lato1982

[SP Campaign] Hunter Six: Special Operations Unit

How would you do that? Could you tell me step by step how to run Hunter Six on this map? Sorry to be a pest. I've never run a mission on a custom map before so I have no idea how to do it.

Yeah, it happens after a few days. Basically, there's a workaround where you can drag the items to the ground and then rearm your troops from there. The problem is, dragging gear to the ground is highly unreliable. I sometimes have to drag and drop 10-20 times for each item to get it to work. This is very time consuming if you're rearming 4 guys.

If this map helps alleviate that (not sure if it will. It's an empty Arsenal box I think), I'd really like to use it.

Just to clarify, I was referring to this post: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/172887-sp-campaign-hunter-six-special-operations-unit/page-7#entry2757455

It's not a map, but its a mod which - apparently - makes it easier to outfit your team with a pre-saved loadout. I haven't tried it yet, but I can give details on how it works once I try it out. If you are unsure on how to launch Arma3 with a mod enabled, say so and I can tell you how I go about it.

Edit: How it works is this: You configure loadouts in VA and name them under a name. With the mod active, near an ammo box or vehicle you select (with scroll wheel, action menu) "Outfit Gear: Loadout menu". From the top dropdown, select Virtual Arsenal which then shows the saved loadouts. You assign loadouts to a unit or yourself by double clicking the name of the loadout. Who gets assigned a loadout is controlled by the box on the left which lists available units (not yourself). If noone on the list is selected, you get the loadout. If a name on the list is selected, he gets it.

Edit2: What would be really clever with this mod, is if you could save one of your units loadout to a VA name. If I could save Frost's loadout, then it would be ready for future rearming of him (if the rearm breaks during the mission). I couldn't get that to work, but it may be possible. I would be grateful for any pointers :-). Oh, if we had teamswitch enabled, then it could work ....

It turns out that the easiest way is to enable teamswitching with a small script that is submitted in the debug console. Switch to, say, Frost in team, then invoke virtual arsenal (VA) and save his loadout (assigning his name to the loadout). Switch back to yourself afterwards. If at any time Frost needs to rearm and he cannot, team switch to him, run VA and load from the save.

You may be thinking about the mystery item in the Steam workshop which seems to be a modded version of an older Hunter Six mission ? I think it's older since he refers to version 1.053: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=496142363

Oh sweet! This is the mod that ended up working for you, right? That's great. I'll get it later. One thing that's confusing me. When you said:

It turns out that the easiest way is to enable teamswitching with a small script that is submitted in the debug console. Switch to, say, Frost in team, then invoke virtual arsenal (VA) and save his loadout (assigning his name to the loadout). Switch back to yourself afterwards. If at any time Frost needs to rearm and he cannot, team switch to him, run VA and load from the save.

I'm not sure what to do exactly. How do I enable the "small script that is submitted in the debug console."

Sorry, I'm new to this kind of stuff. I've seen debug enabled in certain missions before but I have no idea how enable it myself or go about using it. I especially have no idea what to type into the debug console to enable teamswitching. :(

If you could lend me a hand on that I would appreciate. The VA stuff makes perfect sense but the other stuff is confusing the heck out of me.

Anyway, from what I gather the teamswitching part is not necessary but faster. I appreciate the help thus far and if you get a sec at some point, some clarification on the last bit would be useful. Thanks man.

Yeah, sorry for the confusing part. It was written over a few stages where I first tried out the mod (Outfit_Gear) and later on discovered that it is not needed for solving the rearm issue. But let me make it a bit clearer, and I'll fill in details on what you need to put in where.

So if we are concerned to later on be faced with the "rearming is broken" scenario, we can do this at mission start (before rearming is broken). Do note that we are NOT using the outfit_gear mod at all:

We are going to team switch into another unit, so obviously you need to have a team. Have Frost join your team. Team switching to him is then done through these steps:

1a) You press Esc - this will bring up the Paused menu, which has the Debug Console on the right and a field where it says Execute. The box beneath "Execute" you paste this into:

enableTeamSwitch true;
{addSwitchableUnit _x;setPlayable _x} foreach units group Player;
teamSwitch;

1b) You then press Local Exec (beneath the box)

1c) Press Continue (right under PAUSED on the left) - you should now be able to team switch into Frost

2) Now being Frost, you open up the Virtual Arsenal using this code in the Execute box

["Open",true] spawn BIS_fnc_arsenal;

3) Press SAVE and give his outfit a name, eg. "FROST"

4) If ever the rearming of Frost becomes broken, switch to him, open up Virtual Arsenal and use the LOAD command. You should then be able to restore his outfit

Thats it, actually

-OP

Hey man..

i just played a little bit of this SP Campaign... THIS is what i like, thank you for this campaign, i like it a lot :)

we need much more of this type of Missions/campaigns.... good work :)

best regards

Dennis

Yeah, sorry for the confusing part. It was written over a few stages where I first tried out the mod (Outfit_Gear) and later on discovered that it is not needed for solving the rearm issue. But let me make it a bit clearer, and I'll fill in details on what you need to put in where.

So if we are concerned to later on be faced with the "rearming is broken" scenario, we can do this at mission start (before rearming is broken). Do note that we are NOT using the outfit_gear mod at all:

We are going to team switch into another unit, so obviously you need to have a team. Have Frost join your team. Team switching to him is then done through these steps:

1a) You press Esc - this will bring up the Paused menu, which has the Debug Console on the right and a field where it says Execute. The box beneath "Execute" you paste this into:

enableTeamSwitch true;{addSwitchableUnit _x;setPlayable _x} foreach units group Player;teamSwitch;
1b) You then press Local Exec (beneath the box)

1c) Press Continue (right under PAUSED on the left) - you should now be able to team switch into Frost

2) Now being Frost, you open up the Virtual Arsenal using this code in the Execute box

["Open",true] spawn BIS_fnc_arsenal;
3) Press SAVE and give his outfit a name, eg. "FROST"

4) If ever the rearming of Frost becomes broken, switch to him, open up Virtual Arsenal and use the LOAD command. You should then be able to restore his outfit

Thats it, actually

-OP

Wow thanks. That's actually pretty easy.

One problem I'm having is the virtual aresenal part. I type in the command and nothing happens.

For teamswitching I realize "u" is the shortcut. Either way, teamswitch works whether I press enter on the debug or "u" in game. But VA isn't responding at all. Am I missing something on the VA part?

If it has in fact spawned, I definitely don't see it lying around anywhere.

Oh also. Any time I type anything into the debug, I lose the ability to open up my configuration in the ESC menu. All the other tabs work fine but configuration won't open.

Even when I reload the mission, configuration won't open.

Do you know anything about that?

Wow thanks. That's actually pretty easy.

One problem I'm having is the virtual aresenal part. I type in the command and nothing happens.

For teamswitching I realize "u" is the shortcut. Am I missing something on the VA part?

You do press "Local Execute" after having put in the code, right ? Just testing the obvious bit first :)

Sounds strange about the configuration getting broken, I'll have to try that to see if it I have that too

I think I'm just going to enable outfit gear. It accomplishes the same purpose, right? Now that I can control everyone I think I'm good unless you know something about outfit gear I don't.

Hm, you would definitely know if VA had started - it is a full screen interface where you can 3D around your character and change his outfit. You can try it from the main menu, under LEARN

As for "U" I guess it works and brings up the teamswitch, since the code that was executed set up teamswitch to be enabled. Do note that mission scripts may disable it so it can be dependent on which mission you are running.

My "Configure" menu option (Video, Controls etc.) has no problems. But do note that I am testing in a no-mod environment. In case you use mods, even CBA, try to run it in a mod-free Arma 3 and see if that makes a difference.

As for outfit gear, it can provide gear from scratch, like Virtual Arsenal does. And you can save an outfit for future re-outfitting.

And if you managed to save some outfits from VA, outfit_gear can use those as well.

Yeah I just used Outfit Gear to save presets for all my guys. I think I'm good now man. Thanks so much. Hunter Six here I come (again! LOL!).

One last question while I have you here. This is my first time using the debug console. It seems that regardless of the mission I run, the console commands I put in are always there (though obviously not enabled).

Is that normal and should I clear them? If I should clear them after finishing Hunter Six, how do I do that? I don't see an "empty" or "delete all" or "clear" button of any kind.

Yeah, all I know is to mark+delete, no smart feature that I know of. It "remembers" the last one so that can be a help. There is no harm in having an old command sitting there, it does not do anything unless you execute it. I have a folder with small mini-scripts like these that I paste in.

Yeah I just used Outfit Gear to save presets for all my guys. I think I'm good now man. Thanks so much. Hunter Six here I come (again! LOL!).

One last question while I have you here. This is my first time using the debug console. It seems that regardless of the mission I run, the console commands I put in are always there (though obviously not enabled).

Is that normal and should I clear them? If I should clear them after finishing Hunter Six, how do I do that? I don't see an "empty" or "delete all" or "clear" button of any kind.

As Old_Painless said don't worry about it, it just remembers the last command you put in which can be pretty useful at times. You can leave it, it doesn't affect anything. 

Forgot to ask you this, you had to team switch to them one at a time to save their presets, right ? That was my method when I tried out Outfit_Gear (which led me to team switching altogether) but perhaps you found out something smarter ?

-OP

Forgot to ask you this, you had to team switch to them one at a time to save their presets, right ? That was my method when I tried out Outfit_Gear (which led me to team switching altogether) but perhaps you found out something smarter ?

-OP

Thanks guys.

Yes I did have to switch to them each with Outfit Gear. LOL! It took forever but it's done. Not only that but they all carry different stuff so it's probably the best way to get it set up.

I wonder why using the console on Hunter Six freezes my config menu? I'll try to disable some mods to see if I get it back.

Thanks for the help everyone.

OK, a small AAR:

Back at camp after having rested I was contemplating what task to take on. I could tell from the map that if I went for a certain task within the red no-fly zone, as a bonus I would pass by a cluster of dead enemy on the way that we had taken out previously, but not investigated yet for intel. O'Connors uncanny abilities for mapping deads, of course. So I figured that was the way to go.

We flew most of the way to the edge of the red area (no fly zone) and once we got to the dead rebels, I started investigating them. We soon came under fire from a nearby compound and my three units started calling out targets. Bloody hell, what a hot zone - it was within the red area so no extract and through the binoculars I could see at least 15-20 rebels engaging the four of us. WTF did we not drive there in an APC, that turret means business ?! We split up in twos and with a good dose of UGLs we managed to approach the compound and finish them all off. What a stash of intel those corpses was. It turned out there was a weapons cache there which I had not known about, those are usually heavily guarded as this one had been.

After touring the compound suddenly fire erupted and out of the blue two of my units went down, then the third and then I was solo. WTF? A patrol had swung by and I high tailed it out of there, bullets whizzing. After getting some terrain between me and the posse, I figured what to do next. I decided that it would not make sense to continue, because I had become so attached to these units (and their abilities) that a restart from the last good save was it. I am going back in to that compound with my respawned compadres, but we are gonna need a bigger boatTM, LOL.

-OP

• Like 1

What would the benefit or rationale be behind arresting a civilian? I've always wondered this. Do they ever do anything or does something happen after interrogating them or searching their house that would make me want to lock them up?

Every interrogation I do just leads to a time passage.

Could someone explain the arresting mechanic to me?

One benefit I have seen is if you bring them back to jail they will yield intel while you can do other tasks, ie. not spend interrogation time

One benefit I have seen is if you bring them back to jail they will yield intel while you can do other tasks, ie. not spend interrogation time

That actually sounds like a very good reason. Thanks. But how do I know who I should arrest?

I kind of feel guilty arresting an innocent civilian. Is there any way to determine if someone is a bad guy or is there no mechanic like this in the mission?

IIRC, I performed an interrogation on some civilian and then I got an order to arrest him, supposedly based on the intel I squeezed from him. He's a rebel, arrest him! or something like that. I was then able to arrest him (it was an action that became available) and brought him back to Jail in the base camp.

So on second thought, I did have to spend interrogation time, but he was then a source for even more intel that my friends back at camp could get from him

• Like 1

Just curious. Do our available teammates only hang out at the initial spawn base? Am I supposed to be able to recruit them at any base or just the one outside the AO?

I can't find Jax anywhere. LOL!

Man, we had a heck of a day 1. We headed west at dawn, got into 3 random firefights (28 us, 0 the enemy :) ), discovered the exact location of the Priest, and discovered some Intel to take out some AA. Easily my most productive Day 1 ever playing this mission.

Man, I love Hunter six SO SO much. I wish there was other missions like this. I search Steam and Armaholic every day and there doesn't seem to be anything. It's just the PERFECT template for a scenario.

Heh, thats good payoff on Day 1! Units are only present at the first base, unless you take them with you in the team. If you take them along and leave them at another base, they will be there to team up with. I have used that but you have to release them using Rest, otherwise it seems they follow you on foot even if you are airborne. If they really go AWOL, use team switch to locate them

I plan to have another go soon, this time with a drone (the small one) as special gear

• Like 1

The drone's actually not a bad idea. LOL! I never went after the priest before but I hear he can be a pain to find. That could help.

It kind of felt like cheating, but after getting the Intel to check the churches for the priest, it was getting late so I called in a chopper for an RTB. On the flight back to base, I got a notification for his exact location. :) I guess the pilot flew over the right church. I'll just pretend he has eagle eyes and can spot men of the cloth from a mile up in the air. Or that our Intel is paying off in better ways than I could have dreamed of. :)

I was very pleasantly surprised with the "random" firefights I got into last night while off mission just chatting up the civilians. If you recall, I complained the lack of random danger but last night it found me in spades.

One thing I was thinking of. Is anyone here using TPW Mods or anything to populate this world a little bit more? Been having bad luck lately using non-recommended mods in SP missions lately. Getting major bugs. If so, should any of the TPW modules be turned off?

Yeah, I know what you mean with "too safe" environment, but if one is looking for trouble, go into the red (no-fly) zone. Seems to be more densely populated with rebels

But even outside the red zone stuff can happen, I came across a roadblock today with rebels on an armed offroad, but they were toast because we were in an APC the one with the thermal imaging gun on top. Generally, for most action one should drive. If we are going far, I fly and let some other units drive there. Then when I and a few other units have carried out the task, we can enter the vehicle.

Forgot to ask, please: When you received intel on the Priest exact location during the flight, did you have the task of Eliminate the Priest as your active/current task ? Or did it just turn up randomly ?

Edit-I sniped the priest based on Intel I got from flying over several chapels both rural and in towns. Took Frost along and borrowed his sniper rifle. Thx for the tip 😊

• Like 1