Sign in to follow this  
cef71

Any other similar to ofp?

Does anyone know of any other games similar to OFP, or that use the same engine? i have played tom clancys games (hated them), MOHAA (this was only OK), etc. NONE compare to OFP. Any suggestions?

ty

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cef71 @ Feb. 07 2003,14:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does anyone know of any other games similar to OFP, or that use the same engine?  i have played tom clancys games (hated them), MOHAA (this was only OK), etc.  NONE compare to OFP.  Any suggestions?

ty<span id='postcolor'>

Nope.

Your stuck with the best warfare sim ever made! wink.gif

Yeah, there really aren't any games even sort of like OFP, much less very similar. BIS kind of made a one of a kind game. I guess the closest you could get (in terms of realism and scale, respectively) would be Ghost Recon and Battlefield 1942. GR has the realism of OFP, but lacks the scale; meanwhile, BF1942 sort of has the scale of OFP, it doesn't have the realism or the fun (imho).

Well Vietcong is not out, but IMO it's really fun. That's not really like OFP, it's more of a Raven Shield circa Vietnam. The Levels are large, but are blocked off, since you can't really recreate all of Vietnam. But since they aren't GIGANTIC, they are very detailed and capture the atmoshpere very well.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cef71 @ Feb. 07 2003,14:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does anyone know of any other games similar to OFP, or that use the same engine?  i have played tom clancys games (hated them), MOHAA (this was only OK), etc.  NONE compare to OFP.  Any suggestions?

ty<span id='postcolor'>

Well, if you want a game that uses the same engine, you can allways buy VBS, but I guess that you will need a really good computor then, and I have read somewhere that the don't like private byers.... they only sell to gouverments and such...

http://www.virtualbattlefieldsystems.com/

other then that, there is none what I know about...

There is only one... =)

*edit* Well actually, the recomended system requirements wasn't that high, I can handle them...  biggrin.gif */edit*

BHD - unrealistic, not released yet

BF1942 - unrealistic, very

Viet-cong - good, not released yet

MOHAA - I've heard good things, never tried it

Stick with OFP wink.gif

Guest BratZ

Warbirds 3 and Armored Assault is sorta similiar

In Warbirds there is no ground action(no soldiers),your plane gets shot,you ride a chute down ,but your game is done

Armored Assault is ok if you like being stuck in a tank

Both have free offline versions and require credit card to play online(of course I havent played online)

But the plane models are ok in Warbirds

America's Army doesn't have vehicles, but it's got some nice close-quarters stuff and it's made by the Army, which means they like their realism smile.gif

America's Army

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (drewb99 @ Feb. 08 2003,01:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">America's Army doesn't have vehicles, but it's got some nice close-quarters stuff and it's made by the Army, which means they like their realism smile.gif

America's Army<span id='postcolor'>

LOL. AA realistic. *chortle*

AA is a few levels below OFP on the realism scale. You can still bunny hop if you want, and hte damage modelling is a little weak.

Now, it is fun for awhile..but in the end..I uninstalled it and went back to OFP. smile.gif

I am looking forward to Raven Shield for my CQB fix that OFP really doesnt do.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Feb. 08 2003,01:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (drewb99 @ Feb. 08 2003,01:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">America's Army doesn't have vehicles, but it's got some nice close-quarters stuff and it's made by the Army, which means they like their realism smile.gif

America's Army<span id='postcolor'>

LOL.  AA realistic.  *chortle*

AA is a few levels below OFP on the realism scale.  You can still bunny hop if you want, and hte damage modelling is a little weak.

Now, it is fun for awhile..but in the end..I uninstalled it and went back to OFP. smile.gif

I am looking forward to Raven Shield for my CQB fix that OFP really doesnt do.<span id='postcolor'>

Oh of course! How could we forget Raven Shield! biggrin.gif

If you like CQB (which is something OFP doesn't do well) definately give Raven Shield a try. There is a multiplayer demo out too.

In terms of older games I would suggest the Delta Force series, and Hidden & Dangerous. (H&D2 is in progress at the moment and looks great).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">AA is a few levels below OFP on the realism scale.  You can still bunny hop if you want, and the damage modelling is a little weak.<span id='postcolor'>

I didn't know that you could bunnyhop in AA... And the damagemodel, well, I once put two rounds in somebody and he died. So I guess it's ok. The whole game is still in *beta* actually. I've heard they are planning on making vehicles and stuff as well.

MOHAA:

It's great fun, great atmosphere, but no realism. I wonder how many germans actually stood up (in real life) again after they got hit between the eyes by a garand.

So far, nothing compares too OFP.

I only uninstalled AA because I couldn't get into sniper school. I could point, click, wait for breathing to stop, but just couldn't hit that target.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Feb. 08 2003,03:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I only uninstalled AA because I couldn't get into sniper school.  I could point, click, wait for breathing to stop, but just couldn't hit that target.<span id='postcolor'>

Note the thing is giving a little sidekick to the right (or was that the left?), anyway, you should anticipate on that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Feb. 08 2003,02:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you like CQB (which is something OFP doesn't do well) definately give Raven Shield a try. There is a multiplayer demo out too.<span id='postcolor'>

I didn't really like those CS-like maps they put into their MP Demo. We'll see how the real game is, I might buy it.

Don't think anything compares to OFP, not today. Possibly in the future, at least BIS' future products smile.gif

What pisses me off is, my friends all say "AA is far superiour to OFP in realism". So they dont play OFP anymore. Normaly this wouldnt bother me... but AA makes me itch. It has no replay value in my book. The only one I play out of those is BF1942, only because I like the large environments, and hey... it can be fun. Ofp still brings be back.

America's Army is pure crap in my opinion - and too CPU heavy considering it doesn't even look that good.

I never liked Ghost Recon series, but Raven Shield demo was very promising and 'feels' good like Rogue Spear and R6 did. So it might be good choice for CQB combat.

But in large-scale warfare simulation there is no substitute for OFP.