Sign in to follow this  
akm74

Bmd3 beta 0.8

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ah ok... that makes sense now! So there is a commander...just not a permanent vehicle commander. When the squad dismounts, the "commander" of the squad goes with the infantry and the BMD-3 continues to operate just with the gunner and driver<span id='postcolor'>

exactly

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ Jan. 28 2003,06:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When the squad dismounts, the "commander" of the squad goes with the infantry and the BMD-3 continues to operate just with the gunner and driver.  That makes sense.  It's not a tactic used by the U.S. military as far as I know, but I've heard of this practice being used by the Russian army with several Russian APC's.   Plus with the limited space in the BMD-3, I can understand why they might use this tactic.  By the way....where on earth do the infantry dismount from?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?   There is no back door, and no side doors...so do they disembark from roof hatches?<span id='postcolor'>

It was a tactic also employed by the US military, remember m113, it has only gunner and driver - rest are passengers belonging to the infantry squad. M113 supports them in the battle. M2 Bradley has 3 man crew instead.

There's rear hatch which is used to exit the vehicle, it's in the empty space behind. It folds upwards to give more room for exiting. Interestingly, BMD-3 is intended to be dropped with parachute with it's entire crew and passengers inside unlike previous BMD versions...

wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blake @ Jan. 29 2003,09:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ Jan. 28 2003,06:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When the squad dismounts, the "commander" of the squad goes with the infantry and the BMD-3 continues to operate just with the gunner and driver.  That makes sense.  It's not a tactic used by the U.S. military as far as I know, but I've heard of this practice being used by the Russian army with several Russian APC's.   Plus with the limited space in the BMD-3, I can understand why they might use this tactic.  By the way....where on earth do the infantry dismount from?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?   There is no back door, and no side doors...so do they disembark from roof hatches?<span id='postcolor'>

It was a tactic also employed by the US military, remember m113, it has only gunner and driver - rest are passengers belonging to the infantry squad. M113 supports them in the battle. M2 Bradley has 3 man crew instead.

There's rear hatch which is used to exit the vehicle, it's in the empty space behind. It folds upwards to give more room for exiting. Interestingly, BMD-3 is intended to be dropped with parachute with it's entire crew and passengers inside unlike previous BMD versions...

wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

True, but does the M113 have a commander position in it's turret? The BMD-3 does. In the BMD-3 (and I think this was also the case with earlier BMD's) the squad leader, while in the vehicle, acts as the vehicle commander with his own position in the turret for spotting targets and giving orders to the gunner and driver.

I don't think a squad leader in an M113 gives orders to the gunner and driver while they are embarked as (as far as I know) their is no commander position from which he can view what's going on around the tank.

But then again I was not mechanized infantry in the Army so I could be wrong.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ Jan. 29 2003,16:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">True, but does the M113 have a commander position in it's turret?  The BMD-3 does.   In the BMD-3 (and I think this was also the case with earlier BMD's) the squad leader, while in the vehicle, acts as the vehicle commander with his own position in the turret for spotting targets and giving orders to the gunner and driver.  <span id='postcolor'>

Yes you are right about that it's is the main difference. But basically M113 APC is treated like a member of the squad and it operates under squad leader's commands when dismounted it generally stays back and gives fire support to the men. In vehicle however I have the impression that squad leader just tells the crew where to drop them off and relies on them to command the vehicle. A slight disadvantage as the squad leader has no independent view of the surrounding area so he could give some general instructions where to drive etc.

**edit**

By scripting, is it possible to model a paradrop of BMD-3 with the crew etc. inside?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blake @ Jan. 29 2003,16:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes you are right about that it's is the main difference. But basically M113 APC is treated like a member of the squad and it operates under squad leader's commands when dismounted it generally stays back and gives fire support to the men. In vehicle however I have the impression that squad leader just tells the crew where to drop them off and relies on them to command the vehicle. A slight disadvantage as the squad leader has no independent view of the surrounding area so he could give some general instructions where to drive etc.

**edit**

By scripting, is it possible to model a paradrop of BMD-3 with the crew etc. inside?<span id='postcolor'>

Ah ok. Makes sense. Oh...as far as the scripting... It should be possible using some of the existing parachute-to-object scripts and "GetPos" scripts, but I haven't seen it done. That would be worth checking out especially for usage with the AN-124 cargo aircraft addon.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ Jan. 29 2003,08:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">True, but does the M113 have a commander position in it's turret?  The BMD-3 does.   In the BMD-3 (and I think this was also the case with earlier BMD's) the squad leader, while in the vehicle, acts as the vehicle commander with his own position in the turret for spotting targets and giving orders to the gunner and driver.  

I don't think a squad leader in an M113 gives orders to the gunner and driver while they are embarked as (as far as I know) their is no commander position from which he can view what's going on around the tank.  

But then again I was not mechanized infantry in the Army so I could be wrong.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD><span id='postcolor'>

As a former infantryman, formerly having served in the last M-113 units in the US Army (11th ACR, OpFor at NTC and 1st of the 4th Infantry Regiment, the OpFor at Hohenfels, Germany) I can safely say that while there is no commander position in the M-113, the leader of the embarked squad definately has a say in what goes on with the vehicle. The M-113 crew is essentially a battle taxi and they go to wherever the squad leader would feel is the best place to disembark.

How does the squad leader keep control of the vehicle, even when he doesn't have a crew helmet with intercom? On the back of the M-113's top deck is a big hatch which can allow 4-6 soldiers to stand up and breathe the fresh air. They do this even in rain, sleet, and snow. One of those soldiers is ALWAYS the squad leader of the dismount infantry who occupies one of the forward corners of the hatch and shouts as loud as he can for the vehicle commander to go here or there or whatever.

The rest of the soldiers standing in that hatch are all gree-faced privates who can't stomach the rattling and swaying of cross-country driving inside of a sardine can. biggrin.gif

The Commander of any Russian Mechanised Infantry Combat Vehicle is part of the infantry squad, and depending on the situation he either disembarks the vehicle with the squad or he stays on board.

Miner little bugs

The side window of the driver hides buildings bushes etc when they are viewed through it

Also are the driver, gunner set up correctly, when I played it seemed that if I wanted to command the squad I had to be the driver and not have command of the vehicle?

The attached picture shows not only me not being leader of the squad but not commander of the vehicle but also the wall & buildings in front of me are missing confused.gif

BMD-3.JPG

The second picture is with me turned out but in the same location.

BMD-3-2.JPG

Hopes this helps you make an already great add-on better.

biggrin.gif

Is it possible to have the smoke dispensers working? This a question for all armored vehicle makers - can you make it a weapon option so that it lobs a smoke grenade a small distance from the turret. Or is there a 3 weapon limit for vehicles?

Even if the proxy doesn't work exactly right, it would still be cool. And before you tell me the AI doesn't see smoke, remember MP games.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The side window of the driver hides buildings bushes etc when they are viewed through it<span id='postcolor'>

I’m aware of this bag from very beginning. Still trying to fix it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is it possible to have the smoke dispensers working?<span id='postcolor'>

i Do have working smoke dispensers on BMD3 and BMD3M models (beta 0.9). All credit for it go to Rastavovich who help (well, i mean BUILD this script and tweak my config) to make it reality.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also are the driver, gunner set up correctly, when I played it seemed that if I wanted to command the squad I had to be the driver and not have command of the vehicle?<span id='postcolor'>

yes, driver in command now. I think that what BIS used for they M113. Actually all this driver, commander think give me a lot of headache. I decide to put commander in BMD3M model and thinking about do the same for BMD3.

Otherwise I have a lot of problem to make gunner and driver work correctly with this type of vehicle.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AKM74 @ Jan. 30 2003,17:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The side window of the driver hides buildings bushes etc when they are viewed through it<span id='postcolor'>

I’m aware of this bag from very beginning. Still trying to fix it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is it possible to have the smoke dispensers working?<span id='postcolor'>

i Do have working smoke dispensers on BMD3 and BMD3M models (beta 0.9). All credit for it go to Rastavovich who help (well, i mean BUILD this script and tweak my config) to make it reality.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also are the driver, gunner set up correctly, when I played it seemed that if I wanted to command the squad I had to be the driver and not have command of the vehicle?<span id='postcolor'>

yes, driver in command now. I think that was BIS used for they M113. Actually all this driver, commander think give me a lot of headache. I decide to put commander in BMD3M model and thinking about do the same for BMD3.

Otherwise I have a lot of problem to make gunner and driver work correctly with this type of vehicle.<span id='postcolor'>

any pics of the BMD-3M?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The side window of the driver hides buildings bushes etc when they are viewed through it<span id='postcolor'>

fixed now

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AKM74 @ Jan. 26 2003,05:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think the AGS-17 is normally mounted on the roof (or dismounted from the BMD-3 and fired by the infantry) and not in the turret.<span id='postcolor'>

AGS-17 is infantry weapons. And AG-17 builds in to the turret. Right near 30mm cannon.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also I think the AGS-17 fires a bit faster.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes it is, but I’m trying to keep it balanced in the game.

There is no commander on real one. Only 2 man crew (driver and gunner) and 5 mans in cargo. This vehicle used only by airborne troops and can be parachuted with crew and cargo inside.<span id='postcolor'>

I finally got around do downloading this, and I can say is wow! Nice work again!

But I have to agree about the AG-17, it should fire a lot faster, like Kegetys AGS-17.

Also, I couldn't see the grenades fly through the air, just the explosions?