Sign in to follow this  
dezkit

Animate a memory point with an animation?

Hey,

I was wondering if its possible to animate some arbritary memory points to follow an animation in cfgmodels.

For example: collision lights following folded wings.

This should be possible, but I can't figure out how, because of the fact that the effects that follows the shooting of a tank turret, follows the turret instead of standing stationary.

Thanks.

Give the memory point a name in the name selection box. Add that as a bone in your config. Then link the bone to the parent bone(in your case it would be the other thing you animated) and you should be set

Are alternately you can just name the mem point the same as the other selection you animated

The first way would be used if that mem point has another animations but if it's only following the one thing then naming it the same as the other bone will work fine

Edited by M1lkm8n

Then your doing something wrong ;)

Post your model cfg

All I did was I made the name of the memory point same as the thing being animated in the resolution lods

Yea sounds good. And it doesn't work? Does the bone in the resolution lod work?

I just tested it with PIP mirrors connected to a turret and it confirms that memory point do infact follow animations, but collision lights do not. Can you try it out, I think i will submit a report on the feedback site.

Oh that is lame. I just found out models can only handle 10 reflector classes or a3 crashes. Another bug that needs to be submitted

Animations work for some memory points, and don't for others. Or maybe they work fine, except the simulation (plane, planex) ignores them. Same is true for wingtip vortex memory points, etc.. It seems they haven't considered the possibility of variable sweep wings, and the simulation code reads light positions only once from the P3D, and not continuously.

To me it appears that the problem is because certain particles (light effects, vapours, exhaust effects etc.) seem to be limited to using the initial x,y,z coordinates of the memory points only, rather than that the memory points themselves are not following the animation.

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Except lights are not particles (they are actual lights, + optional sprite for the glow, + optional emitter surface/light cone geometry). And the exhaust effects are some kind of 3D-to-2D post processing wizzardry.

I'm guessing the reason why these features don't animate as we expect, is optimization. The person writing the simulation code figured lights/wingtips/engines will always be fixed, why bother to refresh them all the time and waste CPU/GPU time.

If anyone is willing to make a feature request out of it, i'd gladly support it.

Hey guys sorry to dig this up.

Was this resolved?

I wanted my harrier to have exhausts follow the direction of the nozzles so that in vertical landing the smoke would go down but it doesn't seem to work.

Did any of you open a ticket by chance?

i did a searchlight for a tank turret and it moves without problems with the barrel. So light is ok, you just cant switch it off by hiding (deleting) the memory point.

Maybe marker lights are handled differently then "real" lights?

Edited by Fennek

Could you please post your model.cfg as reference?

I don't need the whole thing, just the searchlight bits.

Also, did you just use a memory point or did you add something else in the other resolution lods?

Is it just me or does the men point for door triggers no move either. My doors in my structures are all Door_1, Door_2 and so on. So my trigger for each is Door_1,Door_2 and so one. When placed in the memory Lod inside the appropriate door when the door animates the trigger doesn't seem to follow the door. Even tho the bone names are the same.

Anyone else verify this?

Could you please post your model.cfg as reference?

I don't need the whole thing, just the searchlight bits.

Hm? there is nothing special about it. both memory points for the light are part of a selection called light_axis

and this selection is child of the gun elevation bone. That's it. regular ordinary swedish config time.

I dont think lights have anything in common with particle effects, its 2 completely different things. Working lights doesnt mean it will work with particles.