Sign in to follow this  
edc

Ie and windows me problems

I know this may be a little too much off topic for the offtopic forum, but I've posted at MS's forum w/o any luck. I'm having some fairly big problems on my computer: In IE6.0 with the Service Pack, the 'Open In New Window', thing when you right click a link doesn't work. Internet Explorer does nothing. Even the javascript command window.open is not working. Windows ME has also started having some problems. When I try to copy/delete/empty from recycle bin some files, its totally random as far as I can figure out, I get an error something like 'Explorer has an error in unknown'. Both of these and a few other smaller problems have started up in the last 2 or 3 days. Can anyone help?

Specs:

Windows ME

733mHz

512mb SDRAM

30 & 60 gig HDs

CD-RW

Nvidia Gforce4 MX 420

PS:I've ran a virus scan but it showed no viruses and I've reinstalled IE too.

Please help.

i had similar open in new window problem except that mine ended up showing blank page.

solution? reinstalled the bastard. mad.gif

My solution?

Get rid of that piece of dung ME and get XP or my prefered OS, Win2000.

If cost is a problem...

You know anyone at college or university? MS has deals with lots of universities to sell OS's, Office and the like. I got Win2000, Xp, and OfficeXP for 5 dollars each through a friend that is going to school. Check it out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ Feb. 04 2003,04:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If cost is a problem...

You know anyone at college or university? MS has deals with lots of universities to sell OS's, Office and the like. I got Win2000, Xp, and OfficeXP for 5 dollars each through a friend that is going to school. Check it out.<span id='postcolor'>

yup great idea. i got my Vis Basic pro for slightly over 100 bucks(or whatever it costed)

although it won't be 5 bucks or so, it's well worth to have actual product than falling for "recovery" disc they come with PCs.

my suggestion is to move away from ME. it's been getting a good share of bad rep. i moved from win 98SE to win 2k fairly recently.

if it is MS product, you might want to stay a step behind. wink.gif

problems? With ME? I never! wow.gif

Seriously, your best bet is to get either Win2k, WinXP, or even downgrade to 98SE, which is an alright OS for its age.

I suggest XP over 2000.

I used 2000 for about a year and had nothing but problems with it. I went to XP, problems solved. smile.gif

Though XP does take a little time to get used to.

www.mozilla.org

after you have tried the nho pop up option and tabs of thsi browser you will never go back set in options for mouse buttion 3 (or pressin down on mouse well) to open link in a tab it is a great browser. IE is a hunk of junk i never use it and has many flaws.

mozilla has email client irc client and other things like a web page creator and stuff built in, the latest net scape is based on mozilla code jsut removing the good bits and making it 3 times as big. IE is one of the few internet browses left that stil do not use tabs, the open new window feature is crap comapred to tabs where you can have one windowed with 10 different pages loaded and can access them at the clik of a button with out clutting the task bar.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ Feb. 04 2003,04:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My solution?

Get rid of that piece of dung ME and get XP or my prefered OS, Win2000.

If cost is a problem...

You know anyone at college or university? MS has deals with lots of universities to sell OS's, Office and the like. I got Win2000, Xp, and OfficeXP for 5 dollars each through a friend that is going to school. Check it out.<span id='postcolor'>

One of my IT lecturers used to swear that ME is the worst OS ever sold, a two-bit attempt to cash on people's Y2K fears by Billbo.

i think everyone thinks ME is teh worst a friend of mine had it soo many things would not work on it, essentially it is windows 98 made worse.

I'm figuring probably less than 6 months left on this computer, so I'm not gonna buy another OS. I don't have Mozilla, and I have tried reinstalling IE. crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ Feb. 04 2003,23:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't have Mozilla<span id='postcolor'>

Then you should download Mozilla right now. It's free, very good and it's not made by Microsoftâ„¢.

http://www.mozilla.org/

Looks like Helltoupee was faster than my twiddle fingers. tounge.gif

Is it easier to acess all of my cookies, downloaded pictures, and movies from Mozilla than it is on IE5?

IE5 seems to hide them somewhere.

Aside from the whole TAB and anti-pop up (Which I would LOVE) thingie, how is it better? I'm not really concerned about making my own web page or anything like that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Feb. 05 2003,00:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is it easier to acess all of my cookies, downloaded pictures, and movies from Mozilla than it is on IE5?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, yes and yes. Mozilla has a built in download manager and a few other handy tools.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Aside from the whole TAB and anti-pop up (Which I would LOVE) thingie, how is it better? I'm not really concerned about making my own web page or anything like that.<span id='postcolor'>

Mozilla doesn't crash nearly as often as Exploder. Actually it has never crashed on my computer.

It seems like the Open in New Window problem is gone now smile.gifsmile.gif , after I installed Mozilla. Mozilla is OK but it seems to me like its essentially Netscape 4 or 5 w/ more support for style script(still not as much as IE6 though). I'm not sure if the other problem I was having is fixed or not. It didn't happen all the time.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes, yes and yes. Mozilla has a built in download manager and a few other handy tools.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, I'm sold!

I'll give it a shot and see how things will work out.

Odd browser behavior is often the result of spyware, so I would scan the system using Ad-Aware or another program like that.

I set up a brand-new Compaq laptop the other day for a friend, and it came with the Alexa spyware crap pre-installed! mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One of my IT lecturers used to swear that ME is the worst OS ever sold, a two-bit attempt to cash on people's Y2K fears by Billbo.<span id='postcolor'>

I concur. If a friend ever asks me to fix a PC with Me on it, I warn them I'll nuke the OS as soon as I get my hands on it.

Christ, 95 is more stable than ME..... faster too!

Aghhhh.... WinMe..... (In dilbert fashion) Well, like everyone else suggested, go 2000 or XP. If you do mainly games, go with XP. If not, 2000 is one rock solid mofo!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (eh remraf @ Feb. 05 2003,02:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Aghhhh.... WinMe..... (In dilbert fashion) Well, like everyone else suggested, go 2000 or XP. If you do mainly games, go with XP. If not, 2000 is one rock solid mofo!<span id='postcolor'>

I've actually had no conflict problems with any games or any software.

I install all the SPs and updates (as one should if there is ANYTHING on your computer you want to save), and have never had a hardware or software problem. I run all my games through 2000 as well.

I know a lot of Network Admins that refuse to install XP on any of their machines until all the major security issues are resolved.

You can basically work with your OS a lot better in 2000 ( I think).

Also got Opera 7 and love it. Only problem is some sites like Bank Of America for some reason won't log on through Opera but have no problem in Netscape and IE. Any ideas?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ Feb. 05 2003,12:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It seems like the Open in New Window problem is gone now smile.gifsmile.gif , after I installed Mozilla. Mozilla is OK but it seems to me like its essentially Netscape 4 or 5 w/ more support for style script(still not as much as IE6 though). I'm not sure if the other problem I was having is fixed or not. It didn't happen all the time.<span id='postcolor'>

yr close, mozilla was started by netscape, when the first mozilla was released netscape took the source code and based their latest browser on it, many belive it is not as good as mozilla, u can get new themes for it i use the modern theme one of two that come with it. Mozilla is a great browser its anti pop up feature is somthing you wont find in a commerial product.

Well, to me, 2000 will be "prime time" with the upcoming SP. XP will be "prime time" when SP2 comes out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Feb. 05 2003,11:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is it easier to acess all of my cookies, downloaded pictures, and movies from Mozilla than it is on IE5?

IE5 seems to hide them somewhere.

Aside from the whole TAB and anti-pop up (Which I would LOVE) thingie, how is it better? I'm not really concerned about making my own web page or anything like that.<span id='postcolor'>

u will find all the stuff u deleat from temp internet files and cookies is not actually deleated, from linux i was looking thru the temp internet files on my windose paration and found every thing i had deleated over a long period of time, no other folders had anything like that.