Sign in to follow this  
IceFire

War games dealing in immersion and

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 16 2003,02:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ok, I just heard about this new game called "Shadow Warrior".

I downloaded the demo off fileplanet and I just started playing it.

It seems cool, it takes place in Japan so there must be speech in Japanese.

It's about a ninja warrior who fights off people or something like that.

Anyway, this game seems cool as hell.

Waayahhh!  Who wants some WANG??!<span id='postcolor'>

Huh?? Shadow Warrior? Aint that an old dos game? I used to play it alot over at a friends house, lots of cool weapons and gore and stuff biggrin.gif

The demo of SOF2 does not have full gore.

Yes it has, it's just locked but it's there:

(from some SoF2 forums)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">HOW TO ENABLE GORE IN THE DEMO!

To enable gore, you install the demo, along with desktop icons, you right click on the icon select properties. in the line at the top after the last word write this +set lock_blood 0

Now go into the game and start a new game hit Shift and Tilde (~) type menu lock. automatically the parental lock screen comes up, hit enter (to enter nothing for a password) and then turn on all the violence, then turn off the game and go back into it, bam you got full violence, and it is damn sweet. hope this helps <span id='postcolor'>

Hey it worked!

The change is amazing.

It's now much more realistic.

I fire a few bursts into an enemy far away, and when I walk up to his body I can see exactly where all the holes are.  Right around where I fired at too.

Then I tested it out.  I fired one shot at a certain spot on his leg, and the gunshot wound was exactly where I shot him.

I also noticed that the blood splatter is very realistic, as is their death animations.

I shot an enemy one time in the head with the silenced pistol as he was standing.

I immediately dropped.  I could see the some blood splattered on the wall and ground about 6 feet from where he was.

The splatter was just the way it would be in real life, from the angle I shot him from.

I also noticed that they die in a realistic manner.  They fall accordingly to the way I kill them.

It's like they have a "ragdoll" effect.

If they fall near a railing, their arm may just hang over the railing and his body will slightly lean against it.

The damage also seems very realistic.  It seems as if they are wearing some armor, but it's still within realistic bounds.

So far I don't see any unrealistic aspects about gameplay.

As for my criticisms:

This one is only superficial, but when they walk, it looks like a robot walking.  Looks kinda stupid.

The weapons are a little difficult to aim.  It's like the mouse is too sensitive or slow, or whatnot.  I'm sure this can be adjusted though.

You have to HOLD DOWN the "go prone", "kneel", "run" buttons.

It would be alot easier if you could just tap each button to toggle each thing on and off.  I hope this can be modified somehow.

Lastly but most importantly for me is that the dead bodies and blood eventually disappear.  I hope there is an option to make it so that bodies stay.

But basically this is a fairly realistic if not very violent game.

And I would think that all my criticisms except for the robot like walking can be adjusted somehow in preferences somehow.

Oh yeah, and a few other criticisms I forgot.

The M203 grenade has no real range.  It lands a few yards away from you.  Like you threw a grenade.

And there is no night vision.

I can add more detail or go on a bit, but I'm far too sleepy right now.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blaegis @ 09 April 2003,23:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">American SpecOps coming to the rescue of Russia - give me a fucking break.<span id='postcolor'>

Well it depends what console you have for Ghost Recon. The PS2 version gives the storyline which I will try to transfer as much as possible. But the PC version had all the cool units.(Enlisted men, Guards with FUR HATS!!!!,officers and POW's.) I think it is beliveable.

Original Text:

In 2005, after years to economic decline and military humiliation(maybe in Chechnya?) the Russian people throw Vladimir Putin out of office and replace him with the ultranationalisic extremist Dmitri Arbatov. President Abatov imedietely freezes liberal reforms within Russia's borders and begins an agressive policy of repression against orgainized crime, big bussiness and ethnic minorities:"gangsters, oligarchs and Non Russian parasites". Simutanliously he pushes through a drastic increase in funding for the military........................General Victor Karpin is appointed general of the Russian Army. ..............Ukraine and Kazakhstan quickly "fall in line" with Russia then becoming the Russian Democratic Union................riots break out in Tallinn and Vilnius. Ge0rgia is engulfed in civil war, with help of Russia...............

And then it talks about the conflict in Georgia and the Baltics. And the the push for Russia.

..................the last factions of the Russian army fight US troops outside of Moscow. The Russians win only because they use a tactical nuclear strike outside of MOSCOW!!!!!!! And aperently, one of the towers in the Red square was shot off!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LaPoi @ 17 May 2003,04:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">..................the last factions of the Russian army fight US troops outside of Moscow. The Russians win only because they use a tactical nuclear strike outside of MOSCOW!!!!!!! And aperently, one of the towers in the Red square was shot off!!<span id='postcolor'>

If you think a single part of that is believable, I've got a business associate with the Nigerian Chambers Of Commerce And Industry who needs your help in transferring $47,500,000.00 (forty seven million, five hundred thousand United States dollars) out of the country, which resulted from an over-invoiced contract, executed, commissioned and paid for about five years ago by a foreign contractor. Since he is forbidden to operate a foreign account, he requires your assistance. The total sum will be shared as follows: 70% between me and him, 25% for you and 5% for local and international expenses incidental to the transfer.

All we need is:

(a) your banker's name, telephone, account and fax numbers.

(b) your private telephone and fax numbers — for confidentiality and easy communication.

© your letter-headed paper stamped and signed.

Please reply urgently.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ 17 May 2003,04:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LaPoi @ 17 May 2003,04:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">..................the last factions of the Russian army fight US troops outside of Moscow. The Russians win only because they use a tactical nuclear strike outside of MOSCOW!!!!!!! And aperently, one of the towers in the Red square was shot off!!<span id='postcolor'>

If you think a single part of that is believable, I've got a business associate with the Nigerian Chambers Of Commerce And Industry who needs your help in transferring $47,500,000.00

(a) your banker's name, telephone, account and fax numbers.

(b) your private telephone and fax numbers — for confidentiality and easy communication.

© your letter-headed paper stamped and signed.

Please reply urgently.<span id='postcolor'>

I agree, that is the only part i didn't think was reasonalbe.

A)I don't have a banker

B)the phone no. of the CIA (I'f you are dumb enough to call then........)

C) I can't write

Sorry I can't help you but..............|iCeMaN| can!!!!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Hmm, Rainbow Six and those have good plots but are realistically almost impossible to have in real life.

A good game plot is IL-2 forgotten battles! tounge.gif

No really it is great, BIS should play it to get a feel for what their campaign shoudl be like, you choose your role and it don't make much difference to the outcome of the war. Also as you get higher in rank your missions get harder.

For example in the CWC campaign, you should start out as infantry and play like 30 missions, same themes but with different support, unexpected machine gun posts etc. Lot's of patrols and a few checkpoint missions where you get attacked etc. Or play as a different role - heli pilot. But instead of mixing them around have different campaign characters. The heli pilot would start out ferrying boxes, a few medevacs, maybe one low level black op insertion into a tiny clearing and then you can get transferred to gunships, not just go outside and be expected to fly this cobra as well.

Anyway that's my idea. Also a medic campaign and driver campaign woudl be good, just be a jeep driver and rely on your good driving skills to get out of danger.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ 20 May 2003,12:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A good game plot is IL-2 forgotten battles!   tounge.gif

No really it is great, BIS should play it to get a feel for what their campaign shoudl be like, you choose your role and it don't make much difference to the outcome of the war. Also as you get higher in rank your missions get harder.<span id='postcolor'>

And the Online campaigns are even better! smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ 20 May 2003,12:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">play like 30 missions<span id='postcolor'>

it's 40 smile.gif

I guess Vietcong uses real Vietnamese language. At least it sounds real to me.  tounge_o.gif

I caca dao VC!!! Diddy mao! Diddy mao!

That translates to: Fuck you VC! Move your ass!, move your ass! (A rude version of hurry up.) Chao ong Tex.

SoF 2, (don't remember if 1 had)

[...] Sorry, that's all I can remember right now.

Does GTA3 count? tounge_o.gif

-=Die Alive=-

Funny enough you are right!

But the last battle against a superpower chopper is slightly silly > rock.gif

That translates to:  Fuck you VC!  Move your ass!, move your ass!  (A rude version of hurry up.)  Chao ong Tex.

heh, my Vietnamese is limited to Nam films.

What's the name of that fish head sauce they make, nom nock or some thing like that...  My next door neighbors are Vietnamese, don't speak a word or English, and they're really really pissing me off.  So this fish sauce, they make that shit often, and the whole damn neighborhood reeks of that stuff. And another thing they do that pisses me off, they hang raw fish on their clothesline to dry.  Whole fish, not sure what kind it is, they're maybe 6 inches in length, they hang out 40 of them at a time in the mid-day summer sun to dry, using clothes pins to pin the fish tail's to the line.  And these flying rats with wings come from all over, shit all over the place, and make tempting targets for my airsoft gun ( biggrin_o.gif )

So these guys are "numba 10" neighbors, I wish it was  a crack house or something.  Move to the city they said, meet & learn about new cultures ... well this wasn't in the fucking brochure.

-=Die Alive=-

-=Die Alive=-

But the last battle against  a superpower chopper is slightly silly >  rock.gif

How could it be a superchopper.

-=Die Alive=-

But the last battle against  a superpower chopper is slightly silly >  rock.gif

How could it be a superchopper.

It took like forever to kill it, hit it with rpgs, 1000s of MG rounds, the thing keeps flying and shooting.

Very poor final "boss" imo.

-=Die Alive=-

Huh. There's an end to GTA3? Didn't know that... I never really got past picking up hookers and beating up old men with a baseball bat. Only really fun part of the game imo.

I think we were talking about SoF 2... but also in GTA3 there ia a chopper in the last mission...

-=Die Alive=-

Immersion(mainly sound) seems to be one of the most important things now. Unfortunatly, I think that is one thing OFP somewhat lacked in. The monotone "OH no, 3 is down!" is somewhat annoying and just..uck. What OFP needs is more in the sound department in my opinion. One thing that I don't like about OFP is that battles don't really feel all that tense.

I mean, if someone is wounded, they just groan and continue shooting. For real, if someone was shot in the leg, wouldn't he be screaming from the hot bullet jammed into him? I also wished they personalized the commands and voices more. Oddly, the voices on the radio all seem the same just except for a higher or lower pitch in voice. I also wish the guns had more of a "kick" feeling to them when you fired. They sound always muffled and dull. As well as enviormental interaction sounds and more interaction with the enviorment for the player. Bullets whizzing through the foilage would be neat. As well as debris and other things in the city for the player to use as cover.

Oh well, its still one of my highly most played games. I don't know about languages, but the Russian I guess sounds clean. It dosen't sound choppy and distorted like some games recordings that deal with voices.

All I'm saying is that OFP just lacks a few things, even though its a great game.

@ June 18 2003,15:40)]heh, my Vietnamese is limited to Nam films.

"You're too beaucoup soulbrother!" biggrin_o.giftounge_o.gif

While GTA isn't realistic, all GTA games had some of the best soundtracks in a PC game available! You have to listen to this VRock radio station in Vice City! they play Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, and Twisted Sister! (80ies Hair Rock) tounge_o.gif

What's the name of that fish head sauce they make, nom nock or some thing like that...  My next door neighbors are Vietnamese, don't speak a word or English, and they're really really pissing me off.  So this fish sauce, they make that shit often, and the whole damn neighborhood reeks of that stuff. And another thing they do that pisses me off, they hang raw fish on their clothesline to dry.  Whole fish, not sure what kind it is, they're maybe 6 inches in length, they hang out 40 of them at a time in the mid-day summer sun to dry, using clothes pins to pin the fish tail's to the line.  And these flying rats with wings come from all over, shit all over the place, and make tempting targets for my airsoft gun ( biggrin_o.gif )

So these guys are "numba 10" neighbors, I wish it was  a crack house or something.  Move to the city they said, meet & learn about new cultures ... well this wasn't in the fucking brochure.

-=Die Alive=-

The fish they are drying is for making Nuoc Mam, a fermented fish suace commonly used in Vietnamese cooking. It smells something awful, but if you've ever tried Vietnamese cuisine, tastes quite good. Try eating Vietnamese dishes once, the smell may no longer seem as obnoxious to you. I'd suggest either spring rolls, or Pho (pronounced as "fuh") which is a wonderful soup made with beef tenderloin or chicken and punched up with all kinds of exotic spices and flavors.

-=Die Alive=-

The fish they are drying is for making Nuoc Mam, a fermented fish suace commonly used in Vietnamese cooking.  It smells something awful, but if you've ever tried Vietnamese cuisine, tastes quite good.  Try eating Vietnamese dishes once, the smell may no longer seem as obnoxious to you.  I'd suggest either spring rolls, or Pho (pronounced as "fuh") which is a wonderful soup made with beef tenderloin or chicken and punched up with all kinds of exotic spices and flavors.

I did go to a Vietnamese restaurant a few times, (it had food from all over south east asia, Thai, Cambodian, Laos, Vietnam...) and the food was good. But since I'm not a huge fan of fish i sticked with other meats, so I'm not too sure if I had any Vietnamese dishes. And the place didn't smell bad either, not like my backyard. Now I only use my backyard to BBQ up some Bourbon marinated pork ribs. smile_o.gif

-=Die Alive=-