digitalcenturion

[WIP] The Lost Coast 30x30km terrain (preview version included)

Looks realy nice. I like this project :)

Silola

DigitalCenturion We are looking forward to when you uploaded your project today? very very forward :yay: good work!!!

---------- Post added at 14:11 ---------- Previous post was at 14:07 ----------

we are doing a project of your card ! Arma 3 life THE LOST COAST! look forward to today's update

Updated alpha release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. Soon we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thx but aware that AiA TP is no longer supported, all bugs from upcoming Arma3 patches wont be solved. I know there is no alternative atm, very sad. There are not very good western buildings atm in arma3, but i suggest not to use too many arma2 buildings that are not enterable. They have better layouts then these southern buildings but ruine just the feeling with the bad textures/Ai waypoints. Hope someone will make quality stuff like MBG Buildings for arma2.

i suggest not to use too many arma2 buildings that are not enterable.

I might be wrong, but I think enterable buildings are more demanding performance-wise than the non-enterable ones. Given the size of some of the cities on this map I really don't mind if some of them are not open.

It would be desirable what all houses were opened at home with doors are , I think that it is time to leave from texture houses however in fact more interesting when at home it is possible to entrance

Edited by KRASAVHIK

I might be wrong, but I think enterable buildings are more demanding performance-wise than the non-enterable ones. Given the size of some of the cities on this map I really don't mind if some of them are not open.

Take a look at the city, it looks like mindcraft. Perhaps its a placeholder, i dont know. This is no critism, its 0.2. The island looks good as it is, already done good tree placement but the city layout with lego houses will destroy the complete feeling, there is no imersion if you walk trought this 2D block houses. Its not only about "open" houses, players want windows, doors, highres textures, stairs, rooms. I want to feel im in a city, a real city. I would love to see a big city for the first time in arma3 ;)

perhaps take a look @ http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?186904-X-Cam-prototype-map-1-0-released

Performance is bad but as an example for details and immersion its great.

Edited by Numrollen

I want to feel im in a city, a real city. I would love to see a big city for the first time in arma3 ;)

Sadly, 1:1 cities are not really possible : the number of objects would simply put most computers on their knees.

Just look at the bad performances in Kavala & Pyrgos on Altis : those locations can quickly become unplayable if you spawn too much AI (Have you noticed that none of the game stock missions take place in those cities?).

A good example is the Fallujah map : eventhough it was made for Arma2, the author chose to use A1 buildings in order to keep a playable framerate.

DigitalCenturion Good day to you, could you add in the next update of the airports? yours truly ....

Sadly, 1:1 cities are not really possible : the number of objects would simply put most computers on their knees.

Just look at the bad performances in Kavala & Pyrgos on Altis : those locations can quickly become unplayable if you spawn too much AI (Have you noticed that none of the game stock missions take place in those cities?).

A good example is the Fallujah map : eventhough it was made for Arma2, the author chose to use A1 buildings in order to keep a playable framerate.

Just a question of performance, view distance and object distance. No need for 3000 object distance if your fighting in the city. Take 1000 VD and your fine even with 100 ai.

Yeah well, ideally you shouldn't have to change the view distance when going in towns & cities. ^^'

Modders as well as players should be aware of (and accept) the limits of the game engine. Anyway, there's already plenty of topics on the matter; let's try not to go HS. ;)

From a map makers perspective we work with what is avaliable, not with what would be ideally best from every possible standpoint. I elected to use the A2 houseblocks because they are 1) avaliable and 2) the right style for the city. Furthermore, they are great because we have access to the source models through the sample model packs, so if some industrious modder or modeler at a later date would like to "open up" these buildings they can be retrofitted into the map just like that. Besides, if you play a game like GTA whose sole purpose is to model a large city, there are few enterable buildings.

Yes, the city is a bit of a minecraft city right now, it is more of a concept than a finished project. I will continue in iterations to add more clutter etc to make it seem real, I am fully aware of the shortcomings of it right now. This is a public alpha, people :)

Numrollen are you suggesting you want bad performance? :)

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 ----------

DigitalCenturion Good day to you, could you add in the next update of the airports? yours truly ....

Yeah airports are planned, I will use the large lake east of the main city.. Perhaps secondary dirt strip airfields on the fields. Maybe not for the next version though, depends.

Hope you didnt get me wrong, i know its version 0.2 (alpha, beta, gamma, you can name it what you want). Just about your plans in the future i bring in my ideas. And yes, i dont care about less fps if the city looks much much better. If you look only at the fps it wont get played so often. Players look for a map that looks good on the first place, then on the layout, the size, the options mission makers have and then they thing about the performance. Look at bornholm, performance is also not good but its played often. Some parts are really nice made but sadly some parts are not good, so our clan didnt play it at the actual state. We have other point we need for our missions like 2-3 good placed and builded military areas and on bornholm its just some military random clutter stuff, not good placed and build. Its not only about the houses itself, its about all the detail when you walk around.

here, a Arma2 map, very nice details and good performance. http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18147

I really like the idea of a nearly 1:1 map because we dont have this bumby waveterrain. Look @ Schwemlitz, nice flat terrain like it normally is. We dont have hills with 60° slope and there is open terrain. Yes it is possible that there is a 1km² spot is without trees and stones ;)

When i talk about the x-cam demo map i postet the link above, i mean with "bad" performance that i just have 50fps, on normal maps i get 60-70 and on mindcraft maps i have 80. With the right View Distance settings i can play on every map with good performance. Infantry i take max. 2km view distance, on vehicles 3-5km, on air about 3-8km and it work.

Edited by Numrollen

Can't wait to do some good missions on this, keep up the good work:)

Spiker since I will be away for a week starting today it will probably be 2 weeks or more until next version.

The good news is that no less than two people have offered to help me with object placement! Meaning progress will be made even as I enjoy some r&r :) So a big thanks to Foxone and Belgiumhell!

Numrollen no offence taken I do intend to have a very realistic object placement once this is done, but that will take time of course. The best way to ensure quality is to get in on the action yourself ;)

I am back and hit the ground rolling, so to speak. Here are some countryside shots for a change! A big thanks to my helpful friends for placing objects!!

2015_03_19_00001.jpg

2015_03_19_00003.jpg

2015_03_19_00005.jpg

2015_03_19_00007.jpg

2015_03_19_00008.jpg

They look really good DigitalCenturion, nicely placed :)

Fascinating mood you have created in these preview shots. I'm already getting ideas for missions on this map!

I will be following the development of this. Looks like it'll turn into a great terrain with some time :)

This is single handedly the best island for air combat . Now with the airport it gets even better.