Sign in to follow this  
Goodspeed

The story

The story is smelling like (umm, you know like).

First time you did evil only one crazy general. Today, I see that you made all russians people evil. What is your problem? I'm very interestingly in it.

I hope your ***** addon never be localized in Russia.

Come on, it's not like everyone who plays OFP or Resistance is going to start believing Russians are all evil/satanic/psychotic just because they are on the opposing side in a game...

This should be particularly true of the OFP community, who seem to me to be more sensible and intelligent than a lot of other gamers out there...

The fact that Russians are on the opposing side (although they weren't in Red Hammer) is probably due to the fact that the majority of the people who'll play it are from the "Western side" - you make the game to appeal to the most people you can...it's got nothing to do with BIS or anyone thinking the Ruskies are evil... smile.gif

If there was a game out that involved the player going around and killing Aussies, I would play it if it was any good smile.gif

if u dont like it dont buy it dont play it and dont moan about it

and get a grip on reality mate its a game ffs biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Goodspeed @ June 28 2002,19:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What is your problem? I'm very interestingly in it.<span id='postcolor'>

At a guess, I'd say Prague, 1968.

It's actually the same crazed Stalinist-type general as before/after(?) but he's only a colonel this time. If you're talking about the first encounter (no spoilers here), Guba made it quite clear to the corporal that if the orders weren't obeyed, the corporal would be shot, and maybe even his family harmed as well. Dying in a morally superior position is laudable, but very rare, especially when you know that there is a whole army around you, one of whom WILL pull the trigger, and with a smile. You can assume that most of the officers are as fanatical as Guba, which just leaves the PBI (Poor Bloody Infantry)to have a conscience.

I can see why you would be upset, but remember, there are countries in the world where communist regimes are considered equally as hateful as Nazis. The difference is, Germany has on the whole come to terms with that.

Removing a promise I couldn't keep. sad.gif

All Russians aren't evil?? Damn all those American movies of the 80s lied to me, those bastards biggrin.gif

Surprisingly enough not all well spoken Englishmen are crazed terrorists in New York with grudges to settle, not all Irishmen are members of the IRA or a splinter group intent on blowing people up, as was mentioned above it's a game, games are a form of entertainment, as with movies the plots and characters and bladdies are just fictional bollocks, every movie and game needs a baddie and goodie, just be happy you're in the game, I wouldn't care if England was a baddie in the game, think of it as an honour, you should only be pissed if you've got something to be ashamed about smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ June 28 2002,19:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Surprisingly enough not all well spoken Englishmen are crazed terrorists in New York with grudges to settle,<span id='postcolor'>

We're not? I'm glad you agree.

Now be a good chap and pass me that unfeasibly small nuclear device with too many flashing lights on, please.

Damn! I said I wouldn't... Oh, well.

I agree, It's just a game. The reason Russia is the bad guys in so many games isn't because of political statements. Not everything means something. Lets look at it this way. What do we look for in a game? Variety in equipment and units. Russia has a large amount of both. Lots of different tanks, planes, units, weapons ... etc.

So as a game maker you have to say. We are looking for a possible enemy. One that could actually (this being the key word) pose a threat and that will put up a good fight. One that has many highly trained units, a vast arsenal of weapons, good technology and equipment. It helps if this enemy is somewhat mysterious to our main audience. Who better fits that than Russia?

I plain to play Resistance two ways. The first time I will play with the Resistance. The second time around I will betray the Resistance and join Russia. Call me evil but it's just a game tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Fenna @ June 29 2002,16:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">because the russians *are* evil.<span id='postcolor'>

You all are IDIOTS, and nothing know about Russia.....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hilandor @ June 29 2002,16:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">.....dont buy it ...<span id='postcolor'>

I never buy it

I [censoure] it

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Indychuck @ June 29 2002,17:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I plain to play Resistance two ways. The first time I will play with the Resistance. The second time around I will betray the Resistance and join Russia. Call me evil but it's just a game   tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

SPOILER ALERT - SPOILER ALERT - SPOILER ALERT

You get shot after the third mission (when you located the resistance camp for them: 'He betrayed his best friends - he will betray us, too. Kill him!' ). I already tried it that way. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (S.F.F.R @ June 29 2002,17:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hilandor @ June 29 2002,16:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">.....dont buy it ...<span id='postcolor'>

I never buy it  

I [censoure] it<span id='postcolor'>

You never again post here

I [censoure] you

DAMNIT!

I wanted to kill some Czechs. sad.gif

Now I have to play with some uneducated yokels that can't handle a gun and miraculously massacre thousands upon thousands of russian troops.

Anyway, call me crazy, but I think BIS, (and codemasters) has issues. I remember in Red Hammer, there favorite thing to in cutscenes was to spin around 20 dead Russians. mad.gif

I mean, come on. Remember the mission with the vulcans and artillery? And the one where you conquer regina?

And in the original 1985 campaign- LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was just ridiculous. The russians were like "Imperialisticheski sabaki" biggrin.gif

The army in the Soviet Union is not like in the United States. You don't join to serve your country, you join because you have not enuff money to bribe the recruiters out of sending you to afghanistan and everon smile.gif

And definately, in 80s, know one believed in communism or any of that. Hell, everything cool was American...

BIS has gone a little overkill. The RUssians in this game are demonized more than the Iraqis in desert storm.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You never again post here

I [censoure] you<span id='postcolor'>

Is it only me, who already thought, that this will happen? tounge.gif

Well, back to topic - think about, in which era OFP takes

place. It's the era of the coldwar. And in this part of the

20th centaury the russians were the EVIL (at least to the

western countries).

Also there was the need of a potential EVIL, and a believable

story. Who would believe a story, where the philipines

take over a NATO island, and would be a dangerous enemy,

to keep up the storyline for more then 3 missions of that

campaign?

btw - no offence against the philipines, just took them as

an example.

~S~ CD

It's fucked campaign.... smile.gif

now I wanted to kill some Czechs....for this all....

I think the Soviets (NOT the same as Russians) are the "Bad" guys simply because they make a good conteporary villans. I'm not saying that the USA was any better, but as this game's primary audience is in the Western World, it makes economic sense to make a game set in 1982-1985 have the Soviets as villians. Why the Soviets, not the Chinese or Iranians or anyone else? Because they had so much great weaponry.

And, remember that BIS is a Czech developer. As someone pointed out earlier, Prague and the rest of Czechoslovakia were invaded in 1968 by Soviets. I don't think that was a happy memory for Marek and the others. Also, I remember reading that nearly everyone in BIS was in the Czech Army during the Cold War - maybe they had to work closely with the Soviets and developed a personal bias/hatred to the Red Army?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Someone @ June 29 2002,18:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's fucked campaign.... smile.gif

now I wanted to kill some Czechs....for this all....<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm well you've calmed down a bit since you were banned uder the username of S.F.F.R I'm afraid using a different username doesn't change the fact you're still banned though smile.gif

Year 1968... I know about it. Its political mistake not soviet people. I know that many people died. I know. We see something like this every day: Serbia, Iraq, Afganistan, India etc.. And so? What we should to do? Hate each other? To kindle detestation?

And its not just a game. Ask any publisher, for example Codemasters, what does it mean "to chek political correctness".

And as I told you: let they remember simple soviet soldiers wich saved, may be, their mothers and fathers in 1945. Its not politicians, its just people wich put their lifes in Czechoslovakia in 1945. Thousands soviet soldiers died.

I'm not asking them don't make russians as enemies. But I ask to do some homage to people wich died for you. Wich saved your lifes. Do not SHOW them like MUREDERES in your game.

I shouldn’t make promises I can’t keep; but this issue is too close to home. sad.gif

My father spent some time in Siberia before the Germans Invaded Russia. He despised the commies to his dying day.

But when he had been released, Ordinary Russian people saved his life and the lives of other Poles by giving them rations which were barely adequate for themselves.

I agree, the majority of Russians were good. But to get an idea of why the commies are so despised, just do a quick search using the name "Katyn."

As goodspeed said in flashpoint.ru-

Systematically eliminated the civilian population in an island is something that no modern army in the world would do.

Not even in the hellholes of Chechnya.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Goodspeed @ June 29 2002,20:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And as I told you: let they remember simple soviet soldiers wich saved, may be, their mothers and fathers in 1945. Its not politicians, its just people wich put their lifes in Czechoslovakia in 1945.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes. Wonderfull Red Army. The very same who invaded Poland (USSR was loyal ally to Nazi Germany) and was kiling civilians in 1939. The very same who invaded small, peacefull Finland killing everyone in sight. The very same who stopped in 1944 to let Germans "deal" with resistance forces in Warsaw and to let them level Warsaw to the ground. The very same who was stealing and raping on it's way.

I know that millions of USSR citizens (not only russians) died in II WW (also from its fellow citizens hands - not only Germans are to blame). I know people from former USSR. Some are my friends. But for me and for lot of peoples in my country (and lot of other countries) Red Army is synonime of evil. Jalta is synonime of evil.

The sadness of history was that lot of peoples was saved from one evil (Nazi Germany) by other evil (Soviet Union). For us here II WW ended in 1989. Russia is now (more less) normal country. With normal peoples living there. But Soviet Union was great evil to all people.

Resistance shows not Russia, it shows Soviet Union. In 1980's we feared that Red Army will invade. And we expected it to came here killing everything that moves, as it is in Resistance. Ask people from Budapest - they have stories to tell.

Yes, that is how I see Red Army. I don't hate Russians, I hate USSR, I hate Red Army. Call me anything you want.

AndyZ

Warsaw, Poland

To be honest in a game representing human conflict someone somewhere is going to get ticked off.

I'm sorry to see the Russian's getting "it" in this instance, but the vast majority of level headed gamers realise that it's purely to create an A versus B conflict regardless of the nationality.

I'll lay ten to one odd's that the Germans get ticked off about "Medal of Honor", "Wolfenstein", and "Commandos 1 & 2".

The good thing about Flashpoint is the Editor were you can reverse the tables as much as you like.

I can say with hand on heart when I stop playing this game I have no ill feelings towards the Russian people and or their military. smile.gif

Ill have muchos respect for them, you wanna know why cause there tuff buggas to kill biggrin.gif

AndyZ-

Its extremely tempting to call you want I want, but I'll restrain from that.

Your sorry ass wouldn't be here without Russia winning World War II. And all that killing (which was retribution, 20 million russian civilians dying versus .5 million german civilians dying, how terrible, that evil red army.) was 50 years ago. It was quite normal in those time periods. And BTW.. the British and Americans never made civilian killings because they had no reason to hate the germans. Half their country wasn't killed.

In the 80s, the Red Army was far more disciplined and modern, they MOST CERTAINLY didn't kill everything in sight.

But imagine yourself, in Afghanistan, for example. In afghanistan, any "civilian" could pull a pistol on you and shoot you. Anyone, even 12 year old children could be bandits. They certainly didn't kill everything in sight, would you? But wouldn't you be suspicious?

BTW... Russia is a far less normal country than it was in the 60s, 70s and 80s in the Soviet Union. Far less crime, far better economy, far better military. I don't know what happened in boondocks were you lived, but Moscow was quite decent.

OK, the big cheeses were quite stupid morons, but they were not as stupid to order the genocide of the entire civilian population.

OK.. my point is that th Red Army might have been a little too rough-handed with civilians, but no more than you or I would do. Its because it has been placed in very difficult situations, like the Americans in VIetnam. I hear that the Americans weren't exactly very kind to civilians in Vietnam, and the game is placed a short time period after it. Then why isn't the US army genociding and wiping out all civilians on everon and kolgujev?

The big cheeses might be stupid, but no way would they order wiping out all the civ pop or the soldiers would agree to doing so. My heart burns when I'm playing the campaigns and the Red Army is executing civilians like they were fascists and it was the holocaust.

I just request that BIS tone down its demonizing of not just the big cheeses, but all the Russian people and soldiers.