Sign in to follow this  
oggoeg

Will future DLC:s or patches ever fix these gameplay killers?

After over 1200 hours of Arma 3, I feel like the game is not going ahead anymore. The gameplay is still sometimes buggered by some crutches that have recently turned me off from the game.

So I'm asking will these issues ever be fixed or are they just going to be "features". :j:

Biggest things that turn me off haven't even been the lack of features like bibods, weapon resting etc. or MP optimizations. It's the bad gameplay. Why still use the action menu? It's not really efficient to use one action key for every action, I can't count how many times I've been hit when going for a door, well the door doesn't open, you will start to heal yourself (AGH!). Better yet, I can't even stop healing myself if i started it. And that's just one example how fubar things can go with the menu system. :(

It's really frustrating gameplay, counterintuitive.

Now when you spice it up with the weapon collision (that doens't work, guys!) you get mish mash of being stuck doing actions you didn't want to perform while being stuck on every cover with your rifle.

I don't wan't to poke myself off staircases to fall and die anymore. So for me i'll either have to wish these things will be sweeped off the game or I'll just have to stop playing this game. It's killing the fun of it.

Arma series games were always as interesting as clunky, bugged and, in my own private opinion, poorly written. There are so many things that simply don't work and which is worse, they are never going to be fixed, unless some moders are on in. It started with Operation Flashpoint and Arma games commit exactly the same sins. Animations are not fluent, you cannot change weapon when running, you have to stop animation, pause and then you can start new animation, what makes the whole process very coarse and unrealistic. AI in this game is tragedy. If you order your soldier to enter some vehicle, he will always run for some time around that vehicle, untill it regains it's mind and get in. That's why I hate playing arma having more than 2-3 members in squad, because you never know, what da hell they will do this time. There is even no easy way to exchange equipment, seeing ALL you have and ALL they have at the same time. Ordering npc to take something from the ground is really horrible- you just have to find it on the list (pointless, if you want npc to take closest weapon, where there are many units of that weapon in the area). Npc just starts to run somewhere.... and that's Arma in the nutshell. Unrealistic vehicle physics, stuttering, so many other things to list... Oh, and dont try to order AI to drive through the whole map on it's own. It will be a very brief tree-or-bush-or-wall-ended journey, with all wheels broken and dying engine.

Edited by Shipbreaker

I don't why you guys even keep playing if it is SO bad. Oh hello, it isn't bad at all! Either shit or get off the pot (ie fix it yourself or leave), or here's an idea -wait for BIS to fix it. Write a ticket on the feedback tracker and IF people vote for it, it will get fixed.

Write a ticket on the feedback tracker and IF people vote for it, it will get fixed.

You know that isn't true.

If people don't vote for issues they think important then nothing will get fixed.

Everytime, everywhere over the internet, whe you post some criticism, you can hear only one thing: do it better, paint it better, script it better, do your own mission, quit playing that... That's not, how problems are solved. I you don't believe me, read A3 reviews.

Arma is too interesting and complex just to give it up. I have loads of fun playing it. I just cannot understand, why this game is so glitchy and why the only thing that is actually getting dramatically better is graphics. I AM the person who BOUGHT their product, for MY money earned by MY hands- I'm not getting paid for improving it. Since I bought it, I have inalienable right to evaluate it. I could just get to the point using mild friendly bullshit words, but now I'm just massively annoyed by lack of improvement. Can you explain that to me, why the hell AI cannot find direct, straight way to the designated waypoint despite of the fact, that it's 3rd game of the series, we have 2014 A.D. and it still sucks like it's early beta of some free small time amateur project, and that problem still persists? Why?! It doesn't even have a advanced mission editor, and most of things you want to build in your mission are ordeals, ways through pain, sorrow, not working scripts and useless complexity.

Edited by Shipbreaker

AND the last patches made the game worse instead of fixing ANYTHING. Distant vehicles appear to be flipping and floating, the sound has gone from bad to shitstorm-supershit and hitbox registration with objects has gone AWOL. Biggest letdown at the moment for me is sound. If you fire a rifle it plays a sound for the shot, for the bolt and for the brass ejecting and hitting the floor. Thats 4 bloody soundfiles where for the same money it could be just 1. Miniguns send out so much sounddata that MP can't even handle it properly! Just make 1 audio file for an ongoing minigun and play that >1< sound when a gunner holds the trigger so you have 1 ongoing sound and not individual sounds per shot!

After over 1200 hours of Arma 3, I feel like the game is not going ahead anymore

I stopped reading after this, if you have put in that many hours into Arma 3, you have had WELL over your monies worth, which is more than you can say for over 90 percent of games these days.

If you are only now complaining about Arma's many faults, then it's time move on, time to find another game that you'll sink that many hours into, and I don't mean that in a bad way mate, but sometimes if you aren't getting enjoyment out of something, then it's definitely time to consider something else to play.

Agreed with Kiory 100%. All games have their glitches and issues. And all people eventually get tired of games. I've moved on from playing to mission making, and i always find some way to keep this game interesting.

Also keep in mind, there are MODS out there that offer features you are looking for, however the servers restrict mods which i dont understand sometimes. Join a group and the MODs can be used as the group sees fit. Many awesome groups out there which will make this game feel 100% like new again.

You also have to remember that as of right now, it's likely that Arma 3's dev team has been shrunk a bit. But there is hope. Look at DayZ standalone. Guess what you can do in DayZ Standalone? Switch weapons while moving, Use bipods, have a more accurate representation of weapon attachments. Even still, Arma 3's AI is really VASTLY improved when it comes to infantry combat. AI recognize and try to take cover (granted, it is faulty), CQB is vastly improved with squads trying to use said cover to flank you. Arma 3's weaponry system (while ultimately limited) are among some of the best I've seen ever. Weapons feel more responsive and I actually feel challenged when I face an AI in a 1 on 1 duel. Armor plating is feasable for the time-period and considering the backstory of the game, it makes sense that the opfor have better armor. While at times I complain about it, Arma 3 actually feels like I'm there. Plus, if you want something new, you don't have to wait for arma 4, just download a mod. It's really a cool concept that keeps the game selling. I have a feeling that as features get finished for DayZ, and new features come out for Arma 3 with these DLC, we'll be seeing much better gameplay. However, from a business standpoint, it's really bad to throw an incomplete system into a game that's supposed to be complete. DayZ's weapon switching mechanic still has bugs, as does the bipods. Even the vaulting does. But Arma 3 and DayZ show that the engine is NOT dead and that there is so much more left to be discovered that the possibilities are limitless.

Use bipods

Remember, that is on like what, 1 gun last time I saw some dayz vid

Dayz has less than 10 guns if I remember correctly, defintely less than 10 rifles (Your not going to use a bipod on a pistol)

For arma 3, its very different because it has to fit onto every gun, not glitch out, and also they have to account for addon compatiblity to some extent

if it breaks, or doesnt work with any addons people would be very dissatisfied, also they didn't do this at the start and doing it now would be a daunting task.

Obviously we all want it but, I wouldn't count on bipods happening, at least not in a proper way.

I do agree the engine isnt dead all that stuff, but the most ridiclously bad part of arma 3 right now I would say is the fact that AI can survive so many hits, anyone who has played arma 2 instantly recognizes this error, they totally botched infantry armor system and really should either make bullets more powerful, or more likley, make it so armor works properly

(Only at really long distances and should actually allow penetration, not just a hit with some dumb damage reduction so your guy looks up a foot instantly then moves a few inches and says "ahhh oww")

-MikeTim

Remember, that is on like what, 1 gun last time I saw some dayz vid

It doesnt matter how many assetts make use of a feature... The feature either is there or it isnt. If it works for one gun it can work for all others that would be feasible.

I do hope however that they do something about the action menu in the next dlc. It is and was always super clunky. It doesnt keep me from playing but it's inconvenience.

Yes, it really does matter. Did you read my post. And no it does not just magically work on all guns, don't make that kind of statement with no evidence to back it up.

To make it work for all guns, they have to first actually make it for all guns, add scripting to files, configure things and model the bipod, even if only one bipod was used.

Then after that, not all guns are the same, even if you make them use the same bipod, it might physically not even fit on all guns, or clip through them, or cause bugs on different guns, which means much more work, much more bug testing and obviously many more bugs.

If it works for one gun it can work for all others that would be feasible

Sorry but respectfully that just isn't true at all, it would not be feasible to work like that because ArmA has much more content anyway. Also it doesn't even work like that for DayZ either, not that you specifically mentioned that, I understand.

Though I agree you don't need to necessarily apply it to everything, honestly, that is what arma players want so it really still does matter, even more so.

Also what is the point of developing some type of bipod system that doesn't work with all or most things. I feel you did not read the part of my post where I explained that there would be many problems you just jumped straight ahead and quoted my first sentence.

:) I hope you are able to see what I am saying And don't take it in a hostile way.

I'm talking about the method. If you have a method to make a bipod work ingame it works for every gun. 1 Bipod might not work for all guns for optical reasons, yes that could be the case.

Same as with exchangeable scopes/silencers etc. Or PiP for vehicles. If the method/support structure is there you can make it work for everything. How much extra work that costs you is another story.

Well yeah I see that you mean making a "method" for it is the way to go. (I suggest to use the word "system" next time I think it is what you really meant)

But

If you have a method to make a bipod work ingame it works for every gun

Still isn't totally true, you CAN make it work for every gun, and you do understand

How much extra work that costs you is another story.
is a factor.

But yeah I agree a system is the way to go, but because it wasn't implemented at the start, it requires modification of everything, in addition to simply making the strucute, that means like every gun model and config file and all those things need to be editied so it is more than just a strucutre, its a mass change. The problem is that the method/support strucure is not there so it makes it really unlikely it will ever happen. Forget how much work, its just not feasible unless they make some gigantic thing like OA for Arma 3 in like 2 years or in arma 4.

We wont see this in ArmA 3, not in any of the DLCs, probably never in ArmA 3 honestly.

I would like it but, :( I would not count on this happening ever or for a very long time.

Just wait. With DLC's come features. You may not own the vehicles, but with the new guns for example, your probably going to get any implementations they add with it for free. However, i feel you on the door thing. I've had that happen, and ended up talking to my enemy up until the animation was done before getting 7.62 through my skull. A way around this is to not scroll near doors. simply walk up to it, and when the icon shows, press the middle mouse button down. Saved my life many times. Until they find new ways to interact with things, we live with our own workarounds.

Just wait. With DLC's come features. You may not own the vehicles, but with the new guns for example, your probably going to get any implementations they add with it for free. However, i feel you on the door thing. I've had that happen, and ended up talking to my enemy up until the animation was done before getting 7.62 through my skull. A way around this is to not scroll near doors. simply walk up to it, and when the icon shows, press the middle mouse button down. Saved my life many times. Until they find new ways to interact with things, we live with our own workarounds.

This is how I handle doors, unfortunately it doens't work if you get hit when you're at the door, you will have to scroll to open it. Pressing space or mmb will start healing (or blow up you satchel or something). Worst case scenario there is two doors near each other and you open the wrong one because you will never know wich "open door" is the one you want to open. What makes this even worse is the fact that you're opening doors you're not even looking at.

The scroll menu needs to go. Period :mad:

With 1200 hours of playing time the DLC's and patches cant be THAT bad....lol:rolleyes: