Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Old Bear.

My english is not best but thanks for answer.

Thats your Old Bear minimum MP Requirements, if i will done it will be good or it will be REALY MINIMUM and i will stay with same problem?

I was talking in game with some player, he told he have about 70 fps , other one say he have 90 FPS, is it real and what i need to do?

i dont want spend money to change procssor and get same problem.

wich of this i5-2300 or Intel Core i5-3300 is better?

@ LvGuardian : have a look here, so you can get relative performances of i5 2300, i5 3330 and ... i5 4430 in Arma2:OA.

Of course Arma3 is not Arma2:OA, Real Virtuality Engine 4 is not RV3, but they are of the same brand & family.

IMG0041507.png

The screen is extracted from a "Intel Core i7-4770K et i5-4670K : Haswell en test" review all in French (Open at your own risk : French language inside!) on Hardware.fr

ATM the best choice, 'Minimum Old Bear MP Requirements' wise, will probably be an i5 4430 and a not too expensive Socket 1150 MoBo such as the MSI B85-G43/ Asus H87M-PLUS C2/ GigabyteGA-H87M-D3H.

Of course, with a rig built around such a CPU, you will get better performances than those you are getting with AMD Athlon II x3 425. But remember one thing, Arma 3 as all Arma* games is CPU dependent so to achieve the best performances you must get the better CPU, in this case an i7 4770K ... but it's money related ... and if you are on a budget you must take care of this aspect!

About "FPS boasting" : those guys telling you they are getting 70/90 FPS don't tell the full story !

Tonight, I have played with my game team on our dedicated server, a mission I had build in purpose for 25 players on Altis. All on the mission and server is tweaked to allow all the members of our team to play and enjoy the game, main parameters being a limitation to 2000 m for "visibility" and a downsizing of terrain grid. On my main rig "i7 3770/GTX670OC" I have played the mission at 35/45 FPS. Having finished the mission, we have played a "Corridor" CTF Mission, then I was getting at a constant 90/95 FPS ! Here "Visibility" is set to a minimum and terrain grid at max.

So you can understand that those high FPS rate are related to the environment the game is played in.

Edited by Old Bear

@ Rami : I think your current laptop is quite OK to play Arma3, tell us how you can play Showcases and Campaign aswell.

Of course, the "ASUS G750JX-T4035H" you are targeting is a better rig. You will probably enjoy Arma3 at a higher level on SinglePlayer, SP missions, Showcases and Campaign, but most of the issues you are getting in MP are not related to your hardware.

Some of the issues are related to the game itself :

- because of the very special way it manages MP, not being in the current "client/server" scheme (making you loose 5/10 FPS)

- some weird issues [cause unknown] causing FPS loss

Some of the issues are related to the server you are playing on :

- playing on a professional hosted/well managed server will be OK

- playing on a makeshift server made by a guy on an old PC will be a FPS black hole.

Some of the issues are related to the missions you are playing on the server :

- a well build mission, using well engineered scripts and features will run smoothly

- a incompetent hand tweaked mission with crappy scripts will be crap!

Hey!

Greatful for your reply!

I feel that showcases and campaign is playable on my current laptop! And editor aswell. And its alot smoother than how arma2 played on this laptop.

I tried Showcase - Combined Arms. Lowest fps 20, highest 38. Mostly stays around ~28fps

Campaign also ~28 fps!

Uhm, altis editor with 2x3 riflesquads, 2x2 tank platoon, 2x3 apc squads = 20 fps, ~15 when everyone start firing.

As long it stays over 20 fps it feels "okay" and is playable!

But online its just terrible, but online is pretty much my only interest. Missions with around 20-30 players and AI, such as invade and annex and warfare BE, I get around 4-8fps.

I tried playing on my own lan only-dedicated warfare BE server and I get around 25-30fps first hour or so, 4-8fps after a while when the AI have bought their vehicles and stuff.

When playing wasteland i usually have better fps on sa-matra wasteland servers. With 20 players online, ~30 fps. Gets below 20 fps if few people are in the same area. The higher population servers are pretty much unplayable, 4-8 fps or so.

And arma3 freezes alot when I get down to 4 fps, almost hangs up but never crashed.

I usually just want to play warfare be, sa-matra wasteland and some invade & annex.

Tried diffrent video settings and tweaks aswell!

I'd really like to be able to play online on Altis with at least 40 players when playing wasteland and still have playable framrates. Its a shame I can only fit a laptop where i currently live :/

The servers i try to play on are the same servers that I used to play on when I had my desktop. It ran real smooth, worse connection but the desktop is more powerful than my laptop.

You don't think I will notice much diffrence when playing online on the asus laptop, only singleplayer/campaign wise? I really don't know what to do :/

Sorry for the long response!

@ SS9 : in order to play Arma3 Singleplayer missions and Campaign, in order to have some fun with Editor, of course, you do need a better GPU.

One in the GTX 650 Ti Boost / HD 7790 - R9 260X range will be good enough.

But it's right you need a better CPU, for even if I believe that the i5 650 can pull a MP mission, there will be probably not enough margin.

@ Call_911 : I will remember you it can't be just a CPU upgrade, you must also get a socket 1150 MoBo ... , nevertheless, be ready to play an other game :cool:

@kiske1 : is this Ativ book 6 model really featuring a HD8870M ? I am asking because it seems that current Ativ book 6 is featuring HD8570M, not too good an asset game wise.

Sorry for the late reply... Yes the Ativ Book 6 features the 8870M.

Here's the specs:

http://www.samsung.com/it/business/business-products/notebook-pc/performance/NP670Z5E-X01IT-spec?subsubtype=series-6

(the link is in Italian)

should this run Arma fairly decently?

Unfortunately it will arive only next week...:(

Hi All,

Have had enough of Sony and The Console Game Industry,

Had a look and Arma 3 seems to be the Place to go!

Will need to get advice on getting a Gaming Pc for Arma 3

Hi All,

Have had enough of Sony and The Console Game Industry,

Had a look and Arma 3 seems to be the Place to go!

Will need to get advice on getting a Gaming Pc for Arma 3

Hey,

Welcome to the forums/community :)

What is your budget?

For those who say that you don't need super powerful GPU for Arma3 and gtx660 is enough (which was funny for me from beginning). With my 680gtx I've got fps drops because of GPU(sometimes), with I5 4670k, so no, even 680gtx is not >TOO< powerfull for arma3. Get as good GPU as you can. For me 680 is minimum...

Yeah, but if you have a modest gpu and it doesn't run well you can simply lower settings and it'll run fine, if your cpu is too slow there's no setting that'll solve that.

Hi thanks for the reply,

i was looking around the 600 GBP area have had a look at some Spec and have Identified:

Processor:

Intel Core i5 4670K Quad Core Retail CPU

(Socket 1150, 3.40GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I74770,

4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)

Graphics Card

Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost

Memory

Corsair Memory Vengeance Black 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ

Cpu Fan

Motherboard

MSI B85-G43/ Asus H87M-PLUS C2/ GigabyteGA-H87M-D3H

or

GA-H87N-WIFI, Mini ITX, Socket 1150, DDR3, Intel H87

Or off the peg

packard-bell-imedia-s2870-desktop-pc

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pc-monitors/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/packard-bell-imedia-s2870-desktop-pc-21656682-pdt.html

Not sure but this is my thoughts so far

Devo

@ kiske1 : if your "Ativ book 6" model is really featuring an Intel® Core™ i7 3635QM (@2,4 GHz/3,4 GHz) and an AMD Radeon HD 8870M, you can play games. The fact that the display is a 15,6" screen (1366 x 768) will help a lot in Arma3 to get good performances.

@ Devo : Welcome !

"Will need to get advice on getting a Gaming Pc for Arma 3" . Whoops, that a good question ! I will give you first some veteran hints.

- CPU : All previous Arma* games were "CPU dependent" , Arma3 is a full member of the family, in order to play and enjoy Arma3, you need a fast and powerful CPU [and having the best boost on one core], the best you can get.

At the moment, Intel CPU can do it well the only AMD is able to follow the FX- 8350, but the performances -Arma* wise- lag far behind.

So, it's i5/i7 [socket1155/1150] CPU recommended.

- Graphics card : Previous Arma* game were not so sensitive to GPU performances, Arma3 brings in a change! Now Arma 3 is also "GPU demanding".

I am sorry to say that GPU minimum specs are a "bad" joke. Of course, you can play having a 8800Gt or a HD 3830 [***!], but from my point of view a game must be enjoyable, playable is not enough. So a "good" DirectX® 11 GPU is needed. From my point of view, in the mid-range AMD cards are the best so HD 7790/R9 260X and HD 7870/R9 270X without hesitation. On the other side, nearing the top end, Nvidia cards are better at least for now, the GTX 770 is in my opinion at present time, the best compromise.

- RAM : 2/4 Go needed, in fact it's 8Go recommended that also means a mandatory Windows 7 64bit OS. This will help not to use the swap file.

- Drives : All Arma* games are displaying a large number of disk accesses, the fastest are those the less the risk of " stuttering "/ lagging textures. So a fast HD is needed and a SSD is the ideal tool.

So, if you get a look at "Minimum " official specs for the game, you must be wondering ... what I can get with those. I had made an attempt to answer the question in a small review : Arma3 'Minimum' specifications or ... . My own conclusions are, that at the moment, with a rig built along such specs, you can play in SP but MP will be unplayable. I must add that as I am still doing tests, I am wondering how 2nd part of the Campaign will be playable on Altis on this PC.

For your own "gaming safety" you must consider the official "Recommended" specs as MP minimum specs and from what I have said before, you can easily infer that my own recommended specs are a bit more high.

For those who say that you don't need super powerful GPU for Arma3 and gtx660 is enough (which was funny for me from beginning). With my 680gtx I've got fps drops because of GPU(sometimes), with I5 4670k, so no, even 680gtx is not >TOO< powerfull for arma3. Get as good GPU as you can. For me 680 is minimum...

the only advantage I have with my new R9 290 (before GTX570) is in dense forests on chernarus (AiA) WITHOUT Ai and when I zoom into 3 Smokegrenades. :p. The min. fps aren´t higher and depends only on cpu-power. As reference I have a test mission with 48 against 48 infantry scenario: same min fps with GTX 570 @ 940Mhz and R9 290 @ 1200Mhz.

Have to agree with JumpingHubert , spend all your money on CPU and save the your money from expensive GPUs.

As an example put your a soldier on an empty editor and yes ofcourse you will see great FPS. Now put your soldier in a mission with alot of AIs and guess what , you will still get the same FPS that you got with an older GPU.

I tested this mission with a gtx 570 and a gtx 680 and I had exactly same FPS with many AIs in quite intensive missions. Ofcourse you might raise your graphics from medium to high but the main point is that you can't enjoy massive battles regardless of GPU power.

Yes, you are both right about minimum fps(in most cases),but you know, not every mission is full of AI, and then (f.e. infantry showcase) GPU comes with help, for me it's big difference between for example 50 and 60fps.

@ Nikiforos : AI management is fully a muscle story CPU job. Having a good graphic card can help -FPS wise- because if you have one, some of the render can be done by GPU. For as you know, as a example, if you set Shadows on "Low", you are in fact telling your CPU to take care of shadows rendering because your GPU is a mess ... it will not help to get more FPS!

Edited by OldBear

@ SS9 : the i5 650 is not so bad [2 cores/4 threads, 3.2 GHz/3.46 GHz Turbo, 4 Mo L3 Cache] the only thing you need to enjoy Single player missions and Campaign as well is a decent GPU, for the GT430 with 1GB DDR3 is under minimum requirements, any HD 7750 you can find now at a bargain price can do the thing !

Of course, MP gaming tends to be a bit out of reach ...

Edited by OldBear

Long time lurker and Arma player here, my severely aged gaming pc has given its last breath so I'm on the market for a new one. I've never experienced Arma/Ofp on anything higher than medium settings, so I was wondering how this set up would perform with Arma 3;

Intel Core i5 3570K "Ivy Bridge" overclocked to up to 4.6GHz

Corsair H55 Water Cooling

Asus P8Z77-V LK Motherboard

16GB 1600MHZ DDR3 RAM

2 x Geforce GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB graphics cards in SLI configuration

120GB Samsung 840 Series SSD Drive

1000GB SATA Hard Disk

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Old Bear will review what you have said and have a re-think on spec / price.

but with Christmas on the horizon hope to be playing Arma 3 by the new year will call on your help,

when i have got my Santa list together.

Many thanks

Devo

@OcelotUnit : it will do good, I will just add some hints from my own experience

- Corsair H55 WaterCooling is probably under-sized with an 4.6Ghz overclocked CPU,

- 2 x Geforce GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB vs Geforce GTX 760, probably the same perfs with less side SLI side effects.

- 120GB Samsung 840 Series SSD Drive is a bit small for System + Steam library, I will suggest 256 GB as minimum or a 2nd SSD dedicated to Games Arma* -what else?- game.

Edited by OldBear
there is only one game

I am about to bite the bullet and say fairwell to my phenom II 965, i have my eyes on the 4770k, my GPU is a 7990 - open to any suggestions!

@ RAINF : i7 4770k is the best you can find so ... just add 8 Go RAM and a dedicated SSD for Arma3.

No need to have Windows7 on SSD for you only boot your PC once unless you are a "compulsive rebooter", but having a smoother no texture flickering Arma3 is just great.

HD 7990 is nice, stay on it !

Don't get a 7990, the 290 or 290X is a much better choice. Otherwise get a 780.

4770K is a decent cpu, but for games the 4670K is just as good.

7990 still has the old crossfire implemetation that doesn't compare to sli or crossfire with the new 290's or 290X's. I'd stay away from dualgpu cards like the 7990.

@ Leon86 : as RAINF wrote "my GPU is a 7990", I had assumed he was already owning this GPU.

I agree it's not the best choice at the moment, but if you own already one, there no reason to dump it.

Oh ok, yeah, makes sense, worst case you'll run a game without crossfire and still have 7970 levels of performance, which is fine for arma3.

Hi guys!

I've got this system:

Prozessor: Intel Core i7 3770K

Codename: Ivy Bridge

Architekt.: 1 CPU - 4 Kerne - 8 Threads

Revision: E1

Tech.: 0.0220 µ

F.M.S.: 6.A.9 - Ext. 6.3A

Instruct.: MMX SSE (1 2 3 3S 4.1 4.2) EM64T VT-x AES AVX

Socket: Socket 1155 LGA

CPU-Takt: 1596.46 MHz

Multiplik.: x16.00

FSB: 99.78 MHz

L1 Cache: Data: 4 x 32 / Inst: 4 x 32 KBytes

L2 Cache: 4 x 256 KBytes

L3 Cache: 8192 KBytes

Temperatur: Idle: 28°C, Last: 35°CKühler Vergleich

CPU-Z Vers.: 1.61.3

MainBoard: MS-7785

Northbridge: Intel Ivy Bridge rev 09

Southbridge: Intel Z77 rev 04

RAM: 4096 MB Nanya Technology (10700)

4096 MB Nanya Technology (10700)

Size: 8192 MB

Typ: DDR3-SDRAM Dual Channel

Timing: 9.0-9-9-24

RAM-Takt: 665.2 MHz

Ratio: 1:5

Grafikkarte: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Chipsatz: Juniper

Tech.: 40 nm

RAM: 1024 MB GDDR5

RAM-Takt: 1200 MHz (1200 MHz)

Width: 128 bit

Bandwith: 76.8 GB/s

Core-Takt: 850 MHz (850 MHz)

Shaders: 800 (DX 11.0)

Fillrate: 13.6 GPixel/s | 34.0 GTexel/s

Bus: PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x16 2.0

Treiber, Ver.: 9.12.0.0 (Catalyst 13.1) / Win7 64

GPU-Z Vers.: GPU-Z 0.6.9

Can't paste the link to sysProfile correctly (first post), take a look at this: sysprofile. de / id180142

I am able to play ArmA 3 actually on high with around 20-25 FPS. What do I think may get improved to get the best results? Graphics Card, CPU, HDD, etc.?

Thanks for help!

Regards, Flo