Sign in to follow this  
Ice9

Thank you Tonic. ArmA3 is now a casual game.

To me, these statistic show more that the majority of the player base rather plays the 'other' game modes than the traditional military themed ones. :p

In fact you are completely wrong. That statistic only shows that most of MP servers are based in 'other' game modes than the traditional military themed ones.

There's a big amount of players who only play SP, after all the OFP/Arma series was first and foremost a SP game, that only got important numbers in MP due to DayZ and now all these non-military modes.

On the other hand, for me it's 100% fine if someone wants to role-play that he is a firefighter, a fisherman or a potato farmer... if they have fun that way and don't bother me, why not? As if they want to role-play that they are earth worms. After all the main point of these games is it's versatility.

I personally only play MP with my simulation group, because there's no appealing MP military mode that can be played in pub servers.

I think you don't understand what I'm saying. Altis life or others mods, I don't care, I don't hate them, I don't love them, I don't care. If someone want to fish or eat a peach, I don't care. It is his life.

There are just not traditional servers anymore, or really few. That's the point. It is just a fact.

Edited by Ice9

Yes I get it. But I think you don't get mine.

I think that the real issue at hand isn' t that there are so many people/servers playing "Life", "Wasteland",...etc per se, but rather that there are so many people playing "Life","Wasteland", etc game modes COMPARED to the number of people/players playing classic Arma.

Because, as has been said before numerous times in this thread, if someones wants to make a life mod he can, and if players want to play it they can, this is the beauty of Arma' s modding, nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. It is rather the proportion between the two that is disturbing many players.

And i believe that the reason is that quite a few Arma2 players were disgusted by Arma3 and didn' t make the transition, because let' s be honest, i know that this has been debated to death here but BIS themselves casualized the game, and thus made the bed for all these game modes.

A prime example is one of the two issues that are in my signature, the one about the impossibility to hold breath without looking through the sights in Arma3 while it was possible in Arma2. Since i never play with the crosshairs, i saw absolutely no reason why it was possible in arma 2 and not in Arma3. And then i played at a friend' s house, and he had the crosshair on, and i realized why it wasn' t possible in Arma3 anymore: Because with Arma3' s arcade crosshair, if it was possible to hold breath without looking through the sights, all the arcade gamers would never have to use their' s weapons sights up to at least 200-300 meters, and could basically play the game as if it was Counter Strike.

The thing is, as an avid gamer of OFP, Arma2 and Arma3, (Missed Arma because my computer couldn' t run it at the time and i couldn' t afford a new one back then), while i now understand the reasoning behind the impossibility to hold breath without looking through the sights, i still don' t accept it. I want to be able to hold breath without looking through the sights in order to properly use the IR lasers at night and if that' s inconvenient for the life players because they' re playing with the crosshairs on and thus this would effectively render sights useless for them i' m sorry but i don' t care.

If they still want usefullness to having sights on their weapons, here' s an idea: Turn off the crosshairs in the server difficulty settings, or start an issue on the issue tracker asking to revert back to the Arma2 style crosshairs, that didn' t permit to shoot as accurately using the crosshairs, holding breath or not, as it is now.

But it is not up to bis to think about what these type of players might need or not or what is best suited for them, as a fan since ofp and a "milsim" gamer i think that bis should first of all think of making the game as good as possible for people playing the game this way, and if it fits the ones who like to play life type games then great if it doesn' t then too bad.

So to sum it up OP, i generally agree with your point, but i think that you' re looking at the wrong target: we can' t blame modders for making the mods that they want, it is the beauty of the game' s modding capability: Who doesn' t love the ROFLCOPTER from OFP? And that' s definitely not milsim.

The fault is instead in bis hands, having casualized the game in both very obvious ways (Who likes shooting 2035 bug headed iranians in armored clothes with plastic guns, that take something like 7 shots to down them? almost nobody. A lot more people from the previous titles would be playing classic Arma3 if we had a more classic setting shooting comtemporary ennemies with classic guns needing 1-2, max 3 shots to down them) and in much more subtle ways (the can' t hold breath thing i was talking about above, one of many examples), thus planting the seed for these game modes popularity.

Edited by Tsark

That's not a reason that you need to blame Tonic for his altis life gamemode.

You also can't blame Dean Hall for DayZ Mod, even if there are more players playing DayZ than military gamemodes.

I'll change the title if so. I can not edit the title. I'll close this one and open a new one with a better title.

I didn't want to focus on a person in particular, I get it.

Just want to report a fact that there are a few traditional vanilla servers.

Edited by Ice9

You also can't blame Dean Hall for DayZ Mod

Bit of a shame though..:rolleyes:

I asked to lock the topic, wrong title. I opened a new one not focusing on a person in particular.

Losing its appeal to me since the voip was broken, used to play regularily now every few weeks if i have nothing else to do or play. Shame, really thought the game was going to out live my interest but certain bugs or issues makes it a pointless shooter.

Can an admin lock the topic?

Well here are my two cents. Arma 2 was a Military Simulator. People created a game mode called Takistani Life. Now, you'd think that just because you can now run around un armed picking various fruits, mining oil and stones, it automatically makes it... a non military game... That's where your wrong. So are you telling me that if Battlefield 4 added zombies via. mod, it becomes zombie survival game? Are you... anyway. Though those things are an addition to the game, there is still a large military presence. Opfor, Independent (Terrorists), and Blufor acting as UN. Occasionally Opfor and Blufor get into a conflict. Military friction, in a military simulator, oh and hey, guess what! What the hell is Mil sim without civilians running around doing stupid shit at the same time a war is going on eh! As for Arma 3, i can only say it's less military oriented in the life mod, and more civilian focused, even though there vastly less civilian content than there is in Arma 2. There's also a handful of more innocent activities, but none the less, there is still a limited range of military presence. People choose to play Tonic's game mode, for one of two reasons. Publicity, they want to record and maybe do some stunts and what not, or the second reason, which is get bored of any other game mode they've been playing and decide to give Tonic's mission file a go. Now i agree, to the point that there should be more military presence, but unless the majority of Arma players are looking for a casual game mode, your logic is compete and utter BS.