megagoth1702

Is manual transmission for vehicles possible?

Probably not but it would mean I could use higher RPM when going up a hill. Sounds better. Also I like it super realistic sometimes so if it is in the game we just need a control for it. ;)

Does this mean if it were done, we could accelerate faster too?

Technically yeah, as you would be able to force the engine of the vehicle to get better rpm.

it is not possible with the current configs

Dear B.I.S.,

Why do we have a class parameter (gearBoxMode, https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Vehicle_Handling_Configuration#Transmission_parameters) to select the gearbox type which we can not use ? Every programmer can tell that such restrictions are often made to sell another product with "better" (unlocked by a magic boolean switch) functionality. Is this the case here ? Does this parameter work in VBS ?

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Waldemar 337 said:

[...]

Is this the case here ? Does this parameter work in VBS ?

[...]

ArmA3 =/= VBS and VBS =/= ArmA3.

Different dev teams, and developed by different companies (albeit with the same parent).

I thought these forums had moved past the "controversy" of comparing OFP/ArmA games to VBS1/2/3, but here we go jumping back on that full band-wagon again apparently...

• Like 1

Different dev teams, but the same engine. I think it is compiled from different configs, but the core must be the same. Nobody will invent the same wheel twice. All the magic is visible in the naming of all the classes and PBOs if one looks attentively. I just do not understand why.

4 minutes ago, Waldemar 337 said:

Different dev teams, but the same engine

[...]

Being based from the same engine, does not mean its nuts and bolts are exactly the same. Whilst earlier iterations of the VBS software were very similar to older ArmA games (I worked on addons for VBS1 so can speak from albeit limited experience on this), I can safely say that BISIM have made some drastic alterations to the core engine that set it apart from the ArmA3 RV engine...

I hope we will be able to use a normal manual gearbox in the new game on a new engine which is being developed, because it is very strange to have gearbox locked while even ancient games for MS-DOS allowed players to switch gearbox manually ...

BIS really needs to stop being afraid of complexity. Most of us can drive a car perfectly well, even if some have problems driving stick. 🙂 It's not that hard with a sequential shifter, though, the real issue is when you have a fully manual transmission complete with the clutch, and if you have hardware for that, you probably know how to use it. I actually prefer the stick shifter somewhat. At the very least, give us a proper automatic transmission, complete with "park" the ability to force low gears. I actually find the "simplified" system more clunky to drive, brake should be a brake, and not double as a reverse. It might seem odd, but increasing complexity often leads to actual difficulty being reduced, since things are much easier to work with when they act in a way that makes sense.

• Like 1