Benchmark total: 953

System:

AMD 1900 XP

1 Gig DDR 333

Ati Radeon 9800 SE

Asus A7n8x nforce2 Board

Benchmark 4573 Points

OG

The reason why this thread was started is because you can get a return on the in-game benchmark value and use it in a script. So low/high end effects etc can be turned on/off through a script that reads your benchmark value. smile_o.gif

Of course...that's up to the individual, how they have their settings. But for PC's that get a very low benchmark it would be silly to run high end effects on, even if all settings are very low.

Of course...that's up to the individual, how they have their settings. But for PC's that get a very low benchmark it would be silly to run high end effects on, even if all settings are very low.

The benchmark I linked to is for fun/bragging rights only, however, it does give a more accurate comparision between different systems than the 'benchmark' command..

Ya I know, but you can't get a return on it in game wink_o.gif

XPpro sp1

Ath. 2100 (oc'd to 1995mhz) 200mhz fsb

2x512mb ddr400

Asus A7N8X-DLX 2.0

Asus 9280 GeF4 ti 4200 - 128mb

Benchy - 5338

-------------------------------------------

Comments, 95/98 is way better than ME. ME was MS's "screw -the-world" response to the lawsuits. They trashed the code to 'prove' that windows would break. Avoid like the plague.

XP can be tuned to run at about the same memory footprint as 2k, but it is a major hassle to do. If you want the fluff, you pay the price.

My numbers really don't fluctuate. That saying, switching from 2x256 ddr333 to 2x512 ddr400 without changing anything in bios boosted my benchmark by ~50. Also, switching from 12x166fsb to 10x200fsb to get a 1:1 fsb/memory ratio bumped it up by another 30~50 points.

BIS said that benchmark() only hits CPU. Hence the rest (other than the OS shackles) really doesn't matter, unless you have your ram so loaded that you play OFP out of your swap file. crazy_o.gif

In dev/mod testing, it seems like that OFP hits the CPU a lot harder than the GPU. I would go so far as to say that in OFP my GPU is sleeping its butt off waiting for stuff from the CPU. But if I went back and turned on the AA effects I might notice the GPU waking up, maybe. Still feels like the CPU.

I presume that the geometry slider sets the maximum threshold for dumping stuff to the video card.

-------------------------------------------

I suppose I would have better FPS if I didn't have wrptool, 2~3 acrobat pdf's for reference, winamp, and a scripteditor open all at the same time as OFP. tounge_o.gif 512mb just wasn't enough to get me by.

Asus P4P800 (i865PE)

Intel 2.4-C Ghz (800mhz FSB)

2x 256Mb (512) DDR333 (PC 2700) Dual Channelled

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb

Result: 5660

Asus PT4-E mainboard

Pentium 4 1.8ghz

256mb RDRAM

Geforce 3 ti200 64mb

Benchmark = 4109

Hm, I see a few people with slower computers than mine... to be honest I don't feel grateful. I just wonder how the screaming hell they can play ofp without tearing their hair out because of lag. I am extremely performance conscious despite the fact that a lot of other people with perhaps slower systems aren't... that's just me though.

CPU Benchmark - 5639

AMD 1833.8 Mhz

ASUS A7N8X-X Motherboard

1.5 gig RAM (3 x 512 DDRAM)

ASUS 128mb Geforce FX5200

Hope this helps.

Benchmark seems to change up or down a few hundred whenever I Autodetect in preferences...

Yep, this is quite common. +/-200 is roughly what it seems to be.

And MS-ME does totally suck as an OS. I think then lawsuit-revenge theory might just be right rock.gifcrazy_o.giftounge_o.gif

Ok - ok, I turned AA/AS back on. My apologies to everyone. Any comments on gfx5200 vs. gf4ti4200?

Re ME: One example I know for sure is that the MDAC/Jet system (Access core) is extremely unstable/unreliable on ME. I believe its related to a bunch of core system dlls being 'unique' from the Win32 API. Also the lack of 3rd party support and the extremely fast dropping by MS suggests something fishy.

Besides, 2K/XP has a lot better memory management and OpenGL functionality.