Rydygier

[SP] HETMAN: War Stories

To be honest, forceweatherchange has always been in my addon for the initialising weather. And full overcast takes > 1hr. Also, the time arguments in the weather commands have some timing bugs, reported often. So I must disappoint you, there is no progress. But I think this is unimportant for your mission...

What annoys me most with the ArmA weather engine: You have tons of clouds, but ArmA still casts shadows as if the sun is shining... happens at overcast levels I think until 0.8.

Plus you cannot efectively measure clouds above player.

Edited by tortuosit

So I must disappoint you, there is no progress.

But you had to use skiptime back and forth earlier to make weather change, isn't? And from my tests forceweatherchange didn't made any difference then. Now we can forget skiptime workaround, because forceweatherchange apparently is now operational. I would call it some progress.

I mean, whatever faction I chose from RHS, Hetman mission was stuck in loading screen (with that progress bar, after mission settings). RHS addons: @rhs_afrf3;@rhs_usf3;@ascz_rhs_fix;@rhs_merge_ru

And what uncle RPT says about that? For me it works fine. I have version 0.3.0 downloaded at November, but no @ascz_rhs_fix (what's that?). There is some minor stuff in RPT (apparently one/few of their units haven't magazines config value), but this doesn't block the loading progress.

EDIT: If I take any faction but added by my "Merge" (last one, Russia (All)), there may be stuck of unknown origin. Anyway, is meant to be used Russia (All), at least, if you play with Merge. Hopefully soon I'll at least study the reason, why for other factions stuck occurs.

All right. Situation seems clear. If you play with Merge, that means, you want to play using only Russia (All) faction. Anyway, that's the purpose and goal of Merge. For the others (tested MSV) game will stuck at end of loading. If you want to play with other subfactions, launch RHS without Merge pbo. Tested with MSV again and there was no stuck. Apparently something, that Merge does with default subfactions, is not liked by HWS. Probably the fact, Merge has to change default faction of each unit, not sure though.

Edited by Rydygier

Hey! Good to see HAC still being worked on. I have a slight request regarding the War stories mission. Could you add "No Intro" option? For me the dyanamic text display is VERY VERY slow and it took me 5 minutes to even get the first sentence displayed.

PS: Summer Chernorus, do it NAO! :P

For me the dyanamic text display is VERY VERY slow and it took me 5 minutes to even get the first sentence displayed.

One guy before had same problem. If text is loading 5 minutes long is not the solution to make it optional, as it is because something is broken/conflicting with the mission itself, not only with the intro sequence, and even if you ommit the intro, same exec delays will stay later. For that first guy the problem was one of the mods, he was using not working well with HWS. I suspect similar case here. If something seems don't working first step should be try vanilla...

BTW similar issues (huge script exec delays lasting many minutes at least) was noted in my another project, Pilgrimage mission. In both cases it was caused by/affecting few, certain mods. What links both projects is script doing many heavy things including spawning lots of troops under loading screen. For some, unknown to me reason, some mods react allergic on that apparently. I really would like to know the key factor here.

---------- Post added at 19:35 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

PS: Summer Chernorus, do it NAO! :P

See first post, without any real scripting anyone can make own port. Some guys already did some ports.

Edited by Rydygier

Extremely brilliant and immersive scenario, should have tried it waay before.

By the way, Arma 3 crashed 2 out of 3 times I played the mission, immediately after exiting the debriefing. I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this issue? I'm running no mods.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this issue?

Nope, AFAIK, there was more victims of that bug. Debriefing is vanilla, so it's not my end, thus can't fix it. :(

Nope, AFAIK, there was more victims of that bug. Debriefing is vanilla, so it's not my end, thus can't fix it. :(

Yep. I was just thinking though....there is a lot of details shown in debriefing. I wonder if one of those details is what is causing the issue and we can pin point that to report bug to BI or remove it from the debriefing screen.... Just a thought.

I think, I'll run series of tests on debriefing screen one day. As never had a problem with not enhanced debriefing, indeed it may be caused by custom screens. But if so, IMO all of them have to be removed, as seems more likely, existence of such custom screen itself could cause that than certain content of it. Also I wonder, if this bug happens in the other missions too.

You raise a good point, i play a lot on custom maps using your code by porting...and lately i havent had any crashes like i've seen previously....So maybe your on to something.

For me the dyanamic text display is VERY VERY slow and it took me 5 minutes to even get the first sentence displayed.

Hmm this is interesting. I haven't got this problem in HWS... But in my whole ArmA 3 (2?) life I have this problem sometimes at mission startups. It's usually that text to the bottom right like "Altis, near Kavala..." beepbeepbeep. That thing. Sometimes it is super quick, sometimes like 1 letter per second (e.g. in Escape Altis missions). Have never tried to find out what is the cause.

Hetman 1.06 Bornholm, I hope it works for you: <snip,broken,later> I'm curious how it will play as Bornholm is pretty hard on PC ressources.

Anyway... Rydygier, the trigger which you describe in your porting instructions, does it need to surround the whole map or the whole island?

Edited by tortuosit

That trigger is meant to cover the map, but you can try to limit it's area only to the chosen battlefield and see, if it works (may speed up loading a bit). Not quite remember at the moment, why I said, it have to cover whole map. Maybe because it's a base to calculate, if given position is out of the map area...

Yeah, tried to do something about, but apparently main reason is too well hidden or, what's most probable, lies not on my end.

Extremely brilliant and immersive scenario, should have tried it waay before.

By the way, Arma 3 crashed 2 out of 3 times I played the mission, immediately after exiting the debriefing. I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this issue? I'm running no mods.

I have had the same bug, but not on HWS. My RPT log identified it as a PhysX.dll crash. Feedback Tracker Ticket http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=19229

Edited by alky_lee

OK, get ready, this is probably a totally stupid question... Is it intended that me and my group sometimes spawn with 100s of meters distance? Sometimes I'm struggling to find my group at mission start. Also because there are many friendly AIs around. And my group is not yet on my sthud scope... "Struggling" is maybe to much, but I have to ask them "Where are you" and then run there.

Is it intended

It's side effect of something intended, that affects every group at spawn. It's consequence of the very cautious component of the code searching for safe spawn position for each unit. Without it units was often spawned one on the another (very bad for vehicles) or colliding with some objects. In the flat, empty area that may look a bit weird/pointless for infantry, but become important, if group by a chance is spawned eg in the town or anywhere, where is no room for whole wedge formation etc.

Ok I got the mission working (BTW: ASR AI seems to be working fine with the Hetman).

Anyway, I would like to ask if the mission places actual unit as a Commander. Im asking as I just "finished" a mission in with I was a recon marksmen. I managed to bypass all of the enemies and locate what looked like an enemy commander (way behind lines, single officer just standing). I managed to close in into less 100m from him (it was dark already and I had no night scope). I dropped him with a single shot. Shortly thereafter MY commander ordered us to surrender due to losses :(.

I think that: physical commander should be put into the field. Killing him should generate some feedback (something about HVT being eliminated by [playername]). Finally killing the commander should be a devastating blow, to make it worthwhile hunting him down, but to make things harder the commander should be changing positions from time to time and hide in the buildings, maybe give him a car and few bodyguards so it will be a little bit easier to find him.

Another thing: is arty getting placed into the map? I have drongos artillery addon and it would be a blast (pun intended) to act as an artillery spotter., but it requires physical artillery being present. Maybe add a separate setting for arty like: none, mortars, guns, rockets, mix and random.

In the end though, it was a great little mission, single shot fired, one kill, shame it didnt matter.

Edited by Taro8

1. Each side has physical commander on the field, that you can kill. Killing him will have serious impact - constant morale drop for his army, that after some time leads to inevitable surrender... Unless yours army surrender first for any reason. That was your case, I suppose. Commander will hide into the building, if any is near to his initial position. Bodyguars are supported by Hetman, so I'll think about adding such bodyguard group, but this need whole unit class to set as SF, means exclude from regular fights, so not sure, if good idea. He'll not get any vehicle, because it would make him a sitting duck - vehicles are easily spotted by AI from far, so it would make his life much shorter. It's not supposed to be found easy, why should?

2. Artillery, if available for given faction, is often placed. And used. Hetman uses own artillery handler (and you can act like a spotter, no FO-battery communication, but each not known yet enemy, you spot, is thanks to you potential target for the arty, if commander decide to allocate fire mission on it). Thus, do not play with any other artillery handlers - bad interferences are likely.

I'm sure this is ArmA ai, but still, how can I stop them permanently saying "Move", "Cover meeeeeeeee", "OK, I'm covering", "Go", "Covering, go", "Goooooooooo", "OK, let's go", "On the move" like crazy. Enemy miles away, but they permanently talk about covering.

Maybe this is,, because enemy infantry has been reported? But they are many grids away... We're in 045130 and enemy infantry reported in 040110... EDIT, no its not fun when they permanently do this, because we only very slowly approach combat area. We're crossing a road since maybe 2 minutes now... They are all the time fully aware, but enemy is not in sight.

Edited by tortuosit