Sign in to follow this  
Vikingo

Russian btr70

Scale and Size in OFP gave me a hard time too. I was developing an original sized army mil-dot reticle for some of the HK-pack guns of Vipersheart.

But we couldn't manage it for two reasons:

1. It's not enough to just make a right scaled picture of the reticle because it must be draged, positioned and scaled in O2 and I didn't have it.

2. Most of the scopes are zoomable but there seems to be no way in OFP to zoom the reticle size acordingly as it would be with a real scope.

Anyone got an idea?

out

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So is there a working place to download beta # 3? I had the LOD problem, big time, on #2.<span id='postcolor'>

You can download Beta #3 (modified) without the LOD bug right here.

Please only use left click and don't use download managers cos they don't work on that pretty bad server...

Still waiting for a good fan for help me with a mirror server wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Very good work i cant wait for the finished version.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah! Sea Demon did a great work.

I will have ready the second modified version for Dec 25 xmas.gif So stay tuned...

Vik, I'm sorry, but it doesn't work.

I hit the DL link and it goes to this page

_http://grflib.svnt.com/banners/personales2.gif

which is empty. The DL never starts.

I'm not using a DL manager, just IE 6.

Great model and I've been looking for something like this for awhile, but.....

It seems it's a little bit too tough and too powerful!! a 12.7 gun that takes out a t80? it takes 2 sometimes 3 LAWs to kill the thing?

Hmm, I've never found it takes more than 1 LAW to take it out - but I agree the main gun may be a little overpowered.

I just wanted to comment that my T72, T90 and Type 98 are much closer to actual scale than the BIS models. Put my T72 next to theirs and take a shot. . . You'll see.

I was always a bit concerned about the absurd scale of the BMP, but there's really no point in bothering to scale mods incorrectly just to fit with that. It would be a simple thing to make a BMP mod to actual scale. No biggie, it would actually take less than a week.

As for 'how the laws are over there where BIS is', perhaps you should check, rather than making the assumption about what they are. Remember, for one thing, they're in Eastern Europe, and for another, it's no difficult thing to get ahold of disabled military rifles (lead-filled barrel, etc.) as a collector. I live in Canada (gun control up the wazoo), and were I so inclined, I could do so myself.

Also, scale data on any military rifle is a click and a half away on the net, or in a book. And to go even further, I myself served a piddly two years in the military and have handled enough military weapons to last me a lifetime, to say nothing of civilian versions of those weapons. (The most exotic being a Russian SKS).

Naw. It's no where near as difficult as it's being made out here to gain access to primary source data for a game like this. And if you think it would be more difficult outside the US, you're kidding yourself big time. It's quite the opposite.

Sigma-6, I agree with you on the subject of scale. I wish you'd make a to-scale Abrams. (hint, hint) wink.gif

But why do you take such exception to the comments I made regarding the 'laws over there'?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also, scale data on any military rifle is a click and a half away on the net, or in a book. <span id='postcolor'>

While I suppose it is possible to get the dimentions for a certain weapon off of the internet, I've never found such a place. The only things I've ever seen mentioned were length and weight. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I myself served a piddly two years in the military and have handled enough military weapons to last me a lifetime<span id='postcolor'>

I don't know about you, but I find it very difficult to model specifics accurately based on memories alone. For instance, I found that my memory of the recoil from a 7.62x39 AK was way off when I recently operated one. I had to make some changes to my recoil settings. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Naw. It's no where near as difficult as it's being made out here to gain access to primary source data for a game like this.<span id='postcolor'>

I've found it helpful to operate the weapon that I'm trying to model. Or, at least, something similar to the weapon I'm trying to model. I believe it's the only way to properly recreate the 'feel' for firing a certain weapon. You guys may do it another way, but I don't think it will turn out to be as accurate as my way.

I think I was just gushing initially at how glad I am that I live in a place where I can do things my way.

I didn't mean to step on any toes. wow.gif

There is a new version of the BTR70 here. Soldiers can now sit on top of the APC, and there are some other changes. There is a winter version as well.

Once again, there´s lots of cool new stuff in this release, but it´s implemented a bit wrong and you didn´t fix some things from the last beta

Good:

+Cool animations! The "kick" attack is especially nice.

+soldiers sit on the APC. Great!

+sharper optics for the gun. thanks

+fixed LOD textures

Bad:

-Spetz Natz crew (with bandanas? come on)

-Kick attack causes an explosion!?

Strange...if you can´t make it better than that, leave it.

And why does it have 100 ammo? Might as well be 0 or 1.

-Soldiers PREFER sitting on the roof, the second guy who gets in cargo sits on the roof even tough there´s plenty of safe, armored space inside. Are they suicidal?

-the muzzle flash is too dark, restore it to how it was in

beta 2, please.

This addon keeps on getting better and better, good work! xmas.gif

Edit: I can see the advantages of having soldiers sitting on the roof before sitting inside, if you want to have it look cool...maybe you could release 2 versions in one pack, one where they sit on it and the other inside. Just a suggestion...

Nice work...I agree that the kick attack with explosions is probably best left unused. I also found an issue where the driver cannot look through the 'scope' (press v) view even when the window shield is closed...this will make it almost impossible to drive for people who use no third person view. Excellent work thus far...this addon is shaping up nicely!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gollum1 @ Dec. 23 2002,21:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">-Soldiers PREFER sitting on the roof, the second guy who gets in cargo sits on the roof even tough there´s plenty of safe, armored space inside. Are they suicidal?

Edit: I can see the advantages of having soldiers sitting on the roof before sitting inside, if you want to have it look cool...maybe you could release 2 versions in one pack, one where they sit on it and the other inside. Just a suggestion...<span id='postcolor'>

Try this:

1. Take sardine tin, and place it immediately behind a diesel-engined car. Start the engine.

2. Find 7-8 volunteers.

3. Equip all with an adequate amount of camping/hiking gear.

4. Since military weapons are not always available, visit your local DIY superstore ant tell everyone to take the biggest power tools and complete accessory range they can find, then get into the sardine tin. Deoderant is not allowed.

5. Once all are inside, wait 40 minutes, then fart.

It actually has a more practical reason too, as the US found out in Vietnam. The biggest killer while in transit wasn't snipers, it was mines. anyone inside an apc when an AT mine went off was dead. they rode on the roof to give themselves an extra layer of armour between them and the mines. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">-Soldiers PREFER sitting on the roof, the second guy who gets in cargo sits on the roof even tough there´s plenty of safe, armored space inside. Are they suicidal?

<span id='postcolor'>

They not sitting on top because it’s “cool†but because it little safer then inside. It comes with experience. Many UN troops in Bosnia and Kosovo copy this Russian practice now. Unfortunately this didn’t make sense with OFP game engine.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AKM74 @ Dec. 24 2002,04:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">-Soldiers PREFER sitting on the roof, the second guy who gets in cargo sits on the roof even tough there´s plenty of safe, armored space inside. Are they suicidal?

<span id='postcolor'>

They not sitting on top because it’s “cool†but because it little safer then inside. It comes with experience. Many UN troops in Bosnia and Kosovo copy this Russian practice now.  Unfortunately this didn’t make sense with OFP game engine.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, the draft would make it a lot cooler than inside...

I'll shut up.

I'm sure we have all seen the video of the BTR-70 (or 60 or 80) hitting an AT mine. I am equally sure that we all remember the results.

I felt really sorry for the poor saps on top, and inside too.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I felt really sorry for the poor saps on top and inside too. <span id='postcolor'>

You don't have to. First, it was not AT mine. And second me not sure about result. It was spectacular video, but nothing else. It was filmed from far away and stops before smoke disappear. I can understand why.

That’s why they show this single avi for 18 years.

They have nothing more to show. In resent Chechnya conflict middle rate of survivors, after APC hit mine or radio activated shell, more then 70%.

But again, these soldiers have real fighting experience, that’s why they know what they doing and why.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AKM74 @ Dec. 25 2002,07:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I felt really sorry for the poor saps on top, and inside too.<span id='postcolor'>

you don't have to. It was not AT mine.<span id='postcolor'>

Correct. If I remember correctly, in that video it was a command-detonated explosive. Whatever it was the explosion was much bigger then your average anti-tank mine as it engulfed the entire vehicle where as AT mines generally tend to just blow up the front part of the vehicle with a shape charged explosive.

Of coarse the main danger in OFP isn't from land mines but from small arms fire. I also would have prefered it if it was the last few people in a group that were sitting on the roof instead of the first few. At least that way you get more of a choice of whether or not you want troops sitting on the roof.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I know, I´ve seen that BTR (80?) video too, but what if they´re driving into combat, and they KNOW about it?

You should be able to choose...

And in OFP, you have a small arms threat 98% of the time, and if you do hit a mine in that 2%, the OFP engine kills you wherever you sit in the BTR. So...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gollum1 @ Dec. 24 2002,13:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know, I´ve seen that BTR (80?) video too, but what if they´re driving into combat, and they KNOW about it?

You should be able to choose...<span id='postcolor'>

Nice point. As I understood it, they rode outside while in transit. There would be situations when you would ride buttoned up, but when you got to an actual battle, the infantry would dismount anyway, from inside or on top.

BTW, I've also seen that video. If that was just a mine, I'll eat hay with a donkey!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wardog @ Dec. 25 2002,11:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BTW, I've also seen that video. If that was just a mine, I'll eat hay with a donkey!<span id='postcolor'>

Roger that.

Maybe it was a VERY HIGHLY modified one?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gollum1 @ Dec. 24 2002,23:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wardog @ Dec. 25 2002,11:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BTW, I've also seen that video. If that was just a mine, I'll eat hay with a donkey!<span id='postcolor'>

Roger that.

Maybe it was a VERY HIGHLY modified one?<span id='postcolor'>

More likely that they couldn't find enough sand to bury it, so filled the hole around it with about 200kg of semtex?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wardog @ Dec. 25 2002,22:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gollum1 @ Dec. 24 2002,23:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wardog @ Dec. 25 2002,11:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BTW, I've also seen that video. If that was just a mine, I'll eat hay with a donkey!<span id='postcolor'>

Roger that.

Maybe it was a VERY HIGHLY modified one?<span id='postcolor'>

More likely that they couldn't find enough sand to bury it, so filled the hole around it with about 200kg of semtex?<span id='postcolor'>

heh heh tounge.gif