johnnyboy

How to embed image in forum post

I know this is lame, but I can't embed an image to advertise my new mission. I clicked the "Insert Image" tags, and input a URL to the image in Dropbox, but nothing shows up. This is what my image tags and URL looks like:

[iMAG]https://www.dropbox.com/s/uy6qp5lwl27uh1r/end3.jpg?dl=0[/iMAG]

I purposely misspelled IMG as IMAG in the code block above, else my example would not appear in this code block. That url is a legit url that works if I post it into a browser.

Please help your forum challenged arma brother... :)

That link isn't a direct url to image. It loads the whole Dropbox site.

Replace the www with dl and remove the ?dl=0 from the end.

[iMAG]https://dl.dropbox.com/s/uy6qp5lwl27uh1r/end3.jpg[/iMAG]

And your file size is above 100kb, so it would be against the forum rules to embed it.

Edited by Greenfist

Hmm, can you actually?

If I use this link to embed:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/uy6qp5lwl27uh1r/end3.jpg

The embedded image shows up in the editor, but neither in the prewiew nor when I hit "Post".

And your file size is above 100kb, so it would be against the forum rules to embed it.

Ah, nevermind.

Edited by waltenberg

Thanks guys, appreciate it. I will fix the file size and the url, and take a look at imgur.

4 hours ago, SoulEnd281 said:

This feature isn't working for me.

Best to use a website like https://imgur.com/

upload your pic there, and then get a direct link of the pic which you can also resize, and paste the link

and the forum will automatically embed it.

It doesn't matter, the feature glows red, telling me that my perfectly valid link I supplied it, is not valid.

2 hours ago, SoulEnd281 said:

my perfectly valid link

Paste a link here in plain text.

Goto your dropbox files, right click the image file and copy link (just like you would when putting something up for download), in your post click the 'insert other media' button (bottom right) choose "insert image from URL", paste the link but change dl=0 to raw=1. Job done.

For instance a picture on my dropbox, change...

...to...

Gives you this...

Editor_gameLogics.png?raw=1

On 7/30/2023 at 7:52 PM, Larrow said:

Goto your dropbox files, right click the image file and copy link (just like you would when putting something up for download), in your post click the 'insert other media' button (bottom right) choose "insert image from URL", paste the link but change dl=0 to raw=1. Job done.

For instance a picture on my dropbox, change...

...to...

Gives you this...

Editor_gameLogics.png?raw=1

I don't have a DropBox account.

3 hours ago, SoulEnd281 said:

That's the wrong link.

Please look closely at the image I provided to you in the other topic:

O5Ra9dh.png

You don't even need to use the 'Insert' dialogue with the correct link, it should embed automatically.

8 hours ago, Harzach said:

That's the wrong link.

That is the 100% correct link.

6 hours ago, SoulEnd281 said:

It's not the correct format. Notice the bright red rectangle around the Direct Link field in my picture. The link is formatted as "i.imgur... .png"

Your link is the plain image link, which is 100% the incorrect link. 

7 hours ago, SoulEnd281 said:

Your link must include .jpg, .png or any other type of image file extension. How else the browser would know how to load it? That's the fundamental part here.

Browsers don't know how to find a the exact image you want to display if you give a generic link to a page without any image file extension in the URL. When a URL has any file extension (img, png, html, whatever), a browser knows how to load it, usually.

1 hour ago, kaject said:

Your link must include .jpg, .png or any other type of image file extension. How else the browser would know how to load it? That's the fundamental part here.

Yeah, and even if I follow this format the feature still glows red.

17 hours ago, Harzach said:

You don't even need to use the 'Insert' dialogue with the correct link, it should embed automatically.

On 8/2/2023 at 12:55 AM, Harzach said:

Not for me.

1 hour ago, SoulEnd281 said:

Not for me.

You have yet to paste the correct link here.

12 minutes ago, Harzach said:

Nope, I have pasted the correct link into the "Insert other media" box:

https://i.imgur.com/a/xpouBK1.png

The box glowed red, telling me my perfectly valid link, via just pasting it, and also following your instructions, and pasting it in the correct format, was invalid.

13 minutes ago, Harzach said:

I tried 4 f***ing times to insert an image.

Following your instructions in the process the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time around, and it still glows red.

Its plain and simple.

The feature is bugged for me.

Period.

Hi, so to correctly insert your image, you need to open the image on new card and open it only as image (open your link->right click on the picture->open image on new card->you should see only the image on the page->copy link from the browser bar->paste copied link into insert image from url box and it should work)

Link should look like This

example here when you post this link here:kMgBkpo_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

You don't even have to use insert url box, the forum automatically inserts the image when you provide link just by pasting into text field.

If that won't work well i don't know what would 😄

5 minutes ago, soldierXXXX said:

Hi, so to correctly insert your image, you need to open the image on new card and open it only as image (open your link->right click on the picture->open image on new card->you should see only the image on the page->copy link from the browser bar->paste copied link into insert image from url box and it should work)

Link should look like This

example here when you post this link here:kMgBkpo_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

You don't even have to use insert url box, the forum automatically inserts the image when you provide link just by pasting into text field.

If that won't work well i don't know what would 😄

Well, I'll check.

Cheers mate.

Worked like a charm.

Thanks man, and apologies to everyone involved.