target_practice

Ideal setting for an Arma game.

Arma time period  

146 members have voted

1. 1. What time period and setting would be best for an Arma game?

• Early 1800s (Napoleonic wars)
    • Mid/Late 1800s
    • First World War
    • Second World War (Iron Front)
    • Early/Mid Cold War (Korean war, Vietnam war etc,)
    • Late Cold War (OFP:CWC)
    • Contemporary/Very-near-future (ArmA, Arma 2, Arma 2:OA)
    • Near-future (Arma 3)
    • Mid/Far-future (2080-???)
    • Other (specify in post)

Proof ?

That would be fantastic btw.

I can't remember where I read that, so don't take it as a proven fact, but on my side I'm pretty sure they said that for weapons or(logical) vehicles.

I'll ask on an Apex-related thread.

I can't remember where I read that, so don't take it as a proven fact, but on my side I'm pretty they said that for weapons or(logical) vehicles.

I'll ask on an Apex-related thread.

From the store page https://store.bistudio.com/products/arma3-apex :

Arma 3 aims to dig into the theme of near-future combat, expand the main game's line-up of more familiar / modern-day armaments

Don't remember reading anything more specific about it though.

To be a little bit more on-topic, I think that something more futuristic would miss Arma credibility and authenticity.

Something before, let's say, WW2,would not fit the Armaverse, as it's more "pitched battles" before WW1, and static battles during WW1.

WW2 has a lot of opportunities : as it's a World War, their is a lot of interesting locations to explore. Still, the fact that it's historical content may create issues of realism : the scenario could try to recreate real battles, or create new ones. In both cases, there is a risk of loss of authenticity.

Something during cold war would be too close from Arma 2. Something in close-futur would be too close from Arma 3. Something contemporary would be too close from Arma 2 AND 3.

Soooo....

Cold war was a long time.

Cold war spans from the end of ww2 all the way to 1991. So really there is a ton of areas that Bohemia could explore.

More importantly there are a butt ton of experimental weapons, vehicles, bombers , fighters etc that could be adapted.

World War 2 all the way, all i play, all i care to play, and the theaters of the war that could be played would be amazing, Ostfront being the biggest, Africa, Finnish/Russo war, early war 1939-1941,

Italian front, or Mediterranean theater, Romanian theater - can anyone who has played RO say "Carpathian Crosses", norway, uboats, battle of Britain, ect,.

This list i been compiling since 2013 is the number of things requested by many that could be in the game:

http://ironfront.forumchitchat.com/post/iron-front-wish-list-6253769?&trail=15

I know loads of people complain about there being too few WW2 games, but I think there is already enough to be honest.

I mean, you can only explore the same 6 years so much before it becomes a bit stale.

Personally i think that modern times, not future will fit arma better  - i like to use guns and equipment that i know and im aware of.

There could be ak-12 and stuff, some time passed since arma 2:oa..

I find that the modding community ends up giving us all that is on the spectrum of possible weaponry between 1930 and 2030. Tanks, guns, helos, planes, etc. All of which have existed since OFP. What would be interesting with a next arma iteration is covering something the community has not been able to effectively deliver. I'm thinking specifically of mechs.

No offence to gmwo's excellent WAPMOD, but from what I understand current animation systems don't really support the creation of believable mechs.

Would be nice to have some new built in mechanisms to give us something genuinely new in the armaverse. Modders will still bring every iteration of the US Marine Corps and their gear between 1940 and 2030 no matter what the next arma setting will be.

I don't think it should be full on energy weapons, but maybe more something like the tech represented in Ghost in the Shell. From large mechs to more armored powersuit type gear. They could keep 2 extra low-tech guerilla factions that have more traditional vehicles and gear.

Otherwise I get the feeling the only extra perks we will ever get from BIS is better graphics, bigger maps, and fixing legacy issues with the engine. Would be nice to get something genuinely new.

And no one considered Arma : Rome ?

Personally, I would love to see a mil sim game (which I'm fairly new to and love) set in a future setting, while realistically portraying new technology you see in blockbuster games and movies. Examples being exosuits, optical camouflage, and more. In typical games they perform flawlessly, and are either overpowered or nerfed for balance. But it would be very cool to see a realistic game recreate these with real pros and cons. Would optical camo become fidgety during movement? Would it only render you hidden in one spectrum or plane of sight? Same with an exosuit or even delve into railguns or gauss rifles. I just think that would be interesting. 

Of course, I also like the setting of Arma 3, in the near future. Though, I question some of the technology for a timeline 30 years or so in the future. Seems more like something you'd see in 10 years or so. Just food for thought! 

• Like 1

No science fiction, no restrained armament. The contemporary- near future is the best imho.