Sign in to follow this  
PitViper

Dynamic range 1.85 config.cpp

I'm getting ALOT of requests for the pre-binned config.cpp for the Dynamic Range sound mod 1.85 (apparently so people can edit their single player game). I'm not sure if I should release it though because of multiplayer cheating. Please vote and give me your reasons. (Note that the voting is only to give me an idea, I'm not necessarily going to follow the outcome.)

Some lames could get a nother change to cheat, and could make a goot team with gammacheating biggrin.gif

I voted no as it could result in cheating, send it to people you can trust if you need to.

RED

Um... if they want to cheat they can just use the original config.bin source and edit that.

Do you mean that you created config that doesn´t give "modified config" message in mp?

I voted yes because I'm getting a little sick of MP fans complaining and whining about things that are good for SP possibly being used for MP cheating...NOT ALL OF US PLAY MP ADVERSARIAL!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Nov. 12 2002,04:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Um... if they want to cheat they can just use the original config.bin source and edit that.<span id='postcolor'>

most can't figure that out.

Won't modified config files result in the "Original games do not FADE" message in MP resulting in a disconnect?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ Nov. 12 2002,16:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Nov. 12 2002,04:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Um... if they want to cheat they can just use the original config.bin source and edit that.<span id='postcolor'>

most can't figure that out.<span id='postcolor'>

I think most of the possible cheaters know how to extract a zip file...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Nov. 12 2002,09:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ Nov. 12 2002,16:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Nov. 12 2002,04:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Um... if they want to cheat they can just use the original config.bin source and edit that.<span id='postcolor'>

I think most of the possible cheaters know how to extract a zip file...<span id='postcolor'>

uhhh.. I've gotten alot of emails about getting a-lone-wolf's cpp's working too. They don't work straight out of the zip.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ Nov. 12 2002,20:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Nov. 12 2002,09:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ Nov. 12 2002,16:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Nov. 12 2002,04:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Um... if they want to cheat they can just use the original config.bin source and edit that.<span id='postcolor'>

I think most of the possible cheaters know how to extract a zip file...<span id='postcolor'>

uhhh.. I've gotten alot of emails about getting a-lone-wolf's cpp's working too.  They don't work straight out of the zip.<span id='postcolor'>

BIS ones work.

Hmm doesn't the server check if the players config.bin is different that the one the server.. Or that is the impression I get when I test on my 1.88 Linux server.. If the server have the dynamic range config.bin it don't complain..

The FADE message only appears when I run with some nocd fixed exe's.. but never with original and modifyed config.bin..

My mistake. Not the FADE, I meant the "xxx player is using a modified config file" or something like that. That appears if the config files have been altered.

I voted yes.  Because as someone metioned earlier some people don't play adversial mp.  (I don't play MP at all)

Another Yes here.

I'd like to mess with that .cpp (hit values, dispersion... and so on) in order i can customize my off line experience, wich is where I spent most of the time. But there's something I don't get, PV. Were the previous config.cpp releases increasing the number of cheaters in MP? If the answer is yes, I can understand why you're hesitating, but experience tells me that people who're willing to cheat will put all they effort in finding a way to do it.

In the Il-2 comunity there are some weirdos that spent more time trying to find how to exploit a feature (or actually cheat), than developing their flying skills (wich, by the way, is where the real fun is). Though these guys are there, most of the people playing Il-2 fly honestly. This is because Il-2 is not the type of game that appeals the casual gamer seeking for easy kills at all costs.

I would say it is the same for OPF. There are cheater wannabes and actual cheters playing OPF, for sure, but i guess they are a minority and will be rejected by the comunity once identified. My 2 cents.

Anyway, you have quite a crowd asking for this file, but a reasonable doubt about cheaters. Whatever you decide to do, must be understood as a positive thing for the comunity and it will be ok with me.

Regards

Viper don't release it: it doesnt matter cuz if a cheater is singled out, he is banned from the server I go on. nonetheless, yes the number of cheaters increased. Why do you need the cpp to mess around with the game? If u wanna mess up with the game, get oxygen and make an addon. Cheaters are not always smart

I don't think it'd be fair to not release something that could improve peoples gaming experience justs because of a few people who cheat.

i voted no.....if i were in PV's shoes i'd be too lazy to do extra work, even if it's a few clicks away tounge.gif

honestly, i really don't care. it's PV's choice.

I vote YES. Is great to can edit the config.cpp for Single Player and have all the modifications you want for the game!

In my own "version" i have 256 changes and I enjoy the game a lot more. Of course I hate cheaters in Multi. I think it will be a good thing release it.

I voted yes. I think you should release it if it helps the modding community. The cheater argument is really not that good, as it takes only ONE coder to create the cheat and spread it and i guess such a person can decompile and modify the original config or get another config.cpp anyway (i have like 2 or 3 config.cpp lying around, but i'm not really interested in modifying anything and wouldn't know how to anyway). Heck, i'm actually USING a modified config in multiplayer, namely your adaption of dynamic range for 1.85 biggrin.gif

i voted yes too - i think that there are a lot of applications out there for the config.cpp, i have something similar to Vinkingo (although i havent counted my changes), but i agree there will be the cheaters, but they are the lamo's who will get banned from the servers...

i think it will be an excelent tool to allow people to develop their cpp'ing skills, and it will allow people, like me who love your soundpack, to modify the game. At the moment i have 2 config.cpp's - your dynamic range (for mp), and my modified config, where i have changed all the models (using ash's realim pack - which rules) weapons, and the threat values and dispersion, which makes the game soooo much better.

I say you should release it with the usual - i hold no responsiblity if you get banned from server for using this cpp - its your own fault for being a lamo.... biggrin.gif

thats my 2 cents

I voted yes. Like somebody said that many play singleplayer only and it would be good for those people to have the new config. If somebody get´s "modified config" message in mp because of dynamic yadda yadda i would tell him to remove the modified config and kick him. If he get´s the same message after rejoining then ban him. So no big deal here, i think you can release it.

I voted yes, because hopefully this will fix that damn bug that has stopped me from editing my own config.bin mad.gif

No way dude, there are not much cheaters in the mp scene and lets keep it that way!