroed on us!" So far I haven't seen any games that would have THAT kind of realism or immersion.<span id='postcolor'>

Incidentally, the finnish voices in Combat Mission 2 are actually just like that. When the russians open fire, sarge yells: "Jumalauta, munat turpeeseen! Ampukaa niin perkeleesti!"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blaegis @ April 09 2003,23:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ghost Recon - there wasn't much Russian there. Just a few shouts, like "we're under attack". The plot of the game stank to high heaven, too. American SpecOps coming to the rescue of Russia - give me a fucking break. The Red Square mission was kinda amusing though - I kept comparing the game modelling to the real thing...  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry to step offtopic, but wasn't the story for Ghost Recon (the original, never played the expansions) American MArines helping to fend off Russian incursion from Georgia?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ April 10 2003,12:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blaegis @ April 09 2003,23:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So when your T-34 runs into an ambush, and a first 5cm Pak shell bounces off your turret, your gunner should not calmly say: "Sir, we are under fire", but he should yell: "Motherfucker!!! That Fritz wanker's fucking zeroed on us!" So far I haven't seen any games that would have THAT kind of realism or immersion.<span id='postcolor'>

Incidentally, the finnish voices in Combat Mission 2 are actually just like that. When the russians open fire, sarge yells: "Jumalauta, munat turpeeseen! Ampukaa niin perkeleesti!"<span id='postcolor'>

could we have a translation please? wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ April 10 2003,15:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Could we have a translation please? wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Hhm, babelfish does not support finnish, so I'll try to translate in the spirit of babelfish: biggrin.gif

By golly, laterally smoothe balls on the earth! Much weapon discharge commence the devil!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC Mongoose @ April 10 2003,13:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sorry to step offtopic, but wasn't the story for Ghost Recon (the original, never played the expansions) American MArines helping to fend off Russian incursion from Georgia?<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, for the first five missions or so you (as a member of an American SpecOp squad) defend Georgia. Then the evil Russians invade the Baltic states and you have to defend them. Finally, the Americans decide to invade Russia and (hehe) liberate it. As I said, the plot of the game sucks. Well, as do all Clancy's books except Red Storm Rising and Cardinal of the Kremlin...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ April 10 2003,15:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">By golly, laterally smoothe balls on the earth! Much weapon discharge commence the devil!<span id='postcolor'>

I.e. "Hit the deck, goddammit! Fire like hell!" biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ April 09 2003,19:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ April 10 2003,01wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In fact, the average African probably speaks 2 more languages than you do. <span id='postcolor'>

And?

Man, the arrogance is really showing around here today!  English may be the pre-eminent language in the world today, but the fact is that it's one of many.   Americans seem to think that it's the worlds job to speak english.  Sheesh.<span id='postcolor'>

I bet you the U.S has the largest number of languages spoken in the world simply because it has the most diverse immigrant population <!--emo&smile.gif

BTW, I thought his onomatepeia description of swahili was comical.