Sign in to follow this  
IceFire

Maxxed out graphics

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sgt. Milkman @ April 02 2003,16:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ April 02 2003,16:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The only setting I initially applied through the Detonator control panel applet was the "Best Quality" option.

All other tweaks I have made were done using RivaTuner, which you can get from Guru3D.

I use it to overclock my GeForce4 Ti4600 slightly, enable Fastwrites and Sideband addressing, apply a Mipmap Bias of -1.0, enable and optimize anisotropic filtering (level 2 or higher has to be used for FSAA), Quincunx FSAA, a moderate level of Digital Vibrance, enable vertical retrace lock, setting a pre-render limit of 1, and maxing out the vertical refresh rate across all resolutions and color depths.

In OFP, I max out Visual Quality and minimize the Desired Framerate setting. This still allows me to play with a view distance of 2000 meters at 1600x1200 with good frame rates. I do use the lowest level of terrain detail however, but this is largely because high levels of terrain detail make the ground look like a guy on crack went nuts with a bulldozer.<span id='postcolor'>

uhhhhh, what did you say?

Mr. Frag, what do u do for a living? I guessing computer engineer. Your knowledge is far beyond that of anyone around here.<span id='postcolor'>

lol, I must be a nerd because I understood everything he said.

BTW why do you turn of vertical sync? I hate tearing and since my monitor refreshes at 85hz at the rez I play at my monitor doesn't limit the fps. If I hit 85 I'd be happy.

COLINMAN

The reason I saved it as BMP was because I didn't want compression to ruin the graphic quality smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ April 02 2003,16:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BTW why do you turn of vertical sync? I hate tearing and since my monitor refreshes at 85hz at the rez I play at my monitor doesn't limit the fps. If I hit 85 I'd be happy.<span id='postcolor'>

You misread what I wrote. I force vertical sync on, for the same reason you mentioned.

Of course, JPEG images compressed to comply with the <100KB forum rule still don't give accurate representation of what we see in OFP -- the images here are worse than what SpaceAlex sees on his screen.

And not all screen capture programs can capture the colors produced by tweaking the gamma setting or the Digital Vibrance of newer NVIDIA cards.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ April 02 2003,05:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">However, if you choose the best visual quality and lowest desired framerate in the Video Options dialog, and combine that with a tweaking of the video card (Digital Vibranceâ„¢ in the case of NVIDIA cards, a negative MipMap bias, anisotropic filtering and antialiasing), you'll get very nice graphics.<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks! There's an improvement following those suggestions.

One thing I didn't find was where do you set anisotropic filtering and what do you set it to?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ April 03 2003,03:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Of course, JPEG images compressed to comply with the <100KB forum rule still don't give accurate representation of what we see in OFP -- the images here are worse than what SpaceAlex sees on his screen.

And not all screen capture programs can capture the colors produced by tweaking the gamma setting or the Digital Vibranceâ„¢ of newer NVIDIA cards.<span id='postcolor'>

This is why most people use sharpening that can be found from most graphic programs like Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop etc.

Many people always ask "how do you get so good graphics" when they don't realize/know that the screenshot is sharpened (like for example that Satchels Apache pic).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N.o.R.S.u @ April 03 2003,15:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Use RivaTuner to tweak everything NVidia related:

http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/<span id='postcolor'>

I am but I couldn't find that setting. confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ April 03 2003,14:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N.o.R.S.u @ April 03 2003,15:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Use RivaTuner to tweak everything NVidia related:

http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/<span id='postcolor'>

I am but I couldn't find that setting. confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It is there (at least in the newest version I use), try looking from

Customize... --> Direct3D settings --> Textures --> Texture filtering settings

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ April 03 2003,16:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">this is the max i could get with no lag on setview distance 3500  crazy.gif

http://ssjsolidsnake.free.fr/graphicsmax.JPG<span id='postcolor'>

And now turn Anisotropic Filtering from "0" to "8".

Or let it be "0" and make a screenshot from 3rd Person view standing on a runway.

Klick

HERE to understand what i mean.

MfG Lee wink.gif

Afaik i do not use anisotropic filtering and still get pictures like the leftmost on your screenshot, never seen disappearing textures as on the other two...

That ugly thing can only seen on runways, don´t ask me why.

But you can see a "line" where textures getting less sharper, on every ground/vehicle/etc.

MfG Lee

Or you can crank your bitmap los to something like -3 so it forces your software to use the higher detail bitmaps further back. The downside is that you will need aniso filtering to get rid of the shimmering pixel sea that is the result.

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N.o.R.S.u @ April 03 2003,14:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ April 03 2003,03:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Of course, JPEG images compressed to comply with the <100KB forum rule still don't give accurate representation of what we see in OFP -- the images here are worse than what SpaceAlex sees on his screen.

And not all screen capture programs can capture the colors produced by tweaking the gamma setting or the Digital Vibranceâ„¢ of newer NVIDIA cards.<span id='postcolor'>

This is why most people use sharpening that can be found from most graphic programs like Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop etc.

Many people always ask "how do you get so good graphics" when they don't realize/know that the screenshot is sharpened (like for example that Satchels Apache pic).<span id='postcolor'>

I didn't use Photoshop on those. I used Windows Paint. tounge.gif So my screenshots are not sharpened. smile.gif

I got a ATI 9500 Pro 128mb card, but a P3.  Good card but not a good processor (compared to the ones out now anyways)  

But I will try putting my framerate down and terrain detail up.  Its just that OFP requires a powerful system and card.  I maxxed out the graphics on other games (mohaa, bf1942) and it looks amazing wink.gif

I'll probabaly get a nice PC in about a year anyways.. smile.gif

And can someone post screens with the best grapghics they can handle for OFP?

(w/o sharpening img)

-iCe-

ok this seems liek a good time to tast my graphics and to show off the harrier a little bit more tounge.gif

Ati Radeon 9700pro

1.4 Athlon (bah!wink.gif

1 gig-o-ram

view distance about 1000

quality all the way up

ground quality high

*big files*

harrier 1

harrier 2

harrier 3

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (|iCeMaN| @ April 04 2003,22:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> I maxxed out the graphics on other games (mohaa, bf1942) and it looks amazing wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

There is zero comparison with what those games do graphically to what Opf does graphically.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There is zero comparison with what those games do graphically to what Opf does graphically<span id='postcolor'>

Apart from ofp's hideous sky tounge.gif

Why does it look so washed out like that? Looks like an 8bit texture.

I've tried everything I can to make it look better on a GF4 Ti4200 but no joy. My friend said it was beautiful on a GF3 but got uglywhen he moved to a GF4.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (eXor @ April 06 2003,17:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why does it look so washed out like that?  Looks like an 8bit texture.

I've tried everything I can to make it look better on a GF4 Ti4200 but no joy.  My friend said it was beautiful on a GF3 but got uglywhen he moved to a GF4.<span id='postcolor'>

Search The FAQ for "color tweak", in case you haven't tried out the DIGITAL VIBRANCE setting yet.

hmm interesting any chance you have a small picture of how your blue sky looks in ofp?

Thanks

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (eXor @ April 06 2003,17:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hmm interesting   any chance you have a small picture of how your blue sky looks in ofp?

Thanks<span id='postcolor'>

Blue%20Skies%2001.jpg

Ok......................... I lied. sad.gif

LMAO! I did the digital vibrance thing. thx for the tip everything is more colorful now smile.gif

but the sky still looks like an 8 bit texture albeit brighter.

I know bf1942's sky is just a static bitmap but it looks way better.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ April 06 2003,16:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">avonsky.jpg

Ok......................... I lied. sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

NO! Thats BAS Kiowa, it must be true!

Hand out that island to us NOW!

MfG Lee biggrin.gifwink.gif