Sign in to follow this  
Jester983

What goes through your mind

I've been shot at a couple of times. First time was actually in Sweden in a classroom at the base. A captain that was demonstrating weapons safety accidentally discharged a 9mm Glock. A guy was hit by the ricochet in the thigh. The officer in question was fired from the military. Nobody in the clasroom reacted in any way, just froze (well, except from the guy that got hit).

Second time was in Kosovo near the town of Zvecan in a french APC. We got hit by some automatic fire from a machine gun or assault rifle. When you are cramped inside the APC there is very little you could do. The biggest problem was an American reporter and a female UN FAO representative that were on board. After the shooting the reporter vomited all over the APC and the UN chick started hyper-ventilating and passed out.

Third time was more scary. In a village outside Prizren I, some of my team memebers and a couple of locals got shot at by a sniper. One of the locals got hit in the chest. We dragged him behind a building and stayed there. We knew exactly where the sniper was since we had seen the muzzle flash from a large residential building near our position. While running for cover I got off a few rounds but quickly then decided against it. We were very lightly armed (one mp5 plus a couple of handguns) and the proability of hitting another window in the building was very high and could have resulted in collateral damage. So we stayed behind the building and called in for help. During that time I was very very angry and wanted to go out and get the sniper. Fortunately I was also feeling very reluctant to moving away from our secure position. About 10 minutes later an ambulance and a leopard tank came to our rescue. The sniper was long gone and the local guy that got shot was dead already. I remember very little of what I was thinking but the whole thing was total adrenaline overload with everything that goes with that.

Fourth time I shot myself in the leg (also in Kosovo) with a 9mm CZ-99 . It hurt.

Denoir, I'm just interested, but which country's military are you in, and what conflicts were you involved in?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What goes through your mind, When you are getting shot at...<span id='postcolor'>

Hopefully, not a bullet.

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Oct. 21 2002,20:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Denoir, I'm just interested, but which country's military are you in, and what conflicts were you involved in?<span id='postcolor'>

Swedish military (in the reserves now). In the spring of 2001 I was for six months in Kosovo where I was on a team that produced a SKIE (Special KFOR Intelligence Estimate) on the Serb military capabilities before and after operation Allied Force). So I wasn't there with SweBat but directly under COMKFOR.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Oct. 21 2002,19:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Fourth time I shot myself in the leg (also in Kosovo) with a 9mm CZ-99 . It hurt.<span id='postcolor'>

K... and how did you do that?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Oct. 21 2002,19:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Fourth time I shot myself in the leg (also in Kosovo) with a 9mm CZ-99 . It hurt.<span id='postcolor'>

You're in Military Intelligence arent you? biggrin.gif

Wah-ha smile.gif

The closest I've come to being shot at was while hunting. Heard a gun go off, looked up and it was in the hands of one of our 'friends' who had been fiddling with his rifle and managed to accidentally discharge it. No one is sure where it was pointed other than towards me... It was about 15 seconds of sheer terror, and then they had to stop me from pounding the guy to a pulp biggrin.gif

I have never been in a combat experiance, nor do I wish to be in one.

To be honest, the first thing I would do is drop. Face first in the dirt or behind some sort of cover. Surrounded or not, it would be the first impulse in my mind.

What I would think? Probobly along the lines of: How the feck did I get in this shit in the first place?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Necromancer- @ Oct. 21 2002,21:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Oct. 21 2002,19:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Fourth time I shot myself in the leg (also in Kosovo) with a 9mm CZ-99 . It hurt.<span id='postcolor'>

K... and how did you do that?<span id='postcolor'>

I blame the Germans biggrin.gif

Actually what happened is that a German soldier showed me his newly obtained CZ-99. When he handed it to me he checked the chamber poorly and didn't remove the round that was in it. I didn't check it either so I accidentally fired a round on a wall. The ricochet hit me in the left leg, just below the knee. Luckily I got away with just a flesh wound. A couple of cm higher and I could have messed up my knee.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 21 2002,21:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Can we see the scar please?  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry to disappoint you but no real scar. Just a slight discoloration smile.gif

scar.jpg

I thought explicit images were not alloweed on this forum... tounge.gif j/k

You are lucky, if that hit your knee..... damn.

Yeah, just blame it always on the germans. He probably thought you are real soldier who knows that a gun should never points towards a bodypart tounge.gif Just kiddin!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Oct. 21 2002,18:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the first time i heard bullets crashing on the apc's armor , i was like "WTF ?!?!? GET THE FUCKER , WE GOT AND HMG ON OUR ROOF" smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Second time was in Kosovo near the town of Zvecan in a french APC. <span id='postcolor'>

Lol remind me never to travel in a french APC. Seems like those things are bullet magnets smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ Oct. 21 2002,00:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is for the people that have actually been in some RL battle.

What i want to know is: what goes through your head when you're getting shot at? Are you scared? and does politics and all that shit go right out the window?<span id='postcolor'>

I assume it gives you a knotted feeling in your gut when you drive through a war-ravaged city and positively nobody is on the street but your car.

in case you should have to get out for some reason you might feel very much, (extremely!wink.gif, alive, and you would like to keep it that way.

at the same time you might seriously think about God and how little you know about dying.

actually, all kinds of archaic emotions might rummage around deep in your inner being, without you being able to articulate them at the time.

on the other hand hearing the little sonic boomlet of a live bullet zipping by might, at the moment, agitate you less than you think. you might not take it serious. that is, until somebody next to you goes down.

you'll have "seen the elephant." you might never be the same afterwards.

but who am I to know?

I don't know what would go through my mind during combat, but when i get into a fight i always get extremely angry and lose control of myself sad.gif . For example in august i was drunk with 3 friends and a bunch of guys attacked us because we were from other part of the city. The guys attacked one of my friends with one of that tear gas sprays, he fell to the ground and 2 of them started kicking him. I went mad, broke a whiskey bottle on the head of one of that fuckers, and then started punching and kicking that guy until he was senseless. The guy ended that night in the hospital. Luckily i didn't have any other weapons that night, or i would have killed him. sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Oct. 20 2002,22:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ Oct. 20 2002,18:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is for the people that have actually been in some RL battle.

What i want to know is: what goes through your head when you're getting shot at? Are you scared? and does politics and all that shit go right out the window?<span id='postcolor'>

You should specify armed or un-armed?  Any body armor?<span id='postcolor'>

RL stands for Real life. So yes i was sort of looking for real life experiences but its fine if you havent been in a conflict. Just trying to get you guys to think "hey, you cant pause life and respawn. You only get one chance"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">French APCs seem like bullet magnets<span id='postcolor'>

Just to let ya know all APC are bullet magnets. Especially Hummers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Oct. 21 2002,21:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 21 2002,21:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Can we see the scar please?  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry to disappoint you but no real scar. Just a slight discoloration smile.gif

http://213.100.38.66/ofp/scar.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

With legs that pale you could almost pass for English wink.gif

My legs are so white they could be Michael Jackson's. tounge.gif Im not out in the sun alot, and I am from North Texas, so I like my blue-jeans. I hate shorts, and only wear them when I run, which is not anymore becuase I am to lazy.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ Oct. 22 2002,00:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">French APCs seem like bullet magnets<span id='postcolor'>

Just to let ya know all APC are bullet magnets. Especially Hummers.<span id='postcolor'>

I know. I was joking smile.gif. Just seems funny that the two people here who have been shot at in a combat situation were in a french APC. Especially since they're not both french.

my faculty in switzerland had its own solarium-studio and we were only arround 1000 students! Solarium may be for bodybuilders but after studying for half a year all night long you got to go there otherwise you look like a vampire and wont get into any night-club (except the ones for goths)  tounge.gif Are goths so pale because they study all night long?

EDIT: RalphWiggum: word choice

Everything except my arms and face is white as snow, it's sick. LOL

The only time I've been shot at, is in paintball. It's a horrible experience whether real or for fun. Got a guy right between the eyes though, THAT was fun. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Oct. 22 2002,04:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The only time I've been shot at, is in paintball.  It's a horrible experience whether real or for fun.  Got a guy right between the eyes though, THAT was fun.  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I don't think you can call getting hit by a paintball horrible. Not unless you get shot you-know-where or you have a very low pain threshold. I'll say one thing though, getting shot at close range when you're not expecting it is a pretty intense feeling.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ Oct. 21 2002,18:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Oct. 20 2002,22:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ Oct. 20 2002,18:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is for the people that have actually been in some RL battle.

You should specify armed or un-armed? Any body armor?<span id='postcolor'>

RL stands for Real life. So yes i was sort of looking for real life experiences but its fine if you havent been in a conflict. Just trying to get you guys to think "hey, you cant pause life and respawn. You only get one chance"<span id='postcolor'>

Ehh, no I meant... different reaction when you are armed and in combat than when you are some by stander in a driveby shooting.

So I thought you wanted the response of ppl who were in battles and were armed, not just caught off guard with dick shit. If you are un-armed, you know what to do.

RL

what would go through my mind when i'm fired upon?

'Miss Hoover, I think the bees are flying supersonic...'

/note to self: for maximum result, use CZ 99 to ambush denoir, not .22 Ruger.