Sign in to follow this  
RedStorm

The Forgotten Battles

Damn the Me-262 is powerful! I've discovered a new maneuver that I intend to exploit fully in Multiplayer- I call it the super Immelman. Basically, you start off at 3000 meters, and then nose over into as steep a dive as any heart conditions you have will allow, pushing it to about 97% throttle. Start pulling out fairly low, and cob the throttle and put her into a vertical climb. at about 250 kmph, level out in standard immelman fashion. If you did it right, you will have regained almost all your previous altitude inside of about 15 seconds, and be crusing along at a decent speed to boot. Talk about the ultimate boom and zoom. Oh, you'll know you did it right when you break 1000 kmph biggrin_o.gif

I've got some video of it, if you'd like to see it (requires you to have FB, of course)

Lucky for me most people who fly the Me-262 online in DF maps don't know what they're doing. Follow them long enough, dodge a few slashing attacks, and pretty soon you can get a nice flame out of one of those engine nacelles. Ah I love jet fuel biggrin_o.gif. Wow, come to think of it it's been a while since I've been in a DF server since I started on that Forgotten Wars online campaign, and with every week representing a month it'll be quite a while till I run into one of those again.

But if you like the Me-262 I think you'll be very happy with the newest 3rd party model to have been accepted by Oleg smile_o.gif

Pic 1

Pic 2

I like they way the engines explode if u whack up the power really quick on them.

I wish there was more of the bigger bombers in IL-2 crazy_o.gif

The Me 262 is truly king. Using it in multiplayer is fantastic.

1. Climb to a decent height (Can take a few minutes)

2. Start flying race tracks around the combat area.

3. Pick a victim (Fat TB3s are most satisfying)

4. Start a shallow dive, keeping an eye on your airspeed and engines, aiming to slash the unsuspecting bandit on his 6/9/3 o 'clock.

5. Hold fire until your about to ram the bastard and squeeze off a quick burst. (Your firing 30mm, you don't need anymore than a quick burst)

6. Regardless if you have nailed the bandit, continue the dive for little while and pull gently up to regain altitude.

7. If you not sitting pretty back up on your 'perch' with a smoking hole below you, setup another attack. Bear in mind, he knows your there, and will be attempting to climb to get you. Use this against him, his low airspeed will give little margin for error. Try to get high/behind him and setup again. He will either try to turn to match your heading (Losing more speed, or possibly stalling), or go into a dive. (Pretty foolish, you canslide up behind him and wax the bastard). However, never go for headon, as its his only way of effectively hitting your fragile plane.

8. If all else fails and the guy is not co-operating, simply ditch him, and find new prey. With your alt and speed bonus's, he doesn't stand a chance of catching you.

Remember, speed is you friend, never start pulling high G's in the 262. Smart B n Zing will take down any aircraft quite efficiently.

(Or if your a vulcher, simply load up with R4M's. Vulchtastic!)

Quote[/b] ](Or if your a vulcher, simply load up with R4M's. Vulchtastic!)

Indeed. In fact, I think I'm gonna boot up FB right now and have some BnZ fun...

All u lot with ur m262 i say go for the yak with the 45mm thud gun biggrin_o.gif

heh i use the 190D, its very strong with lotas ammo, and can keep speed in turns, if u see a p47 go for it ur almost guranteed a kill :P, cant wait for the patch tho where they fix the undermodeled 20mms and doras climb rate.

All u lot  with  ur m262 i say go for the yak with the 45mm thud gun biggrin_o.gif

That thing is total overkill with crazy recoil and no ammo. My sig clearly shows a Yak-3's two 12.7mm MGs and 20 mm cannon to be quite sufficient smile_o.gif. Hell, I only ever use the cannon on it when I'm very close to the target, those MG's have relatively no recoil and an insane rate of fire, aim for a vulnerable spot and at the least you'll cripple him.

Damnit, now I really have to go find a new joystick, thanks guys  mad_o.gif  wink_o.gif

What is there for about 50 dollars US?

My baby:

wingmanforce3d.gif

Logitech Wingman Force 3d

Some price comparisons

The Me 262 is truly king.

You know, I've been doing some practicing against the late-war German fighters in a Yak-3, and from the perspective of the guy on the other side, I don't agree. In my opinion the absolute king of the German fighters is the bf-109K-4. It's fast as hell, no jet but fast enough to be able to extend from a Yak fairly easily, the single Mk-108 in the nose packs enough punch to down most fighters in one or two hits, and unlike the shotgun effect you get with the 4 Mk-108's, it's frightfully accurate. It's even fairly good at turning for a short time, and I've lost every single rolling scissors I've entered against them in a Yak-3. And of course, it's not nearly as prone to catch fire or explode as a 262. This is what I'm seeing from single player in the quick mission builder, and maybe the AI can't take full advantage of the 262, but the 109K-4's impressing me much more.

Take 3 ace 109 K-4's and go against them in a Yak-3 and you'll have a hell of a all-in-one air combat practice. You'll need sharp gunnery, ammo conservation,  good situational awareness, and if you survive long enough, you're going to have to worry about that VK-105 engine's overheating tendencies. I've been using that setup to practice for the last hour and I only survived twice - the second time I was very lucky in that the number 3 109 messed up a high yo-yo while on my six and flew into the ground.

Here's the two tracks (about 7-9 mins each. Right click-> Save As)

http://academic.algonquincollege.com/students/lope0036/training1.trk

http://academic.algonquincollege.com/students/lope0036/training2.trk

*edit* Just ran those tracks under arcade mode to see how my gunnery was and took some screenshots. Allow me to demonstrate why I love those UBS MG's on the Yak-3...they're like scalpels smile_o.gif

Precision1.jpg

Precision2.jpg

Precision3.jpg

It's you lot!

The buggers in Me-262s!

I remember my first encounter in MP with them, *A blur as this green things shoots past me*, hmm i look over to my left to see their base and notice my wing is missing, ohh dear, but i'm in stable flight, look to my right, ahh, my other wing is missing. I go to external view and there is just my engine and cockpit, the rear fuesalage got knawed off as well.

But now i can counter your attacks! I just always see em now coming in and at the last moment and pull a quick one and slip out of his gun envelope, sometimes the bugger tries to wrench it round and dogfight with me but he forgets he's doing 800kmphs and loses control, very satisfying.

I don't know how many people i've got to lose control, sometimes you need to do some pretty hairy stuff to entice them down into their fate, like flying scissors through a highstreet!

I remember my first encounter in MP with them, *A blur as this green things shoots past me*, hmm i look over to my left to see their base and notice my wing is missing, ohh dear, but i'm in stable flight, look to my right, ahh, my other wing is missing. I go to external view and there is just my engine and cockpit, the rear fuesalage got knawed off as well.

LMFAO You just reminded me of that carrier landing scene in Hot Shots biggrin_o.gif.

It's you lot!

The buggers in Me-262s!

But now i can counter your attacks! I just always see em now coming in and at the last moment and pull a quick one and slip out of his gun envelope, sometimes the bugger tries to wrench it round and dogfight with me but he forgets he's doing 800kmphs and loses control, very satisfying.

I don't know how many people i've got to lose control, sometimes you need to do some pretty hairy stuff to entice them down into their fate, like flying scissors through a highstreet!

If you fly the 262 properly, you can't be drawn into a fight. Your speed advantage allows you to pick and choose your fights. Woe betide the silly bastard who tries to TnB in a 262. Its asking for trouble, and is playing to your opponents advantages.

Remember, E is life! (Oh,and 4 30mm cannons are nice too! )

The flyable P51-D will be the best for me... although i wish they added british voices. As of now the brits speak russian smile_o.gif

All i need to do now is just update my drivers from 2.5 to 3.4 and i'll be set biggrin_o.gif

Considering that the P-51 needed 10 degrees of flap in order to turn with a 109, I can already see the Undermodelling/Russian bias flame wars coming as soon as they start being flown against late-war Yaks and La-5/7's. It's going to be great at high alt and good at BnZ, but I doubt that most American players are going to expect that. From Hollywood you'd think it was a fighter that could turn like a Spitfire.

I try to stay away from the Ubi boards these days. (So does Oleg, and I can't blame him)

When the P51 comes out, people will be vomiting with rage because it can't turn on the deck, its 6 .50 cals don't tear wings off, and the engine dies as soon as a round hits it.

The P47 was bad enough, this will be highly amusing.

I try to stay away from the Ubi boards these days. (So does Oleg, and I can't blame him)

Check his ready room again, he's back. Apparently he has been sick. Oleg still loves us smile_o.gif.

Arghh, but the Ubi boards are full of complete bastards. They just bitch and moan constantly.

Anyone who likes German aircraft is a 'Nazi lover', and that twat Skychimp is so pro-US and anti everyone else, I'm sure he has a giant Bush face tattoed on his chest.

They need disciplining, OPF mod style!

@ June 05 2003,12:28)]hehe, wait until you find some yanks who know how to use it  smile_o.gif

Well damn it man, gather them up and get them to start posting on the Ubi boards so I can read a bit more worthwhile content and a bit less of how Forgotten battles is a KGB creation designed to revise the history of the airwar on the Eastern front :P wink_o.gif .

@ June 05 2003,16:28)]hehe, wait until you find some yanks who know how to use it  smile_o.gif

Problem being the majority won't. Still, more kills for us eh? Hurrah!

Edit - Just reading the 'Oleg returns' thread. It's funny how all those people who have been slating him as a 'evil pinko commie bastard' slide up and start singing his praises again. Madness!

@ June 05 2003,16:28)]hehe, wait until you find some yanks who know how to use it  smile_o.gif

Problem being the majority won't. Still, more kills for us eh? Hurrah!

There'll always be a guy who actually has a clue, and that's who Oleg makes his sims for- I admire that. He doesn't tone airplanes down just because someone is getting their ass kicked. When is the P51 coming out, btw?

I imagine it will be with the first patch, as I believe the cockpit is effectively 'done'.

The patch itself is slated for 'June', so start your guessing now.