Sign in to follow this  
Andraz

M24 sniper weapon system

I would like to inform you that for the last few weeks I've been working on my first weapon add-on for Operation Flashpoint. If everything goes well, it will feature a high quality M24 7,62mm NATO SWS bolt-action sniper rifle with Leupold Mark 4 M3-10x40 optical sight (realistic mil-dot reticle, 3.7m FOV at 100m).

M24 model (pilot-view LOD) in Oxygen Light

m24-01.jpg

Note that this is a work in progress. I will keep you informed about updates.

Andraz Beravs

It has much more details. As you can see, bolt, receiver and stock are very detailed and not completly flat like on M24 SWS by Ballistic Addon Studios.  wink.gif

Andraz Beravs

I think it's good to see M24 made as a single addon. Nothing wrong with BAS weapons but if I want to use the M24 SWS only, the mission would need the whole 20 meg BAS_weap.pbo...

In-game screenshot of a Leupold Mark 4 M3 10x40mm Optical Day Sight (M3A Scope).

m3a.jpg

I don't want to brag, but the whole scope (p3d model, texture...) is made by me. tounge.gif  Like the real scope, it has a 3.7m field of view at 100m, which is 18.5m at 500m and can be seen on screenshot. It features a realistic "round dot" Leupold Mil Dot reticle, which can be used for range estimating.

In the game, as in real life, each dot has a diameter of 0.2 mil, spacing between two dots is 1 mil. For range estimating, the mil-relation formula (U.S. Army Field Manual No. 23-10 Sniper Training) can be used:

Size of target in meters x 1000 = Range in meters

Size of object in mils

On screenshot there is a 1.8m tall soldier at distance of 500m. As you can see, his height in the mil dot reticle is 3.6 mils. If we put the numbers in mil-relation formula we get an exactly estimated range of 500m.

Andraz Beravs

OK. The target is 500M away. Now, what distance does each dot represent in order to aim at the target's head?

I depends on the distance the rifle is zeroed at (distanceZoomMin and distanceZoomMax in config.cpp). I need to find optimal zero distance and then run the ballistic tests, but there are a few more important things to do first. Don't worry, point of impact for each 100m will be in bullet trajectory table, which will be included in this add-on.

Andraz Beravs

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Andraz Beravs @ Mar. 20 2003,13:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't worry, point of impact for each 100m will be in bullet trajectory table, which will be included in this add-on.<span id='postcolor'>

It would be nice if there was a graphic pic of the table that could be incorporated into missions that would use your M24, to be displayed in the mission briefing book. smile.gif

Just an idea..................

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Andraz Beravs @ Mar. 20 2003,11:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For range estimating, the mil-relation formula (U.S. Army Field Manual No. 23-10 Sniper Training) can be used:

Size of target in meters x 1000 = Range in meters

Size of object in mils

On screenshot there is a 1.8m tall soldier at distance of 500m. As you can see, his height in the mil dot reticle is 3.6 mils. If we put the numbers in mil-relation formula we get an exactly estimated range of 500m.<span id='postcolor'>

In further posts you say that the view is zoomable... so... the size in dots differs with each zoom... so... hmm... from wich position do you measure it?

I have never said that the scope has variable zoom. crazy.gif  Leupold Mark 4 M3 scope has fixed 10x magnification. Because of this, values at distanceZoomMin and distanceZoomMax are equal (they determine the range the rifle is zeroed at), and values at opticsZoomMin and opticsZoomMax (they determine the scope's magnification) are equal.

Guest Hitman[SWAF]

Ill be waiting for this smile.gif

looks very nice. I love the realistic sight.

Will you make camoflages versions of it?

(1 black, 1 woodland, 1 desert)

And will you make a silenced version (I believe a silenced one was used in Afghanistan by the 10th Mountain Div.)

very nice,

i hope everyone uses realistic optics - I think a lot of people don't realize that the dots are useful on those reticles.

I will definitely be waiting for this...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 20 2003,12:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OK. The target is 500M away. Now, what distance does each dot represent in order to aim at the target's head?<span id='postcolor'>

Open into your rifle diary, look which climate, range etc does match which entry, then apply the number of "clicks" which you read in your diary...or you know the clickcount by heart... wink.gif

But I guess this isnt possible in OpF,isnt it?

What about a bipod? I remember that from America's Army, of course, that's another topic.

Although I managed to kill someone from 1018 meters with the M24 from BAS.

Cpt. FrostBite: This is my first add-on I've ever created (I've bought Operation Flashpoint: GOTY about two months ago) and because I'm unexperienced I am making progress very slowly. I only planned to release standard black version, but I'll consider your suggestion about camouflaged versions. However, I won't make a silenced/suppresed version of the rifle, sorry.

[76]Chavez: Unfortunately, setting the scope for elevation (and windage) by using fixed magnification isn't (as far as i know) possible in OFP.

pong2cs: I won't make a bipod, because in OFP you can't deploy it, and even if you could, it doesn't add anything to stability of the rifle, like it does in America's Army.

Andraz has got some problems with his username lately, so he asked me to post the update.

Friday development update! smile.gif

In-game screenshot of almost complete M24 model

m24-02.jpg

Notice that the M3A scope adjustment dials have adjustment dust covers removed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 13 2003,08:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How does it differ from BAS' M24SWS sniper rifle?<span id='postcolor'>

Compare the following screenshots. wink.gif

comp-01.jpg

comp-02.jpg

Try using the mil-relation formula for range estimating with my and BAS M3A scope (there is a 1.8m tall soldier at a distance of 500m in both cases) and you'll soon notice that one of the scopes is completely off. tounge.gif

Why do you feel the need to compete with us?

There are vast differences between the situations, we were making an addon pack, with lots and lots of weapons and soldiers, so diverting so much attention to just one weapon was not possible, if we were just making an M24 addon you would probably have a much harder time pointing out the flaws in our addons, so please, stop comparing it to our M24.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ April 11 2003,16:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why do you feel the need to compete with us?

There are vast differences between the situations, we were making an addon pack, with lots and lots of weapons and soldiers, so diverting so much attention to just one weapon was not possible, if we were just making an M24 addon you would probably have a much harder time pointing out the flaws in our addons, so please, stop comparing it to our M24.<span id='postcolor'>

Evis. next time read all posts wink.gif

Avonlady asked How does it differ from BAS' M24SWS sniper rifle?

Well I think the SShots says it all  biggrin.gif  tounge.gif