Sign in to follow this  
Pierrot

Propositions toward next patches

In this topic, let's discuss about next patches. If you are mod or add-on makers, you must have some complaints in OFP system. What kind of improvements do you expect in next patches? Tell them here. Developers of OFP may pick up some of them. smile.gif

Now I have some suggestions toward next patch.

1. Support three parts [begin] [loop] [end] in sound.

In order to support weapons which have pre-start and reverb; e.g. vulcan. When you fire these weapons, first [begin] part is played only once, then [loop] part is played again and again until you stop fire. When you stop fire, [end] part, which is reverb, is played. Some flight simulators, for exapmle "Fancon 4.0" apply this method to vulcan, flap elevating.

2. Restore sound system to that of before 1.75.

From 1.85, full auto sounds have changed. I think it is a little bit halting. Full auto sounds( XM, AK74/47, G36, SteyrAug) are more smooth in 1.75 than in 1.85 or later. By the way, why did BIS changed full auto sound system? wink.gif

Wouldn't it be too hard to change the mechanism in which sounds are supported? I would think that would stop all current user-made addons from working properly...

I'm not a mod or addon maker but mention my wishes anyway xmas.gif

For a future patch I hope BIS find a way to improve the createUnit command (as it is now it induce a slight ~1 sec pause when used) since this command is great to make dynamicly and resource low SP/MP maps.

It would also be nice (or at least more conveniant) if the publicVariable command supported strings and array's.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Why not make it possible to hvae multiple gunner positions in tanks so that the abrams and t80 can be true with a Machine Gunner and a Heavy Gunner....really would bring out the true effectiveness of armor.....

Kevin

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KeyCat @ Dec. 31 2002,23:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For a future patch I hope BIS find a way to improve the createUnit command (as it is now it induce a slight ~1 sec pause when used)<span id='postcolor'>

Umm......no......it doesn't ,when i use the command it works instantly. And, even if it does that for you, whats the big deal?

Ok I was reading over at Desert OFP Lavos.. That they were making a hummer with TOW.. And had to halt the project because it is not possible to fire a rocket off a vehilcle of that type do to the game engine.. I hope that BIS will fix this our lives will all be complete.. Also.. they should fix the bug that makes it not possible for a chinook to fly with vehicles inside the cargo bay.. this might be a pain to fix.. but it will help out the BAS (Ballistic Addon Studios) quite a bit.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PiNs_Da_Smoka @ Dec. 31 2002,06:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Umm......no......it doesn't ,when i use the command it works instantly. And, even if it does that for you, whats the big deal?<span id='postcolor'>

Then you are a minority... Don't know what machine you are using but on my XP1800+, 256 MB RAM, Win 98 SE it pauses for ~1-2 sec when using createUnit in game no matter if I create 1 or more units.

See following thread for other people experiencing the same thing...

Createunit = createlag ?, Generating lag with createunit

The "big" deal is that this makes you aware when you run into a trigger that uses the createUnit command to dynamicly create enemies and thats why I hope BIS can find a way to improve this cool instruction since it would be preferable to have enemies created more transparently so to speak.

BTW, maybe you are using it in a place where you don't notice the pause (i.e in init.sqs)?

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ACES_KEVIN @ Dec. 31 2002,14:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why not make it possible to hvae multiple gunner positions in tanks so that the abrams and t80 can be true with a Machine Gunner and a Heavy Gunner....really would bring out the true effectiveness of armor.....<span id='postcolor'>

I'm pretty sure BIS has said that having multiple gunners (and maybe being able to fire missiles from wheeled vehicles) would require an overhaul of the current game engine. This is more like something we can look forward to in a sequel/successor to OFP smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr. Snrub @ Dec. 31 2002,04:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wouldn't it be too hard to change the mechanism in which sounds are supported? I would think that would stop all current user-made addons from working properly...<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, It may be difficult to change sound mechanism, but it wouldn't bother current user-made addons. Now sound is defined in config.bin like this;

sound[]={"Weapons\gun73",10.000000,1};

and BIS just let it add other grammer, e.g.;

soundBegin[]={"Weapons\gun73start",10.000000,1};

soundLoop[]={"Weapons\gun73loop",10.000000,1};

soundEnd[]={"Weapons\gun73end",10.000000,1};

then current add-on user need not change his config.bin. He can still use sound[]={}. If he wants to use new sound system, they just simply rewrite his config.bin. The only one who suffer pain is BIS. xmas.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KeyCat @ Jan. 01 2003,01:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Then you are a minority... Don't know what machine you are using but on my XP1800+, 256 MB RAM, Win 98 SE it pauses for ~1-2 sec when using createUnit in game no matter if I create 1 or more units.<span id='postcolor'>

Funny thing is, i have a P2 450mhz with 256mb RAM and Win98. And in the last mission i made, i had a script that created two full squads of units at the SAME TIME, and i experienced NO PAUSE whatsoever. Now, i'll be honest and not say its never happened, oddly enough, when the command first came out, i had a little pause in my system when i called such a script. But now, i get no slow down at all. But, i also seperated each soldier being created by about 0.2 seconds. But still, that took about 2-3 seconds to create two whole squads, without slow down. I will say that it could depend on the system and the way you use it, but look at my specs, far from a speed demon. Sounds like kind of a freak thing if you ask me. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PiNs_Da_Smoka @ Dec. 31 2002)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But, i also seperated each soldier being created by about 0.2 seconds.<span id='postcolor'>

Strange indeed.... Will try to add ~0.20 to my script, this may solve the problem even for me.

Edit: Just tried this and it did not solve it for me. Acctual it made it a bit worse (i.e more notable) also tried some different delays confused.gif

Make a trigger that calls a script using "createUnit" to create some units and then activate the trigger by running into it and you will see what I mean... Hope BIS can make it work more transparent and without such big pause since it's a very usefull command.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Another thing they have to make possible is a type of way you can be shot in the parachute.. this might help.. missions get more realistic.. it might not be possible though.

A. PublicExec that forces all clients to exec a script.

B. OnCollided eventhandler

C. EnableAI for after you've disabled it

D. FleeingState that returns the fear level of a unit

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pierrot @ Dec. 30 2002,18:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now I have some suggestions toward next patch.

1. Support three parts [begin] [loop] [end] in sound.

In order to support weapons which have pre-start and reverb; e.g. vulcan. When you fire these weapons, first [begin] part is played only once, then [loop] part is played again and again until you stop fire. When you stop fire, [end] part, which is reverb, is played. Some flight simulators, for exapmle "Fancon 4.0" apply this method to vulcan, flap elevating.

2. Restore sound system to that of before 1.75.

From 1.85, full auto sounds have changed. I think it is a little bit halting. Full auto sounds( XM, AK74/47, G36, SteyrAug) are more smooth in 1.75 than in 1.85 or later. By the way, why did BIS changed full auto sound system?  wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, i noticed this, now all of the fast fully autosounds sound like shit!

a. A new class of building/vehicle that allows for easy placement of people/crew eg. radar station operators, toll booth/gateway personnel, office personnell.

b. multi munitions loadouts underwing on aircraft

A kind of snap-to-grid function in the editor and a realtime preview-window would help placing objects without previewing the mission 10 times. Kinda like the GR-editor.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow @ Jan. 01 2003,12:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A kind of snap-to-grid function in the editor and a realtime preview-window would help placing objects without previewing the mission 10 times. Kinda like the GR-editor.<span id='postcolor'>

How hard is the GR editor ? Can a moron use it ?

Is there a possibility to have weaponsounds without direction/position? This would be a GREAT improvement for addonmakers for suppressors of assault rifles.

Explanation:

The soundsystem of OFP allows the player to hear sounds from a certain direction (sound source). Some sounds like the birds and insects in some areas have no source position (faik). Now the MAIN purpose of a suppressor on assault rifles is to suppress the signature of the shooter.

The suppressor affects following aspects:

-Muzzleflash is reduced for less visible perception

-Muzzle sound is reduced. The "bang" of the projectile whiping the air in front of the muzzle. THIS IS THE FIRST BANG OF THE GUN (there is two).

The second "bang" heard is the projectile breaking though the sonic barrier (after approx. 80m). The big "trick" with this sound is that its source can NOT be located (or at least the locating is wrong about 90°)

Of course this is only true for supersonic ammo which is used in assault rifles. Some suppressed guns use subsonic ammo which then of course does not break the sonic barrier.

How about this? I think it would give the different guns some more spice.

Actually.. That would actually help the game out alot.. Also when im playing on internet games alot.. I can hear a tree crumble from across the island... I know you all have this problem.. its annoying.

Upgraded game engine code. Including built in coding for moving vehicles on vehicles, the aircraft carrier coding, etc., all built into the engine for easier editing. More editor options too.

I also have a idea for future games of BIS

How about the same armor concept for planes,helo's , cars etc.. as you have for armor?

little example: (be amazed with my paint skills biggrin.gif )

example.JPG

and East, West, Civ, Res, name! So we can easily have things such as:

A Script that is activated by sombody from the East seeing a Resistance soldier, On Activation | East setbehaviour "Aware" | And that would make all of the east soldier set as aware!

I'm hoping for:

- multiple gunners in vehicles

- wheeled vehicles able to use missiles

the last three of Dinger's:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">B. OnCollided eventhandler

C. EnableAI for after you've disabled it

D. FleeingState that returns the fear level of a unit<span id='postcolor'>

And more functionality in scripting is always good...

And a more realistic damage model...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sphinx @ Jan. 01 2003,20:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow @ Jan. 01 2003,12:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A kind of snap-to-grid function in the editor and a realtime preview-window would help placing objects without previewing the mission 10 times. Kinda like the GR-editor.<span id='postcolor'>

How hard is the GR editor ? Can a moron use it ?<span id='postcolor'>

ermm I guess I was a moron. I did'nt understand didley-sh** tounge.gif

But the realtime preview in a window helped to ease moving stuff around