Sign in to follow this  
chs_filmmaker

Raven shield demo

Well I downloaded the demo for RvS (Raven Shield) and here are my thoughts:

General: The game looks like it has a lot of promise, there are a lot of things they have to work on bt it is pretty good.

Multiplayer: (It is a multiplayer only demo) the net code completely sucks! If there s one thing they better fix in the final version it is the net code. I would be in a game with 3 people and it would lag like there were 10 people with high pings (and we all had low pings)

Gameplay: Not much different from the original R6 series although the main difference is that you can see your gun insteadd of just a crosshair (which I thought would actually be annoying for a tactical shooter, but it is actually pretty cool. Other little things like opening doors slowly and shadows make for a nice touch. Although it is built on the UT 2003 engine it still has the same pace as the old R6's, which may or may not be a good thing depending on the type of gamer you are.

Graphics: Very Good. Really gives a new look and life to R6, not much to say here.

Sound: One of my favorite parts, the noises are very realistic, nothing like hiding in a shadow and hearing someone slowly climbing a ladder only to be picked off when they reach the top biggrin.gif

Overall: Overall the game would be great if it wasn't for the crappy net code. The d/l was 150mbs I think. If I had to score just the demo, I would give it a 2/5 the lagging just made it hard to play.

agreed.

i just played it too, and net code seems decent, at least to me. but when i was playing on a server with under 200ping, and eveyone else was, 6 guys on map(prison) and sometimes i would warp even as i move. wow.gif

but this is a demo, so probably they will fix it. a great CQB game.

also, that smooth-leaning is a good idea. very useful. and good to see that you can go prone.

o boy doesnt this look sweet.

ravenshield2.JPG

I tried it and besides the netcode that will probably be fixed its a great closequarter game. The game gfx are jaw dropping and it runs pretty smooth at high rez. It could be the game of the year (unless Bis releases somethin soon he he he). I can't wait 4 when one day all this good games will be combined in 1: Grafics of Doom3/Unreal Warfare + ofp and better close quarter. I would just ask my government to put me on welfare and play all day... lol

Get it quick!

Ubisoft are cracking down up websites that allow you download it. I went to a few sites only to get 'this file has been removed becuase this demo is a Gamespy corportaion exclusive until November the 21st.

i just got back from more playing, and there are more errors than i thought there would be.

one time i got stuck , and all i could do was move front back left and right. no shooting no mouse

then it crashed on me citing some general protection error.

seems like they should work on bugs.

Can I ask a dumb question: how do I play single player? I tried to create a LAN game, which opened a DOS window, but nothing else...

P.S. I'm too lazy to do the whole readme thing.  wink.gif

lazy ass tounge.gif

it'll open DOS window which is LAN server executable. then start RS again. but it's quite laggy since you are running server and client on same PC.

You forgot to turn off Dedicated server....

Anyways, I love the game. It is totally excellent. But there are very annoying and influential bugs that totally detract from gameplay..

But in my opinion, that game always was best suited for SP.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DracoPaladore @ Nov. 15 2002,16:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You forgot to turn off Dedicated server....<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks smile.gif

Downloading it now. And why does the speed of the download slow down so much? It started off at around 260 KB/sec now its at 172 KB/sec!

Well here are my observtions, then opinions:

Lots of bugs like getting 100% stuck on a ladder. Sometimes rifle sounds loop forever or until you fire the rifle again.

opinions

The training maps are both too dark and unrealistic looking for me. So I look forward to the actual release for nice looking, realistic places.

I can see the potential for some great action once real missions are available, planing, going in etc. Personally I did not see great imrovements yet. Feels like a slowed down counterstrike... probably because the servers I played on had these 10 second timers running for everything... missions lasted 30 seconds... all when I'm trying to check out the game!

So for me the full version will be a slight improvement over the old version, the demo is just annoying for me. Without any planning stages or sneaking around and strategy, Rainbow is nothing to me because there is no freedom.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ale2999 @ Nov. 15 2002,01:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">o boy doesnt this look sweet.

ravenshield2.JPG

I tried it and besides the netcode that will probably be fixed its a great closequarter game. The game gfx are jaw dropping and it runs pretty smooth at high rez. It could be the game of the year (unless Bis releases somethin soon he he he). I can't wait 4 when one day all this good games will be combined in 1: Grafics of Doom3/Unreal Warfare + ofp and better close quarter. I would just ask my government to put me on welfare and play all day... lol<span id='postcolor'>

I don't know man, to mee it looks just like any other game and not much better than last version...

I notice the window looks alot better.

Some nice features i noticed is the vision blurring while using Auto Fire... and the HB is better.

"I don't know man, to mee it looks just like any other game and not much better than last version..."

The graphics are far much better than the ones that came before it. Smoke effects, windows, animations, movement, models, reflections in scopes etc. Its simply heaps better in the graphics department.

RS team did nice job with little things like dust coming out when you shoot a concrete wall. and at least to me, graphics improved. smoke...well.....i was in observer mode one time and saw smoke spreading, and it was like a plane advancing.

Okay yes now I played some more... the graphics are imroved quite a bit. The ghost camera is a really great feature. Good, I will get used to it and love it on better servers. smile.gif

Is there an option to play with bots? If it doesn't i won't download it because my connection sucks.

Wholly bugs, I kept getting booted to windows to look at all the graphics and sound errors... and the Unis change during the game so you FF.

Also silenced weapons don't kill well, some guys take 3 rounds from SG3000 surpressed and live.

THIS IS NOT A DEMO, IT IS A BETA VERSION OF A DEMO. smile.gif

I don't think there is an ironsight view. There is a gun model but all aiming is done with the reticule. A shame really, I wish ironsight had been the only option.