pinaz93

Eurofighter Typhoon AWS

EUROFIGHTER TYPHOON AWS

Hi all,

I'm working on a new version of the Eurofighter Typhoon from Hcpookie, and I'm ready for the release. This is a WIP and it's not perfect, the main goal of this release it's to make the original plane compatible with AWS and do some other little improvements... Feel free to help me or Hcpookie with this plane or do your own version!

Main things:

-removed random numbers from the fuselage

-Firewill's Air Weapons System integration (weapons, ECM, Targeting)

-Faster than the original

-Config improvements, it will not stalls on every close turn

-No cup requirements

-Loadout Menu

-Real afterburner

-Supercruise

NOT SURE future impovements:

-GPS tageting for SCALP/Storm Shadow

-SEAD

What's Inside:

-The plane (you don't say?!)

Texture list:

BLUFOR:

-Italian Air Force

-Royal Air Force

-German Air Force

-French Air Force

-Canadian Air force

-German Air force 73W

INDFOR:

-AAF

-Generic INDFOR

OPFOR:

-CSAT Desert

-CSAT Grey

-Generic OPFOR

Thanks to:

-HcPookie for the great plane

-Dreamrebel for some help with the texture

-Firewill for his AWS pack and the loadout menu

-John Spartan that made the original Loadout menu

-"Roofie", sfod-d_snakebite, reforger for tests on the plane

-[Dust]Sabre for the integration of the Aerial refueling with the KC-130

DOWNLOAD (Requires Firewill's Air Weapons System!):

Steam workshop 2.0.2: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1625724231

Original addon by Hcpookie (here you can find the sources too): https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/187612-ef-2000-plane-community-addon/

here some screenshots:

2016-01-31_00002_zpsppntbjdp.jpg

2016-01-31_00004_zpscyd5fist.jpg

• Like 11

Awsome, the ability to hit 1000kmph+ is a really nice bonus 

• Like 1

What's the point of having 4k textures when they look like this?
NARovmf.png?1
sXWP0oV.jpg?1

Also you forgot a 16mb tga file in your pbo.

NARovmf.png?1

Also you forgot a 16mb tga file in your pbo.

Simply becouse looks better, especially the panels, on lower resolution them looks worst (only on the top part of the plane), and I was not pleased with them... that's the only reason why I have ported the texture to 4096x4096! The rest of the textures are based on the original one...

Why it's a problem for you?

And sorry for the Tga, I'll remove it ;)

Simply becouse looks better, especially the panels, on lower resolution them looks worst, and I was not pleased with them... that's the only reason why I have ported the texture to 4096x4096! The rest of the textures are based on the original one...

Why it's a problem for you?

Because it looks like you could have used a much smaller texture with no visible downsides, not to mention the massive waste of space on those maps (though I realize you didn't make the model).

The bigger the texture, the more pixels are just wasted on empty space. Hell, you can still see the compression artefacts that makes the texture look like it came from a jpeg scaled up 4-8 times.

The size of the texture files themselves aren't big, it's true (I suspect because they're mostly monochrome), so it's not a big downside in this case. But you tout 4k textures as your first and primary selling point and, frankly, they don't hold up to what you implicitly promise with those resolutions.

I mean look at this:

qj6NGLJ.jpg

This amount of pixelation and artefacting shouldn't hold up on an Arma 1 model, much less a 4096x4096 Arma 3 texture.

TL;DR: My problem is that it looks bad.

Good first release Pinaz for your version of the Typhoon.

However, there are some pretty serious texture issues with the model that you're using from Pook. First of all is the stretching due to the simple UV Mapping creating stretching of any complex camouflage, this is best shown as you probably know with the AAF texture. You may be using a 4k map, but it's too simple and has a lot of wasted space. You could more easily section the model with the UV maps to get rid of that stretching, which would also benefit you trying to have the small decals for emergency releases or any sort of normal mapping. This is also affecting the shadow map which has jagged edges and unusual sharp edges.

The aircraft's exhaust is also a little erh, simple and incorrect. If you want a good reference then follow the BI example for Jet exhaust. Don't worry about afterburners until the aircraft can perform without them, as in ArmA they tend to be a bit unnecessary. But the rotating triangle just looks completely out of place I'm afraid. Second point is the contrails, the double contrail for the canards and wing look silly and don't match how water vapour reacts with the actual aircraft. I would suggest removing the inner contrail and consider adding the water vapour from the vanilla aircraft to get closer to the real thing. Third and the final worst offender is the cockpit, which as the place where a pilot spends all their time is in a sorry state. And you've not mentioned fixing it at all which is what concerns me. The lack of the full instrument panel and how dark the HUD is makes it bland and unreadable in some darker lighting conditions. There are references to the additional panels which I can see were started on but really do need to be finished.

Finally the flight model doesn't really befit the Typhoon, as the aircraft feels sluggish and whilst you've given it a greater top speed it doesn't have the thrust that the Typhoon is renowned for. The Typhoon is designed for knife fighting and is one of the smaller Gen 4.5's with a good thrust to weight ratio given by the EJ200 engines. Normally this would mean it is able to perform high Angle-of-Attack manoeuvrers and get out of them. I would suggest pushing for that rather than increasing the speed further.

Because it looks like you could have used a much smaller texture with no visible downsides, not to mention the massive waste of space on those maps (though I realize you didn't make the model).

The bigger the texture, the more pixels are just wasted on empty space. Hell, you can still see the compression artefacts that makes the texture look like it came from a jpeg scaled up 4-8 times.

The size of the texture files themselves aren't big, it's true (I suspect because they're mostly monochrome), so it's not a big downside in this case. But you tout 4k textures as your first and primary selling point and, frankly, they don't hold up to what you implicitly promise with those resolutions.

I mean look at this:

qj6NGLJ.jpg

This amount of pixelation and artefacting shouldn't hold up on an Arma 1 model, much less a 4096x4096 Arma 3 texture.

TL;DR: My problem is that it looks bad.

Sorry but you have misunderstood the reason why I put the resolution, it was right to list the differences from the original... Which is not even a difference because I provided the same texture to the original... However I'm not a graphic, even remotely, I try to do the best I can with the abilities I have, I'm sorry that you do not like the work I've done, but it's something that I did as a hobby and I'm satisfied with the result:) I will try to do better the next time

• Like 2

However, there are some pretty serious texture issues with the model that you're using from Pook. First of all is the stretching due to the simple UV Mapping creating stretching of any complex camouflage, this is best shown as you probably know with the AAF texture. You may be using a 4k map, but it's too simple and has a lot of wasted space. You could more easily section the model with the UV maps to get rid of that stretching, which would also benefit you trying to have the small decals for emergency releases or any sort of normal mapping. This is also affecting the shadow map which has jagged edges and unusual sharp edges.

The aircraft's exhaust is also a little erh, simple and incorrect. If you want a good reference then follow the BI example for Jet exhaust. Don't worry about afterburners until the aircraft can perform without them, as in ArmA they tend to be a bit unnecessary. But the rotating triangle just looks completely out of place I'm afraid. Second point is the contrails, the double contrail for the canards and wing look silly and don't match how water vapour reacts with the actual aircraft. I would suggest removing the inner contrail and consider adding the water vapour from the vanilla aircraft to get closer to the real thing. Third and the final worst offender is the cockpit, which as the place where a pilot spends all their time is in a sorry state. And you've not mentioned fixing it at all which is what concerns me. The lack of the full instrument panel and how dark the HUD is makes it bland and unreadable in some darker lighting conditions. There are references to the additional panels which I can see were started on but really do need to be finished.

Finally the flight model doesn't really befit the Typhoon, as the aircraft feels sluggish and whilst you've given it a greater top speed it doesn't have the thrust that the Typhoon is renowned for. The Typhoon is designed for knife fighting and is one of the smaller Gen 4.5's with a good thrust to weight ratio given by the EJ200 engines. Normally this would mean it is able to perform high Angle-of-Attack manoeuvrers and get out of them. I would suggest pushing for that rather than increasing the speed further.

Hi, thank you for the feedback, the model isn't mine, and I simply try to improve an already done work, I think I will not be able to do a lot of things you listed, but maybe with some time I will try to do something! ;)

Since the POINT of my releasing the MLOD's was a community effort, you could contribute instead of criticize.  There are rough edges all over the place that need smoothing out!

• Like 5

As I pointed out in the original release this has much to be improved upon.  I leave it as a community effort as one person simply hasn't enough time to fully polish the cockpit.  Which sucks as-is and needs some TLC.  Again, even with 12 posts, you could contribute instead of criticize.

I'm liking those new OPFOR textures.  The "triangle" pattern especially.

• Like 1

I'm liking those new OPFOR textures.  The "triangle" pattern especially.

Thank you, the "triangle" pattern was just a last minute work, but I really like it too :)

As I pointed out in the original release this has much to be improved upon.  I leave it as a community effort as one person simply hasn't enough time to fully polish the cockpit.  Which sucks as-is and needs some TLC.  Again, even with 12 posts, you could contribute instead of criticize.

Unfortunately, releasing unbinerised versions of a model doesn't make you immune to criticism. In this case I was trying to point Pinaz towards the major issues with a suggested course of action that can normally be found by asking within the modding community either here or on Discord. I did not want to overload him with the smaller issues, nor make it out to seem that overall it is a bad release. But if he wishes to improve his abilities and the quality of the release, that was the suggested course of action.

Also, I don't appreciate you trying to highlight my post count as anything to do with this. As it and my time spent here do not correctly reflect myself and my knowledge on these matters. I do have my own work to be doing at the moment too.

I think you are to negative.

This Plane is really great, it does what is should for now and looks good while doing it.

Everything has space for improvement.

Making a Plane is in my Opinion one of the hardest things in Arma because of the Work that goes in to making the Cockpit etc.

• Like 5

Unfortunately, releasing unbinerised versions of a model doesn't make you immune to criticism. In this case I was trying to point Pinaz towards the major issues with a suggested course of action that can normally be found by asking within the modding community either here or on Discord. I did not want to overload him with the smaller issues, nor make it out to seem that overall it is a bad release. But if he wishes to improve his abilities and the quality of the release, that was the suggested course of action.

Also, I don't appreciate you trying to highlight my post count as anything to do with this. As it and my time spent here do not correctly reflect myself and my knowledge on these matters. I do have my own work to be doing at the moment too.

Wow. "immune to criticism" - that means you (and others) have completely missed the point.  I'm sorry you're misunderstanding the point of this discussion and I'm sorry to Pinaz for continuing this in his thread. 

Simply put, it is meant to be a group effort.  I never said it was a "completely ready to go and commercial-grade addon".  Perhaps I should have been more emphatic about that point.  I honestly considered not even making an addon but only releasing the MLOD's to begin with, however I knew people would bitch about that so I decided to make an addon using CUP.  Guess what they bitched about then :)  So my point to all of this is that the addon is as complete as I intend to make it, and instead of teasing for years on something that will never see the light of day, I elected to release it as-is and release the source so others can take the ball and run with it so to speak.  Which was my point - please I would welcome any effort to improve the cockpit, better the flight model, etc. etc. by anyone!

"COMMUNITY" here - free fun for all!  ;)

I'm shutting up now on this point - I congratulate Pinaz for doing better texture work as I have no skill in doing that... that is more of an art to me than a skill.  I'm glad to see it getting some love!  :D

• Like 5

Okay guys-this is getting a bit heated.Let's all relax. For a first release it is just fine.People release and learn-that's what it's all about. lets all stay calm and be helpful in our posts alright?

pinaz93-Good job,keep it up! :)

• Like 4

yeah it's lookin great

good job on the improvements!

I'm loving those CSAT skins, especially the desert version. Can't wait to see your future updates. Congrats on a first release.

Just a small issue I have come across, don't know if other people are getting this but the weapons have no sound. For me. Let me know if this is just an isolated issue. Other then that the mod is great!