462cid

I feel a touch ill

I spent my free time this week- about 20 hours- making a nice little mission. I got some help from you folks, worked out all the kinks. Triggers with mortars raining down after enemies were spotted, a commander running away from danger, some little vignettes that player might run across, a scenario that the player could lose if he screwed up, and a potentially dicey final few moments.

And then, I closed the editor and had dinner. When I returned, I opened the editor back up, Loaded up the  map.  Not the mission, the empty map.

And selected 'save'. Right over my mission. Wiped it all out. A habit, clicking 'save'. But I had a brain cramp and overlooked that I had closed the editor.

So. That scream you just heard was me. I think I'll go have a scotch and beat my head on the floor now.

• Sad 1

I'm sorry, I can't quite hear you over the scotch

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't worry. The sting should wear off before yer brain gets completely pickled. :drinking:

I've done similar things many times. Hours of work lost because of a lapse in concentration. Or force of habit. We live, and with luck, learn....

Always save your projects on a repository server. Commit early, commit often.

I've lost my fair share of data over the past 15 years for various games. It even made me buy recovery software at some point (and it was worth it. Used it a couple times by now in various situations).

You should see it from the positive side: You now know what you want to do in the mission and can do it again, but better. Most of the time, the first version is probably crap anyway.

PS: I always thought the 3den editor is lacking a "load mission" function right from the main menu.

I feel for you :(

On ongoing projects I use a leapfrog system. I alternate between two or even three similarly named saves, that way I can preserve some small "history" if something goes south. Not as good as a repository, but then not everyone wants to fiddle with such things just to make a mission.

• Like 1

Well, first time in....almost 20 years of mission or skin making I had that brain fart. If any of you do any combat flight simming with IL-2, I made the 'white sun, blue sky' campaign and skins. Never wiped out any work before. I have (usually) very good 'click discipline'. I find in ARMA 3 however I am ding things from muscle memory that are valid for other mission builders. I was sure I had loaded the mission, not the map. Ah well. This is much easier than when a PC meltdown destroyed 2/3rds of a squadron of individual skins for aircraft, and I had to re-make the template from a jpeg!

I have all the structures back on the map including the infuriating sandbag emplacements. I always flip them over when I want to rotate. I have learned to love 'search' under 'Assets' And yes I saved a backup this time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, yxman said:

and thats the reason why you enable windows file history (settings - update & security - backup) ;)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17128/windows-8-file-history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_8#File_History 

Yep, I did the same thing the OP did, and was able to recover my mission with the windows file history.

I also agree with the poster that said to make a copy of your .sqm file. In fact, anybody that is making missions should have a folder dedicated to storing your backup .sqm files. 

On ‎10‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 2:11 PM, 462cid said:

I have all the structures back on the map including the infuriating sandbag emplacements. I always flip them over when I want to rotate. I have learned to love 'search' under 'Assets' And yes I saved a backup this time.

Good to know you're back on track. Good luck with that mission.

• Like 1

Tweaking it now so that timeouts and randomized units work to change it up enough to matter and provide a winnable scenario.

I also think I worked out the flare module in CUP.