specops_zpsac14df3a.jpg

ukraine_zpsc23da41a.jpg

alpha_zps3c99afa3.jpg

Proxy Wars: Moschnyi Island

By Kommiekat

Version 1.1

Game version: ARMA2: Combined Operations

Game Mode: Single player Campaign

Inspired by true events that could and may have happened by the C.I.A.

Description:

"A proxy war is a conflict where third parties fight on the behalf of more powerful parties.

Proxy wars have also been fought alongside full-scale conflicts. It is almost impossible to have a pure proxy war, as the groups fighting for a certain nation usually have their own interests, which can diverge from those of their patron.

Typically proxy wars function best during cold wars, as they become a necessity in conducting armed conflict between at least two belligerents while continuing cold warfare.."

WIKI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_war

Change Log

Version 1.1

-Added NV Goggles to Player in all missions only

-Added NV Goggles to Enemy Patrol Leaders only

-Increased enemy patrol groups by one unit

-Fixed trigger in Phase 3 (Third Mission)

Download Link:

Armaholic

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25510

MediaFire

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bgab87c3pl5c96i/ProxyWars.rar

Features:

* Custom Sound

* Custom music

* Awesome Moschnyi Island Map

* 4 mission campaign

Requirements:

Arma 2/OA/CO 1.62

CBA_CO

or

CBA, CBA_A2 and CBA_OA

Hazmat Units

-by Icewindo

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18238&highlight=HAZMAT

Desert Mercenaries and BlackOps

-by SchnapsdroSel

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6471&highlight=BB%2BUNITS

Ukranian Infantry

-by Vulf and Kurt

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10343&highlight=UKRANIAN

Project Paranoia - Special Forces Alpha

-by SBH collective

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=13984&highlight=PROJECT%2BPARANOIA

GSEP Moschnyi Island

-by The Green Sea Expansion Project

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15645&highlight=MOSCHNYI%2BISLAND

Scripts:

Barrels on Back of Truck

-by RUBE

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jh6ccg18fc1m88y/BarrelsOnATruck.utes.zip

Smoking Barrels

-by Harzach (modified from W0lle's script on Armaholic threads)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mijayk8c75rbbse/smoke_em_part2.utes.rar

TPW HOUSELIGHTS v 1.09

-by TPW

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16782&highlight=TPW%2BLIGHTS

Ultra Simple Patrol Script

-by JW Custom

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9267&highlight=USPS

Russian Army base (FOB)

-by edgardeth

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10578&highlight=COMPACT%2BRU%2BFOB

FreeSoung.Org

https://www.freesound.org/

Credits:

RUBE for help on the "barrels on back of truck" script.

Harzach for help on "smoke'em barrels" script

Thanks bros! Could not have done it without you.

Included files:

All necessary scripts, sounds, jpeg and music.

Installation:

Just extract the zip-file and copy the the folder "Proxy Wars: Moschnyi" into your Arma2\Campaigns folder.

Known Issues:

There is a .paa error at start of mission for a uniform patch. It's related to Hazmat Units Mod. Nothing I can do about it. Just click "continue" and play on.

Bug Reports:

If you find any bugs, have any suggestions or comments, please post them in this thread or PM.

Have fun!

Edited by Kommiekat
Version update

How I ended up on a list with the likes of Ruebe I'll never understand - dreams can come true!

Looking forward to it, Kat!

Aww damn kommie, perfect scenario for AFRF mod or Stagler's Russian Naval Infantry. BIS Russians look so ugly and obsolete.

Edited by TexKaz

This sounds very interesting. Just curious, what was the idea behind making this campaign? Also any chance of a co-op version? Im really keen to try this together with some friends.

This sounds very interesting. Just curious, what was the idea behind making this campaign? Also any chance of a co-op version? Im really keen to try this together with some friends.

Sorry, I know nothing about Co-op but you are more than welcome to give it a shot. If you do manage to get it working, send me a link so others can enjoy it as well.

The idea came from the fact that Proxy wars are a fact and that the CIA/USA has been involved in them.

Not sure if this is fact, but there is belief the USA is now in the Ukraine, stirring up trouble.

This mission is an extreme method of starting a war, purely my imagination (Thank god, I hope).

Purposefully poisoning a population of civilians is never a good thing.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Aww damn kommie, perfect scenario for AFRF mod or Stagler's Russian Naval Infantry. BIS Russians look so ugly and obsolete.

Hey guy, not using Russians units except for the Project Alpha guys. I needed units in gas masks and Stagler's units (although cool as hell) has some strange buggy glitch in the mask.

Seems to be the only unit in his mod. I hope he can do something about it. It's behind the glass at the units face. Download it and check it out yourself.

I think he knows about it, though not sure.

Anyways, never seen Project Alpha used in a mission, so I wanted to give it a chance and let other people know its out there, wanting some love and hugs.

I'm testing this mission out and its pretty tough at night with no NVG! Pretty unheard of for BlackOps! :D

When using with GL4 and Zeus AI modules, it is fairly hard even on Veteran. Still have not cleared the first base and working on it. Will try again after dinner. Great job so far.

Thanks for playing.

I left out NVG's because I felt it unfair for the enemy (not having any).

I also felt, that with NVG's costing about US$10,000 or more for just one, it would be unrealistic to pass them all out to all units on the map.

I tried to create a lighten up an environment as I could by using clear skies, TPW script and placed a few Logics on the map with codes to light up some buildings.

Anyways, please report anything else like bugs and any good ideas you may have...........Thanks again !!

I tested the mission again in both A2CO and A3 with AiA and it is still too dark in both engines. I think the best thing to do is improve the environmental lighting with something like AEG mod if the map has lots of light polls to connect to. If not, more spotlighting would be needed.

At the minimum, the UA team should be equipped with flashlights on patrol. Nobody patrols in the dark like that. Every soldier has one.

For the blackops, it is entirely within their budget to have NVG. You can balance that out with more security troops as flashlights seems to increase the AI's LOS within the light cones.

Or if the shooting starts at the first base, one of the soldier can try to run to sound the alarm which would result in reinforcements within X time (from a nearby town or area). Thus forcing the blackops team to rush to load the cargo while fighting it out. Just a trigger to keep the blacks ops team on their toes.

I can tell you my performance was much greater in A3 with AllinArma mod loading all the A2 addons. There were some XEH errors from CBA OA/CO dependencies but worked basically well and yet annoying with all those error messages.

Off-Topic - I am playing your other Campaigns and all are top notch! I've never seen so many PLA missions that were so well thought out! Now if only the RWO team just port all these campaigns / mission over to Arma 3 with AIA to help load up the A2 mods, I would be in heaven.

Thanks for your help.

Your ideas about flashlights and such are quite reasonable and doable.

For some reason, on my rig, I had plenty of light coming from a Full moon and such. It's interesting how missions show up from one rig to another.

AEG won't work for this map. It is constrained to a limited amount of maps by the mod maker himself.

In the scripts section, I did mention about using TPW lighting which brought more light to towns and houses.

I also placed down Game Logics in various locations with a code to bring in more light.

And about XEH and CBA errors, just nothing I can do about those as you are already aware of.

Great ideas of yours. Now, It looks like I've got to dive back into the editor.

Thanks again!

Hi KommieKat,

Checkout this thread about adding lights. It might help to add lights to the maps for night missions.

@Valken,

Again, thanks for that.

Question for you about the darkness:

How are the towns? Too dark? I've got most all of the fire-fights taking place in towns and bases. Are they still too dark?

I know the roads on the way to the objectives are dark, so player can use LIGHTS ON for the transports, which is only a short time.

Do you think if I light up the towns more with lights placing more objects on the map with codes in the inits, it will work OK and still not have to use NVG goggles?

Honestly, those goggles make the Gas Mask units look stupid and this is a Hazardous Materials mission.

Another question or two?

Know of any Russian weapons using Flash lights? I searched and searched. I know A3 has them.

If I can get flash lights on Russian weapons the next thing is..........

How to get them (flash lights) ON.

I think I came across a code that I can place in the units INIT and also using way-points on with CARELESS or SAFE (not sure).

What would you say if I changed the times?

Mission One at 5:00 am, M2 at 6:00am, M3 at 7am and M4 at 8am?

Maybe won't need flashlights or NVG's.

If I have to use NVG's, then I can give them to SpecOps, increase the amount of Opfhor units and give the Team Leader only NVG of each patrol group.

How about keeping the missions as they are an make a note to play the campaign in a darken room or night time only?

Your thoughts?

Again, thanks so much for your input on this............!!

Hi Kommiekat

1 and 2) I have no idea but did remember flashlights from A3 and DayZ. You don't need the AI to actually have attached flashlights on the weapons. It can be hand held and scripted to use on patrol. Once one soldier spots the enemy, the rest can train their guns on the target within that cone of light.

Can you check DayZ mod's old code for reference? I am sure you can check if they are using some flashlight script. I think ACE may have flashlight attachment for weapons also. Not sure.

I am not sure how high tech the UA troops are even today. I really doubt they are fully up to spec with EU standards so think low tech for them. Much more believable.

3) Late dusk or early morning may work actually!

4) noted.

5) I tried this. It was still way too dark for me. I'm using an IPS monitor / TV with ATI Radeon card. It might be default color settings but I can tell, it really feels accurate on how dark it is with no light other than stars or moonlight. It is really not that bright without ambient light.

I will take some screenshots in both A2 and A3/AIA for your reference. It really might an ATI thing.

Edit - See my Steam Screenshots Folder as I cannot link pictures directly.

Start of the game in A3/AIA - note how dark it is as the TPW mod lights are not working.

In truck with headlights on, outside with headlights on foreground and at the front of the first base. Note the environmental lights are not working in A3/AIA.

I will take some pictures in A2/CO for comparison.

Edited by Valken
added screenshots

Hey Kommie,

Longtime no see. Guess you don't check the comments at Armaholic no biggie but only found out my problems with this campaign after I posted that. Anyway I have some probs with your latest Camp. My problem is no time to play games LOL jk. But seriously I just played the 1st and 2nd mission every time I finish a task its not logged as such the box stays unchecked even tho the task accomplished bubble comes up and for the 2nd task there was just one enemy an a civilian ran em got em both and got task accomplished but it still no green task check off. And lastly just imho no NVG's is fine but its not dark enough anyway, unless I turn the brightness all the way down its like a really bright moon lit night but that's just my opinion.

But the tasks not really being logged as done is a big problem for me and Ive tried it on 3 PC's remember I'm the rare female motorcycle cop with the rare gaming family LOL! But sadly the kids are getting older and were busier with work etc tho we're still a gaming family, we're down to only at least once or twice a week ;) My son and daughter are total A3 converts tho their just not teens yet thankfully and they hate COD etc :p For me A3 is not ready yet tho as for me not until all the mods like ACE, ASR, DAP and CBA etc are the finals not beta's etc A3 no offense BIS is great, but imo the game needs mods as the AI's superhuman shooting and even tho we own PC's that are way overkill ATM (hubby while an MD was always a tech geek always built high powered PC's). But to me Arma 2 looked more realistic or the game itself felt more realistic and dislike the future its way to far into it and not alone as 90% of the mods seem to be turning it into current day. But A3 does run better.

Pardon the rant. Day off but errand await. Anyway yeah without the task thing I have to do the shift - end mission end cheat to advance. Sorry if this was said already, but like I said very busy so I only have a few minutes to ask this so I don't read the other posts. And I had to make a new profile as no matter what I did I can't access my old BIS ID waiting on CS as it was for the BIS store as well.

Thanks

Sachiko

Hi Sachiko!

Long time no see, Hisashiburi!

Anyways, I'm not using the old method for task done. That was the old BIS method for MP playing, getting the task done. Now, it should just show up as a HINT bubble like you mentioned.

Tom3kb has been doing the same for his missions recently as well. Saves time as well as copy/paste mistakes.

I'm using hint with parstext. Makes things easier. Don't have to type in so much now in the trigger init boxes.

BUT...................!! You should get Mission endings for the last tasks/objectives and SUCCESS for the missions in between.

I'll go back into the triggers and may add one more line to get the Green Task you're talking about, but again, you should get SUCCESS and finally MISSION DONE.

I'm glad the NVG'S were not needed. I had thought there was enough light with it being full moon. I guess the game from one persons pc to another persons pc will be different.

If I get one more comment about it being too dark, I'll add the NVG to the leader only and opfor patrol team leaders.

Lastly, do try to finish it. You did the first two missions, so only two more left.

I see you've moved to A3. It's just wonderful, isn't it! Love the detail and engine. I really hope to see more units and maps made for it.

Anyways, mata atode!

Ja ne!

My daughter, 18, still in Fukuoka came by to visit me in Hong Kong. Now the son, 12, wants to see grandpa in the US. this summer.

Can you send me airplane money? :eek:

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Hi Kommiekat

I will take some screenshots in both A2 and A3/AIA for your reference. It really might an ATI thing.

Edit - See my Steam Screenshots Folder as I cannot link pictures directly.

Start of the game in A3/AIA - note how dark it is as the TPW mod lights are not working.

In truck with headlights on, outside with headlights on foreground and at the front of the first base. Note the environmental lights are not working in A3/AIA.

I will take some pictures in A2/CO for comparison.

Hi Valken,

I checked out those pics of yours. I can see you're using A3 engine. I have a feeling some of the scripts for A2 are not working, like TPW's House Lighting and the code I have in the GameLogics.

I honestly don't know if the A3 has a Gamelogic in the editor.

That base should be very very well lighted up and TPW does good for the town as well as the Gamelogics I placed

Method:

Editor--->Empty--->GameLogic

Put down three of them.

In the init, put down this code, one for white, green and red

White

light = "#lightpoint" createVehicleLocal position this; light setLightBrightness 0.03; light setLightAmbient[0.1, 0.1, 0.1]; light setLightColor[1.0, 1.0, 1.0]; light lightAttachObject [this, [0,0,2.5]]; 

Green

light = "#lightpoint" createVehicleLocal position this; light setLightBrightness 0.01; light setLightAmbient[0.0, 0.2, 0.0]; light setLightColor[0.0, 1.0, 0.0]; light lightAttachObject [this, [0,0,1]]; 

Red

light = "#lightpoint" createVehicleLocal position this; light setLightBrightness 0.1; light setLightAmbient[0.2, 0.0, 0.0]; light setLightColor[1.0, 0.0, 0.0]; light lightAttachObject [this, [0,0,2]]; 

Also, if you have time, download this mission from my good buddy, nettrucker. You'll need UNSUNG mod for this:

Operation Wayne Grey

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=20838&highlight=OPERATION%2BGREY

He uses only the moon light for all 3 missions in the camp. Give it a try, damn nice missions!

Hi KommieKat,

I will try your suggestions after I get some work out of the way.

PS: I've been playing Unsung mod on and off between RWO, and Alienz mod (yes, I have a thing for hunting Aliens from all those 80s movies and Falling Earth TV series). I can tell you UNS works fantastic in A3/AIA combo!

I think its just Engine issues with the way it handles lighting.

I tweaked TWP houselights for my A2/CO setup last night and will try again within that Engine. But my PC runs A3 BETTER than A2 due to stronger DX11 features vs DX9, hence I try as many mods/missions in A3/AIA as possible.

PS: I just noticed I'm in your neck of the woods from your conversation above! Literally! We should hookup sometime! May 1st is a holiday here. :P

Hi Sachiko!

Long time no see, Hisashiburi!

Anyways, I'm not using the old method for task done. That was the old BIS method for MP playing, getting the task done. Now, it should just show up as a HINT bubble like you mentioned.

Tom3kb has been doing the same for his missions recently as well. Saves time as well as copy/paste mistakes.

I'm using hint with parstext. Makes things easier. Don't have to type in so much now in the trigger init boxes.

BUT...................!! You should get Mission endings for the last tasks/objectives and SUCCESS for the missions in between.

I'll go back into the triggers and may add one more line to get the Green Task you're talking about, but again, you should get SUCCESS and finally MISSION DONE.

I'm glad the NVG'S were not needed. I had thought there was enough light with it being full moon. I guess the game from one persons pc to another persons pc will be different.

If I get one more comment about it being too dark, I'll add the NVG to the leader only and opfor patrol team leaders.

Lastly, do try to finish it. You did the first two missions, so only two more left.

I see you've moved to A3. It's just wonderful, isn't it! Love the detail and engine. I really hope to see more units and maps made for it.

Anyways, mata atode!

Ja ne!

My daughter, 18, still in Fukuoka came by to visit me in Hong Kong. Now the son, 12, wants to see grandpa in the US. this summer.

Can you send me airplane money? :eek:

OhayÅ. :)

So how ya doing in HK? Hope everything is ok with you and your family. Yes I remember you saying your daughter was still in Japan. She lives alone? LOL airplane money so Kawaii. I dread the day my kids turn into teens ;) Anyway good to hear from you again. Thanks for the tips and advice and yes will finish the campaign :). And yes I agree the darkness thing is a personal thing but Ive turned my brightness to normal and it looks fine just a bright moon light. Yes A3 is great like I said our pc's are kinda overkill for games but we don't only play games so hubby is great. But its also good to not having to use ( in our case crossfire) well we didn't for A2 either but lol Pardon I'm just rambling too early in the day for me, got a day off but gotta get my kids ready. Anyway don't be a stranger now take care!

ã˜ã‚ƒã­!

Sachiko

Edited by Sachiko

I tryed to play... it's just too dark...

Version Updated to 1.1 on the first post.

Decided to add NVG to player.

As player, you can decide to use them or not.

Note that I did NOT add them to all units.

Thanks for your input!

Change Log

Version 1.1

-Added NV Goggles to Player in all missions only

-Added NV Goggles to Enemy Patrol Leaders only

-Increased enemy patrol groups by one unit

-Fixed trigger in Phase 3 (Third Mission)

Edited by Kommiekat

Nice. I will test this version. I tried the 1.0 version with a tweaked twp_houselights configuration (set all lights to max output and widen the area of effect) and it works much better now. The issue was that after I have loaded the cargo and drove the truck back to base, nothing happened. I parked the truck where the first Ural was, and walked back to the area where I started. Nothing happened.

The issue was that after I have loaded the cargo and drove the truck back to base, nothing happened. I parked the truck where the first Ural was, and walked back to the area where I started. Nothing happened.

Hi, Could you tell me what mission that was and what happened?

Something not triggering?

Thx!

Mission 1, first one. I will try with your revised version to see if that happens.