johnnyboy

How to create dead flat bush?

I want to use flattened plants to create some camouflage for a composition.

This is how you create a fern based on the .p3d file:

_bush = createSimpleObject ["a3\vegetation_f_exp\shrub\b_calochlaena_f.p3d", [0,0,0]]; 
_bush setpos (player modelToWorld [0,1,1.5]))

But since it is a simple object, it does not take damage., so I cannot use "_bush setdammage 1;" to kill it and make it flat.

I'm thinking there must be another .p3d for the destroyed version of the plant.  How can I find the path to the destroyed version of bush?

Probably more an animation than another  p3d don't you think?

10 minutes ago, Mr H. said:

Probably more an animation than another  p3d don't you think?

You may be right.  However animationNames command to get list of animations returns an empty array for the bush.

Or a hidden selection then in the p3d? Would be useful to have a look at its config.

• Thanks 1

I'm thinking there must be another .p3d for the destroyed version of the plant.  How can I find the path to the destroyed version of bush?

The destroyed "tent" collapse effect is not another model , its a built in thing.   In models you have Named Properties > dammage , where you set the effect model will have when destroyed.
Most of the vegetation models have "tent" values set , so the object collapse "tent" like.  The folding effect tho, I have no idea how to call with a command, pretty sure there is none to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, froggyluv said:

Plot thickens. Some sort of 'Sniper Hide' there Johnny?

Dang, dude, you're good...😎

Its most likely just part of the bush simulation and not the model. Same about how bushes/trees swing in the wind, thats a hardcoded engine thing not a model/animation thing.

• Like 3

Might be difficult to achieve, since, if I recall right, bushes and grass will un-flatten over time.

For an initial flattening simply spawn an invisible vehicle over the bush, should work as long as it's not a simple object.

Cheers

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

For an initial flattening simply spawn an invisible vehicle over the bush, should work as long as it's not a simple object.

Thanks, its worth a try, but I think the problem is the only way to create a bush is createSimpleObject.  I'm guessing once its a simple object, it loses ability to animate and flatten.  Note that trees created this way do not sway in the wind.