Sign in to follow this  
starstreams

Aiming question

I hope this pic shows up foreveryone

out of numbers 1 through 4, can anyone tell me what number represents the best level or point at wich the target should be? Another words I never know if I'm aiming too high or too low?

Please click the link below

http://www.angelfire.com/games4/starstreams/target_a.htm

By the way, sorry about the order of numbers, but you get the point I hope?  tounge.gif

Thanks Harnu

By the way, In this game do you know if the bullet drops over distance like in real life?

ya 3 should get him in the (chest or head),

and yes the bullets do drop over distance... this happends when the bullet gets to about ummm..  400m+ ? Don't know by telling... just go into your editor and set up a soldier, and now set yourself as a sniper and find out whats best. also put:      This setunitpos "UP"   in the INIT field of the enemy soldier so he doesn't lay down.

Sgt. Black Knight

Position 3 for typical engagement range (0-350m). After that, the bullet begins to drop xmas.gif

What about the RPG launcher? I don't yet have the game, just the demo.. But firing the missile launcher is hard. I try to use the row with the 2 beads in zoom mode but that doesn't always hit.

Most of OFPs guns are zeroed (adjustment of reticles) to about 300 meters. So on about 300m bullet will hit on spot 3. As ballistics calculation in OFP is very realistic (not so the parameters used but thats another story) on distances closer than 300m the point of impact will move up to the spots 2, 1, 0 and so on.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (starstreams @ Dec. 21 2002,23:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">By the way, In this game do you know if the bullet drops over distance like in real life?<span id='postcolor'>

With the sniper rifle over long distances it appears that you definitely need to aim higher than your target

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jamesia @ Dec. 26 2002,04:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (starstreams @ Dec. 21 2002,23:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">By the way, In this game do you know if the bullet drops over distance like in real life?<span id='postcolor'>

With the sniper rifle over long distances it appears that you definitely need to aim higher than your target<span id='postcolor'>

I second that. I remember times when I've used an M21 over 800m or so. I'd have the guy's chest squarely in my crosshairs, but when I'd pull the trigger the bullet would kick up a puff of sand at the guy's feet.

Of course, I don't do that anymore wink.gif .

Cheers

Mr B

The M21's scope must be calibrated for the distance to the target. If you follow the instructions in the manual on how to do that, it is spot-on.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Dec. 26 2002,18:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The M21's scope must be calibrated for the distance to the target. If you follow the instructions in the manual on how to do that, it is spot-on.<span id='postcolor'>

It is up to a certain distance. But remember, bullet drop in OFP definately IS there AND it is realistic! The .cpp of any gun contains bullet speed and the zeroing distance. Unfortunately quite some addons use unrealistic parameters there.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Dec. 26 2002,18:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The M21's scope must be calibrated for the distance to the target. If you follow the instructions in the manual on how to do that, it is spot-on.<span id='postcolor'>

Are you sure you are not confusing the Dragunov's scope with the M21 ?

The M21 is only a cross. The Dragunov however, has this curve with numbers on it to help you meassuring the distance to your target.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow @ Dec. 27 2002,09:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Dec. 26 2002,18:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The M21's scope must be calibrated for the distance to the target. If you follow the instructions in the manual on how to do that, it is spot-on.<span id='postcolor'>

Are you sure you are not confusing the Dragunov's scope with the M21 ?

The M21 is only a cross. The Dragunov however, has this curve with numbers on it to help you meassuring the distance to your target.<span id='postcolor'>

you can "calibrate" the m21 scope by zooming the scope so that a man fits exactly between the vertical mildots on the scope. then move the crosshairs to his head or chest area.

You can zoom in with your M21 scope by pressing "+" on your numeric pad and zoom out by pressing "-"

...if I`m not mistaken biggrin.gifwink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ Dec. 27 2002,15:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you can "calibrate" the m21 scope by zooming the scope so that a man fits exactly between the vertical mildots on the scope. then move the crosshairs to his head or chest area.<span id='postcolor'>

oooooooooooooooh   wow.gif

I was'nt aware of that. Thanks xmas.gif

I have always just shoot first and see where the bullet land, however I've become quite comfortable with the M21-sight so I usually hit stuff according to the distance, moving targets however, is a different issue tounge.gif

Just be sure to zoom out if you get closer to your enemy! It often ends tragically if you`re too focused on your scope and if you forgot by watching the distance what happened near to you tounge.gif

So is there a secret to the M72-sights too ?

besides them sights not being the same as the real-life M72 I mean...

As far as I know there`s nothing special with the M72-sights. But you need more exercise in aiming, because the rockets drop stronger than the bullets do.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Dec. 27 2002,15:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you need more exercise in aiming...<span id='postcolor'>

I was'nt referring to my aiming-skills, bro' tounge.gif

I was thinking if there was an easier way to figure out the distance to your target than using plain eye-sight wink.gif

LOL, that wasn`t meant as an insult, my dear Shadow  tounge.gif  wink.gif

I think the LAW aiming is good as it is. Just imagine what would happen if it was to easy to use from larger distances...  sad.gif

I always carry four LAWs with me if I know I`ll encounter tanks. The first LAW is only lead by my experience (close your eyes and feel the force tounge.gif (LOL Fubar had the same thought) ) and eyesight into the target, but if it misses I know by the crater on the ground how to aim better with the next one

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Dec. 27 2002,16:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">if it misses I know by the crater on the ground how to aim better with the next one<span id='postcolor'>

That is if you have time to reload tounge.gif

If I miss with a shot my experience tells me it is more often than not a matter of reloading my last save or a complete retry biggrin.gif

Which bring me to what happend yeasterday ( re-started the resistance campaign from the beginning). In the mission "Ammo Low" (where you need to stop a ammo-convoy). I remember there was 2 armoured units, I just forgot that 1 of them was a T-72 so I brought only 2 M72s with me and none to the rest of my men (more space for carrying stuff home if the trucks was destroyed) hehe biggrin.gif

....restart....

Oh, I often get a second shot, because I mainly play MP. Last time I sneaked behind an enemy M1A1 with four LAWs and started to fire at him. I was maybe only 30m away, directly behind the tank. The guys in there must`ve paniced, because I was able to fire 3 (three!!   biggrin.gif  ) rockets and hit! When I wanted to give the M1A1 the deathstroke, a teammate made a chopper-attackrun and killed both - me and the enemy tank  sad.gif  

That happens xmas.gif