Sign in to follow this  
Jester983

What goes through your mind

This is for the people that have actually been in some RL battle.

What i want to know is: what goes through your head when you're getting shot at? Are you scared? and does politics and all that shit go right out the window?

I would probably pee into my pants and think: hell this is going too fast...I need time...give me time....hell that noise confuses me...I cant think....what shall I do....only the best die young...so I...probably have the best chance to get out here alive....where is my gun....I shoot into the air..so at least everyone thinks I am fighting too...damn my gun..where did I leave my goddam gun...oh there it is ...no...the other way around...so where are they shooting from...I bet if I raise my head now the first bullet will..hit me... where is my chain of command..I need instructions...I need orientation....fuck that helmet..I cant see,..did they start or did we start...how many are there...got hell I hope that it remains only gunfire... tounge.gif

Don't know about getting shot at but whenever I've been in a fight, not much has gone through my head except to get the bastard down before he gets me down. Other than that it's all adrenaline.

Yes you are scared. No matter if a kid shoots at you or a technical fires a few rounds at you. But the longer you are in an area of "war" the more you get used to it. The human nature is very adjustable to some things. Political reasons are nothing you think about in such situations. It comes to the basic things. The struggle for life. Afterwards there are thoughts on the motivations and certainly you sometimes feel a bit abused for money reasons.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Oct. 21 2002,01:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't know about getting shot at but whenever I've been in a fight, not much has gone through my head except to get the bastard down before he gets me down. Other than that it's all adrenaline.<span id='postcolor'>

You are underestimating the behaviour a human shows once he finds himself loosing control of situation and feeling the power and hearing the sound of machinegun bullets hitting the ground next to him.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Oct. 21 2002,01:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Oct. 21 2002,01:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't know about getting shot at but whenever I've been in a fight, not much has gone through my head except to get the bastard down before he gets me down. Other than that it's all adrenaline.<span id='postcolor'>

You are underestimating the behaviour a human shows once he finds himself loosing control of situation and feeling the power and hearing the sound of machinegun bullets hitting the ground next to him.<span id='postcolor'>

And I think you're overestimating the amount of time you have to think in such situations smile.gif. For one I know the feeling of loosing control of a situation and having a sharp rock swung at my face. What was I thinking at that point? Hell if I know.

Is it possible that us hardened gamers are relitivly desencitized to that kind of thing. Maybe we would be able to stay calm and cool, because we don't really realize that in real life, you can't "load your game". I could see that happen to me maybe, often unable to determine real life from VR.

for me... when im really scared or excited and i get a load of adrenaline... not serious stuff like getting shot at, but football games or right before falling off of a bike, my mind seems to slow things down for me and my body is able to react more quickly... i hope if i'm ever shot at i keep my cool like that

I have never been in a war, but I have been in some pretty bad fights(knives, bats, etc..., friends going to reconstructive surgery). There are 2 things in my head evreytime... KILL!!! and oh shit i dont want to die.

of course there are variations, like... that bastard broke my nose, shit tomorrows friday Im not getting laid now.... and holy crap Carl just got jacked.

I think what would be going threw my head in a real war is hide, run and hide under a Bush.... yup.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Oct. 21 2002,03:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you seem to have simple goals in live: fight and get laid. I go for more!<span id='postcolor'>

Do you really believe that if someone was shooting at you you'd be analyzing your goals in life? We're just discussing a sudden violent situation...and in that case your #1 goal would most likely be to get out of it in one piece, or to make sure the oposing guy gets it worse than you do.

Tovarish, as a German I have heard so many stories about the war and there has been little DukeNukem and Hollywood glorification in it. And I learned that Beta Endorphin can sometimes be stronger than Adrenaline. In contrast to adrenaline the Beta endorphin paralyses....lets not hope we get into this situation...but if you are realy fearing for your life in a battle than dont be surprised if you miss the first minutes because you cant move... I dont know how I would behave but I would be careful to promise beforehand that I will be a NBK (natural born killer). Cause the chance that you are not is quite a lot bigger.

I'd be frantically trying to remember if I'd put clean underwear on that morning, also whether or not I'd turned the stove off before I left the flat smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Oct. 21 2002,03:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Tovarish, as a German I have heard so many stories about the war and there has been little DukeNukem and Hollywood glorification in it. And I learned that Beta Endorphin can sometimes be stronger than Adrenaline. In contrast to adrenaline the Beta endorphin paralyses....lets not hope we get into this situation...but if you are realy fearing for your life in a battle than dont be surprised if you miss the first minutes because you cant move... I dont know how I would behave but I would be careful to promise beforehand that you will be a NBK (natural born killer)<span id='postcolor'>

I agree with you on that, I'm not saying that you'd automatically know what to do and be able to defend yourself. All I'm saying is that in such a situation, rational thought mostly takes a backseat to reflex. Unless you've been trained to handle such stress or you have previous experience, you're likely not going to be thinking much about what you're doing, but mostly acting out of reflex, or like you've just described, not being able to act effectively at all. BTW, when I had that rock swung at my face...I was 10 years old, and I was in the middle of a fight with another kid - can't even remember what it was about. How did I react? I closed my eyes. Not very rational smile.gif

I have to agree with both. Albert and towarish.

Albert you are right, there is panic and that leads to the things towarish describes. Panic can be a dangerouse thing if you have a rifle or sit in a tank turret.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 21 2002,03:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd be frantically trying to remember if I'd put clean underwear on that morning, also whether or not I'd turned the stove off before I left the flat smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I am happy I am not the only one with that phobie. I am constantly afraid that I left the iron on. tounge.gif And in basically 1 of 23545355464654654 cases this happens. BUT I AM STILL AFRAID! tounge.gif

Worst part is I sold my stove in 1997 for Å5 smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 20 2002,06:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd be frantically trying to remember if I'd put clean underwear on that morning, also whether or not I'd turned the stove off before I left the flat smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I could just imagine it. Placebo fire your weapon dammit! Placebo: "im sorry sir but im just trying to figure out if i left the stove on before i left."

wink.gif

Just like most of you guys I too would piss my pants most likely. But like Balschoiw

said you would adapt better after going through it multiple times.

So I'm a noobie to this community. But here is my opinion on yet another thing I have no experience in.

I have never been to war or really shot at. I have been nearly drowned twice. Once when my wife was stuck in a riptide and dunked me when I went to rescue her. Once when I was sailing a small boat, checking out the chicks in bikinis, and ...wham! The boom hits me in the forehead, stunning me, and boat capsizes on top of me. Both times the first thing that came into my head was how stupid I was getting myself into this situation. Simultaneously, I appreciated the phosphorus lights that appeared in my vision. Then I <felt> that I was watching myself. I was not watching myself, but I felt that way. Then I just thought very calmly, yet quickly, what I had to do to get out of the situation. When my wife dunked me, I grabbed her underwater and spinned her around so she could'nt dunk me again. When I was under the boat, I swam down out from under the sail and rigging, then away.

I heard other people sometimes get a weird calm come over them after they get into dangerous situations. I just wish that I could pay attention more so I would not get into those situations in the first place.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (skibei_neko @ Oct. 21 2002,08:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I just wish that I could pay attention more so I would not get into those situations in the first place.<span id='postcolor'>

Well said, could'nt agree more smile.gif

I really can't even guess what will go through my mind "when the shit hits the fan". I have no clue and preferably I'm not going to find out smile.gif

I'm average at handguns and rifles, but that as far as I know don't mean a single thing in war. I would prolly miss the long side of a barn at point blank smile.gif

Im pretty sure I would react like with any other "dangerous" situation.... Act first - maybe run, maybe hide... think later. That is why sometimes when you have been exposed to some weird and shocking experience, ya legs shake afterwards... not while you are at it.

from what i've read , nobody has real military experience here ?

i've been shot at several times by mortars , snipers , light weapons ....

mainly during my first trip in bosnia

the first time i heard bullets crashing on the apc's armor , i was like "WTF ?!?!? GET THE FUCKER , WE GOT AND HMG ON OUR ROOF" smile.gif

the first time i've been in a mortar (light) bombing , i wanted to go rambo to seek the mortar team, the other more experienced guysheld me back and shouted me to stay behind the sandbags

the first time i've experienced sniper fire (while not in a vehicle) the two things i did were : praying and obeying to my leader's orders without thinking about anythingelse than what i was doing atm , and you can believe me , you don't have the time to think about anything else than the way to get out of here alive

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ Oct. 20 2002,18:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is for the people that have actually been in some RL battle.

What i want to know is: what goes through your head when you're getting shot at? Are you scared? and does politics and all that shit go right out the window?<span id='postcolor'>

You should specify armed or un-armed? Any body armor?