Sign in to follow this  
mk4umha

Harrier

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you mean the ones that you can download at for OFP. If so, thats because they just used the model for the Su-25 and changed its weapons and made it a helo. Is anyone making a real AV-8 for OFP?<span id='postcolor'>

Edited by edc on Sep. 22 2002,15wow.gif1

Sorry, i dont check this board often. When i see the harrier addons on the sites, they always look like the su-27. that's why i was asking why it doesnt look like a harrier.

Harrier addons would then belong in Addons & Mods hence the name smile.gif

Moving to A&M.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RaptorAce @ Sep. 27 2002,22:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i'd like to see an AV-8B, not the retextured 25's.  VTOL in a plane would be cool<span id='postcolor'>

i would like to see the BAe harrier yes

The Falklands mod team are working on the British Navy Sea Harrier and have it in-game. Hopefully it will be released soon.

The problem is the vtol take off thingy. But I think I have answer. You know how in multiplayer when you die you become a seagul? Well when you fly with the seagul note how it flys. When you slow down to a stop, you are able to vertically land and when you speed up you fly like a plane. If someone could find out just how to implement the same idea as the seagul it would work great.

Ash told me the whole thing (all of the falklands campaign stuff, i think) would be done soon! If he didn't mean all the campaign stuff he must mean the harrier, cuz its what we were talking about!

have you ever been able to point your nose at the ground as a seagull? does a seagull have flaps? or a gear? all of these things are individually coded into the simulation=confused.gif?; sections of the game, the best way for bis to allow a vtol plane in is to give a plane the ability to use a helicopters auto hover nothing else, that would solve it all

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paladin @ Sep. 28 2002,00:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The problem is the vtol take off thingy.  But I think I have answer.  You know how in multiplayer when you die you become a seagul?  Well when you fly with the seagul note how it flys.  When you slow down to a stop, you are able to vertically land and when you speed up you fly like a plane.  If someone could find out just how to implement the same idea as the seagul it would work great.<span id='postcolor'>

i think it might work cos the seagull can hover and go forward and stuff smile.gif it would be fun tho

yes it might work but you dont know if the flaps also work on that class and gear also works as evis already said

Yeah we need a VTOL class. I making V-22 Osprey and it must work with realistic simulation sad.gif .

And also the seagul can't be destroyed tounge.gif, but I'm sure a VTOL class can be made from seaguls code. Though it's up to BIS if they want to include it.

Certainly a VTOL class would be a nice addition to OFP.

However, if the new setVelocity and getVelocity commands employ a 3D vector, and override the defined simulation model in an elegant fashion, one may be able to produce some reasonably nice results via scripting. I can see all sorts of complications though, but I'm still hopeful (and will be trying this when v1.85 comes out).

My really big plea to BIS (and yes, it's an outrageous request, I know), is to develop OFP further (or OFP2) to support user-defined simulation models.

The result would be... well I do not have words...

Scripts by themselves just aren't fast enough / sufficiently integrated into the game-engine timing structure to implement new flight models. I know. I've tried. With some success, but... I wouldn't release these as public addons.

This said, a worthwhile interim compromise would be to support setting pitch and roll via script.

Prospero

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N.o.R.S.u @ Oct. 12 2002,12:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And also the seagul can't be destroyed tounge.gif, but I'm sure a VTOL class can be made from seaguls code. Though it's up to BIS if they want to include it.<span id='postcolor'>

its properly cos they libertly removed the hit zones (rember that the seagul can fly through buildings) smile.gif

Guys, lets clear this one up:

VTOL is allready in the game - it's the principle Helicopters use.

What you want is V/STOL (Vertical/Short Take Off and Landing) which is not yet in the game, and might not be added to the hard coding due to the sheer amount of changes that would have to be made.

V/STOL may be accomplished with some good scripting, but i think that's the best we're gonna get form OFP, we may get something better in IL or OFP2.

Could this be done to make a harrier flight model??

In the config you would have both a heli and a jet config part. And then under the pop-up menu (the one with flaps, auto over) you would have a selection that would change between these two when selected.

Something like this.

-Engine Nozzle down - Would change to Chopper like behaviour and add auto hover on the pop up menu.

-Engine Nozzle back - Would change to jet like behaviour.

And maybe if possible make the animation aswell.

If this is possible it would be really close to the harrier behaviour. You would be able to take off and land like a plane and a chopper. Only weird thing would be when changing from heli mode to jet mode in flight, since you would have to gain speed before changing. Or you would drop to the ground.

So would this be possible??

Please don't even consider the seagull flight engine (ick)

for the meantime perhaps two seperate versions could be made available.. 1) a vtol version based on helicopter flight dynamics and 2) a version based on normal aeroplane dynamics just like the old retuxterd frogfoot versions - they were fine apart from the fact it looked nothing at all like a harrier, though were released pre-oxygen to simulate and demonstrate future possibilities involving vtol aeroplanes

either way I am looking forward to seeing this.

>VTOL is allready in the game - it's the principle Helicopters use.

Right smile.gif

>What you want is V/STOL (Vertical/Short Take Off and Landing) which is not yet in the game, and might not be added to the hard coding due to the sheer amount of changes that would have to be made.

Wrong!, harriers takeoff mainly on V/STOL, wich is a mix between the VTOL and normal Takeoff/land, because mantaining a steady harrier is very difficult (couse of wind), and gives the under engines a big work.

We want a VTOL, that after the takeoff, flies just like a plane, not like an helicopter.

In other words, we want to be able to change simulation from heli to plane in real time. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MadWolf @ Oct. 12 2002,13:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">>VTOL is allready in the game - it's the principle Helicopters use.

Right smile.gif

>What you want is V/STOL (Vertical/Short Take Off and Landing) which is not yet in the game, and might not be added to the hard coding due to the sheer amount of changes that would have to be made.

Wrong!, harriers takeoff mainly on V/STOL, wich is a mix between the VTOL and normal Takeoff/land, because mantaining a steady harrier is very difficult (couse of wind), and gives the under engines a big work.

We want a VTOL, that after the takeoff, flies just like a plane, not like an helicopter.

In other words, we want to be able to change simulation from heli to plane in real time.   wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

the word 'prat' springs to mind in that last post smile.gif

its still v/stol

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MadWolf @ Oct. 12 2002,13:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In other words, we want to be able to change simulation from heli to plane in real time.   wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes we need some working command like: simulation="airplane" and simulation="helicopter" in the sqs or mission editor. Need change simulation CPP in the mission editor/SQS.

The Seagul flight engin is ok, its just underpowered and a little jumpy when at slow speed and accelerating!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paladin @ Sep. 28 2002,00:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The problem is the vtol take off thingy.  But I think I have answer.  You know how in multiplayer when you die you become a seagul?  Well when you fly with the seagul note how it flys.  When you slow down to a stop, you are able to vertically land and when you speed up you fly like a plane.  If someone could find out just how to implement the same idea as the seagul it would work great.<span id='postcolor'>

What if they assigned it as a helicopter? That might work. But then again, Im ignorant when it comes to such things.

Its been done. Didnt really work because helicopters dont move like planes.

what would solve all of this is if we could get a plane with the helicopter auto hover....then when you hit auto hover it would go straight to the characteristics used when in auto hover on a helicopter (with the automatic braking etc), that would pretty much solve all the problems