Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Prostitutes steal secret software from us army

From http://english.pravda.ru/main/2002/10/22/38519.html

Prostitutes Steal Secret Software from US Army

Prostitutes stole a portable computer with secret software from US Army soldiers currently conducting military exercises in Poland. The computer disappeared when three programmers of the US Army invited prostitutes to dinner and to drink. The men fell asleep rather quickly. However, when they woke up in the morning, they discovered that their computer disappeared; in addition to the computer, the girls also stole a digital camera and a pair of speakers.

The US Army HQ estimated the loss to be 120,000 dollars, about 100,000 of the sum is the cost of the secret software. It is the theft of the software that actually worries army officers very much, as the computer contained secret information concerning the US Army.

Military exercises are regularly held on Europe's largest training area, which is located in Poland. The unlucky programmers serve in the US Army Fifth Corps and are stationed in the Federal Republic of Germany. Since Poland became a NATO member, military exercises of the fifth corps have been regularly held in Poland.

I told you about the crime in Poland! lol

If they get lucky, the HD will be quickly formatted for sale of the laptop. Although the laptop is probably military spec (battle ready) in which case they are going to have a field day with the software.

This is ridiculous... stupid programmers. wow.gif

In my opinion the article is balony or grossly untrue. If it did infact happen why would the Army release this info ? So the ones in posession of the stolen computer would know they hold classified information ? Furthermore why would the army state the exact price of the software/hardware ? So that the ones in posession could ask for "ransom" ?

Some news reporting agencies/sources release bogus stuff to earn attention.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Oct. 25 2002,15:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Unfortunately, VBS1 is used by Marines, and not the normal army. sad.gif Lol, thats pretty funny. biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

VBS1 can actually be used by several Authorities... and we might not even know about it. Especially in an early stage it may be on a laptop in EU. confused.gif

Marines are just advertized as using it, there are or will be more.

I too would doubt the validity of this report. I haven't heard about this anywhere else either. I'd definately expect it to be on Earlybird if it was true. I'm also curious why "programmers" would have a classified laptop in their hotel room. And as advocatexxx pointed out, why would they go public with this story?

ah ha

i love it

thats awsome

totally awsome

ha

lol

hahahaha

tounge.gif

hahahaha

ugh

and im spent

I admit, stranger things have happened. but only a very small handfull of soldiers would have equipment like that with them, among them higher ranking SF personnel. and those would be too professional to give some two-bit hooker the chance to steal from them.

case dismissed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sam Samson @ Oct. 26 2002,23:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I admit, stranger things have happened. but only a very small handfull of soldiers would have equipment like that with them, among them higher ranking SF personnel. and those would be too professional to give some two-bit hooker the chance to steal from them.

case dismissed.<span id='postcolor'>

The only people that do development work are high ranking special forces guys?

I am not saying that I take this story as fact, but it doesnt stretch the limits of possibilities. It's is quite possible that these guys were US forces software development guys, and that after a night of partying something went missing. I seem to remember one story last year some time about a Brit having a notebook full of classified materials stolen from him. Cant find specific details, but it sticks out from when I used to hang out on Slashdot a lot.

In any case, if it is true, I'd say these guys need to be sent to the deepest, darkest, most out of the way and digusting duty station that the US military can find for them smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Oct. 27 2002,00:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I seem to remember one story last year some time about a Brit having a notebook full of classified materials stolen from him.  Cant find specific details, but it sticks out from when I used to hang out on Slashdot a lot.<span id='postcolor'>

We seem to be doing this a lot, MP's losing papers, MP's losing lap tops with sensitive info on them, someone from MI5 losing a lap top on a train, break-in in NI where sensitive info was stolen, etc. etc.

So.. polish prostitutes stole a laptop. Now, my girlfriend harldy even knows how to use one. So can I call her dumber than a polish whore? tounge.gif I'm sorry I know it was a little off-topic but I just had to biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Oct. 27 2002,02:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So.. polish prostitutes stole a laptop.  Now, my girlfriend harldy even knows how to use one.  So can I call her dumber than a polish whore?  tounge.gif   I'm sorry I know it was a little off-topic but I just had to  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

If you never want to touch her while she is without clothing, no... that wouldnt be a very good idea biggrin.gif

Placebo, the one I was thinking of was the MI5 guy on the train. Thanks for jogging my memory!

wow.gif5--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Oct. 27 2002,02wow.gif5)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Placebo, the one I was thinking of was the MI5 guy on the train. Thanks for jogging my memory!<span id='postcolor'>

Link here to the Beeb smile.gif

_693011_mi6300.jpg

MI6's Secret Headquarters.

Polish Prostitutes. LOL!!! They probaly thought it was a paper weight. Or perhaps a portable speed bump!

What could you really expect from Army Programmers though? Buy a prostitute for "drinks" and coversation. *sigh* What is this "army of one" coming to! If they were Marine's Under MOS BX (Like myself i might add!wink.gif No sleeping would be involved. Of course, neither would Polish Prostitutes.

ibm is offering busnissess laptops now that have fingerprint recognizion and even global tracking so that when its stolen it would be found. if this thing was THAT secret wouldnt it have been found by now? the us army isnt that dumb

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (xmurderx @ Oct. 27 2002,18:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ibm is offering busnissess laptops now that have fingerprint recognizion and even global tracking so that when its stolen it would be found. if this thing was THAT secret wouldnt it have been found by now? the us army isnt that dumb<span id='postcolor'>

The only thing is that military procurement from the civilian sector tends to run a year/year and a half behind. So it would be like 2005 before we ended up with stuff like that down here. The laptop we have at the office is a pentium pro!