zeealex

DiamondBack (don't expect frequent updates)

As it says in the title, don't expect updates on this for a while, this was in between exam revision and female mod break work.

but I thought it would be good to show anyway.

DiamondBack is a Character Skin and Head Mod based around Alex Jessup's Diamond Back Recon concepts:

http://alexjjessup.deviantart.com/art/Special-Forces-390639631

http://alexjjessup.deviantart.com/art/Sniper-395874730

The model was made very roughly and from scratch using edge loop techniques and they are currently configured as glasses but don't work well. The texture was also made from scratch.

they will be configured as selectable heads rather than NVGs/Glasses as the model causes trouble in the viewpilot, they will be fully compatible with arma 3 helmets, the models will be essentially be done around the default male head, and the top will be left bald.

diamondback_teaser_1_by_zeealex-d7lg232.jpg

the model in 3ds Max

model_finished_by_zeealex-d7lg3r8.jpg

heads will be configured like so:

the one as above

One of the same model, but in Camo

Variation B

Variation B Camo

Variation C

Variation C Camo

Expansions may occur as I play around more but that is what I set out to do FIRST, once I pick up the mod.

• Like 2

Nice, though a faceplate would probably fit as glasses/NVGs better. Are the problems you mentioned possible to work around? Oh, and I don't know if that's possible, but it'd be nice if putting this thing on displayed some sort of tactical overlay. Right now, it's certainly good for making NPCs look scary, though. :)

Jessup's quality artwork being a reality in A3 is like a dream come true. Great work buddy, and best of luck completing your projects! :)

Judging by the "Special Forces" picture the face mount is supposed to be attached to the helmet's NVG mount, which makes sense. However, if that leads to issues I understand making them as faces.

Also, will any of the variations include the shark teeth one, or the one that only covers the eyes?

Also also, have you contacted Alex Jessup? Could help with design and prevent some issues from occurring. Good luck, definitely following this.

I'd totally be for doing the face plates as NV-mounted gear, since the equipment is helmet mounted in the original designs too. The default NV-Goggles cause no problems when flipped down, maybe there's a trick to avoiding the trouble?

I understand that the facemask is on an NVG mount, but it's getting it to work as an NVG that's the problem, it also strikes me that these concept masks are worn in daylight too, rather than just for night vision, as there are peripherals on there that would be used in daylight situations. having these masks as pseudo NVGs with their own interface as they are worn, would mean that unless some sort of alternative can be found, actual NVGs wouldn't work and scripting isn't my forte at all.

as glasses, they obstruct the view of the player in first person, as the glasses proxy is defined in the view pilot of the default model. there obviously is a work around, or default glasses would have the same problem. I would suspect, if they were instead classified as NVGs I would suspect that they would do the same. certainly as a preliminary mod, they could be used as heads until the problem is found and figured out.

Also, will any of the variations include the shark teeth one, or the one that only covers the eyes?
yes, variation C is planned, that means it will have the shark tooth design.

like I said, it'll be a little while before any serious developments are made

I am certan that at a very near point in time, I will have to address Image Intensification (NVG/IR) and Situational Awareness with my work on the UIHADSS.

If I come up with anything usable, I will be sure to share it with you for this project.

that would be awesome ENJAM! thanks! :)

I'll tell you what, here's how it can be:

I'll need a scripter to do the following desired extensions

Allow the user to take the mask on and off with a scroll wheel action, or a keybinding, when the mask is off, it is stored in the inventory.*

Provide a futuristic but minimalistic and intuitive interface when the user is wearing the mask (I will provide concepts later on)

enable the mask to have an NVG, IR WHOT, IR BLHOT, and OFF mode without the need for night vision goggles to be assigned to the helmet

In the meantime, I'm going to work on cracking the problem, I think, stress THINK, the problem of the view obstruction can be solved by closing the mask model with a separate mesh, with an alpha channel as its texture. this should override the texture and polygon rendering of the mesh in front of it, therefore no view obstruction will occur, I used to do the same thing when modding Ghost Recon 1 in my early days. If this override poly needs its UVs conjoined with the rest of the mesh to work, then so be it, there's a little bit of space to plonk a low res Alpha source in there, doesn't need to be huge if its going to be invisible.

• Like 1

are you doing the rest of the Diamond Back stuff? like the carrier rigs, the helmets, the shemaghs, the fatigues, the guns and scopes stuff like that?

On 7/24/2017 at 4:29 AM, kremator said:

What is up with people today necroing threads ? 

Newcomers to the forum :f: