digitalcenturion

[WIP] The Lost Coast 30x30km terrain (preview version included)

Regarding the A2 objects they are the same regardless wether it is A3MP, AIA TP or eventually CUP that will provide them for A3. Ie they just point to certain 3d objects with a certain path.

The vibe is going to be balkan, but it is obviously based on Finnish terrain. The generic feel is going to be distinctly eastern, yet not necessary one certain place or city. A good example of this is the world of Half Life 2: references from here and there but hard to pinpoint exactly what it is supposed to be, yet it feels real.

A good example of this is the world of Half Life 2: references from here and there but hard to pinpoint exactly what it is supposed to be, yet it feels real.

I like this idea! :D

I'm (slowly) learning to model architecture for my Suomenlinna-map and I might take a stab at the two bigger bridges you posted. They seem simple enough model-wise and even if you end up not using them, I can always use them myself :)

Thanks, sorry for the late reply. That would be absolutely great! Yeah the models are not complicated in themselves. And they could even be made into one or two types of general bridge. Anyways, thanks a lot!

Edited by DigitalCenturion
qoute

Thanks, sorry for the late reply. That would be absolutely great! Yeah the models are not complicated in themselves. And they could even be made into one or two types of general bridge. Anyways, thanks a lot!

Not a problem. I'm close to wrapping up my current project for now and will get started on these right after I do. I had a quick fly-around your map the other day and while that's quite some roads, I can't really see how it would affect performance that much so I hope they'll look after that ticket you made or at least explain what's going on.

I haven't gotten around to making the ticket yet :) But, maybe the game keeps the entire road network in memory at the same time and when enough units do pathfinding it comes crashing down. Or perhaps (hopefully) it's just a bug the devs haven't noticed yet because altis ís nowhere near that limit.

DigitalCenturion please don't give up , this map got huge potential to be one of the best maps ever.

Oh no worries about that, I don't know when to stop :P

I am currently making the best of a 6hrs ferry ride to select what roads to keep and what to ditch... I think I can squeeze most roads of imporantce in the 1400 road part budget :) Currently at just over 1000 but I have the entire city and all the main roads, so the dirt paths will fit nicely in the remainder. A lot of shorter stumps will be absent of course but it may be just as well regarding the AI. Then I hope to be once and for all done with the road network :)

Ok Now I have selected a road network consisting of 1435 road path networks, spanning 1328km. It is quite a reduction from the previous but if the gameplay is smoother as a result I think it is worth it. A lot of the paths in my original network are more or less useless small stumps etc. This means that I am one step further from a 1:1 world, so I am glad I decided to only loosely base my terrain on the RL location.

Added some city buildings today, the blocks are pretty generic so far but I aim to iteratively add more detail to the city as soon as I have a generic cover of buildings. So far performance is good still, and I think it looks still even with this generic placement and wrong ground textures etc

2015_03_04_00001.jpg

2015_03_04_00003.jpg

2015_03_04_00004.jpg

2015_03_04_00006.jpg

2015_03_04_00009.jpg

Looks really good DigitalCenturion

Yeah it does, the only thing that I hoped for was more modern buildings.

However it's DigitalCenturion's map and his decision :)

I really love how the Arma2 buildings look on this terrain, looking forward to seeing more of this!

This map scream after tank battles! :)

Heh yeah the large rolling fields in the north will be good venues for tank battles for sure :)

Thanks!

Yeah it does, the only thing that I hoped for was more modern buildings.

However it's DigitalCenturion's map and his decision :)

The part you are seeing now is the main city core with 19th century architechture, to the NW is the medieval city with smaller houses and less spacious streets, and outside of this will be more modern suburbs, industrial and commercial areas. I wish there were more modern building types avaliable, though.

I really love how the Arma2 buildings look on this terrain, looking forward to seeing more of this!

Thanks, I like how to look turned out, it's very City 17-esque :)

Still plenty of time to get in on the fun placing buildings, *wink wink*

I think I will post the next public preview on friday, next week I will be enjoying some R&R on Madeira so no progress then.

Hello, is a map very liked, and when will it be updating ? a map is smeared am a failure to complete we wait updating, I from Russia use a translator, it would be desirable to see on a map the modern houses of height, thank you, I wait an answer...: Ура:: Ура:: Ура:

I will update update my map tomorrow, and the city will feature suburban areas with high-rise buildings too. I will show screenshots later today. Glad you like the map BTW!

i will update update my map tomorrow, and the city will feature suburban areas with high-rise buildings too. I will show screenshots later today. Glad you like the map btw!

we long searched good map for rpg of server we try on your map to create server first in russia of рп with ващей i ask map, at creation of map to drop attention for possibility to create on her rpg of server but not only sand-box, with kind regards Sasha ...

Edited by KRASAVHIK

Hello Sasha, I am not sure I understood that?

Here are some further pics of the city, with the last one showing the medieval quarters which has much narrower streets

2015_03_05_00002.jpg

2015_03_05_00004.jpg

2015_03_05_00005.jpg

Nice screens! It's amazing the results you can get by mixing A2 & A3 buildings. ;)

Hello of DigitalCenturion .We try to create Arma3 Laif would like to see on a map sky-scrapers, high houses, my Skype of sasha210685,I will be glad to associate

You are a genius Digital...nice work!

Thanks MD!

A random countryside screenie and a shot of how far along the city is right now.. This is about 20% of the city area, the densest mind you.

2015_03_06_00006.jpg

2015_03_06_00011.jpg