Sign in to follow this  
redarmy

THERMAL IMAGING on NVGs?

Is there a script out there that allows me to use heat or any kind of thermal imaging with NVGs? the purpose for this is that i want to do some helo missions but cant see much on the ground.Would be great have some kind of thermal NVGs to turn on.

Anything out there like that?

It should be possible.

And how exactly would you be able to look through glass with thermal?

That's what the FLIR turrets are there for.

Well the idea is defently good!

how about to make a script/code where its possible to change through Nightvision and thermal with the NVG?

i think that could be good for some missions.

And how exactly would you be able to look through glass with thermal?

That's what the FLIR turrets are there for.

I didnt know thermal didnt work through the helicopter glass.

Well, since TI works from mid-wave to long-wave infrared spectrum, which is well absorbed or reflected by glass, it's basicaly opaque or mirror-like to FLIR. Ordinary NV goggles operate in much shorter wavelength infrared and faint visible light, thus they can still see through.

Did anyone figure out a way to mod the NVG's to give thermal imaging? We have systems like this now, it'd be kind of nice to see them in ARMA 3.

That would be nice, I've tried doing that but I have been unsuccessful so I've given up.

Vote for this issue in the feedback tracker if you want simulated thermal goggles. After playing with the config for several hours and after doing some searching you cannot change the regular NVGoggles into TIGoggles.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=17809

Also check out this feature request from 3 years ago.

https://dev.withsix.com/issues/16545

If BI fixes this issue we can have TI goggles no problem.

Also under the weapons_f config I noticed "TIGoggles" maybe they will be added in later.

Edited by cobra4v320

For sure I have voted this up, and hopefully this gets some more attention ;)

TBH this would open up so many possibilities - imagine a multiplayer game mode based on the movie Predator :D

But.. considering how many Sam Fisher type missions Arma games have always had, it would be nice to have at least SOME of the same equipment he has, and not just feel like I am just waiting to get lucky with the timing and my choice of Save Games ;)

Creating the addon is pretty straight forward. If BI allows those changes I could release this addon and we would have TI goggles today.

Creating the addon is pretty straight forward. If BI allows those changes I could release this addon and we would have TI goggles today.

Thank you cobra,It would open alot of doors for certain types of missions.Hopefully BIS see this. whats the year in arma3 again? 2035?Yeah, i think it fits rite in.

At least thermal binocs should be in arma 3 :/

I can create thermal binoculars thats easy. In your config you just put in:

visionMode[] = {"NORMAL","TI"};

thermalMode[] = {0,1};

0 = white hot

1 = black hot

Here are rangefinders with NVG and thermal black/hot vision.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wbe3vgulmt5ft7t/thermal+binoculars.zip

Classname: CB_TIRangefinder

Edited by cobra4v320
  • Thanks 1

would 2 & 3 be these orange thermal right? one of the special scopes has it.

At least thermal binocs should be in arma 3 :/

I think this is a much more realistic request. I don't think it is very practical to have thermal vision "goggles" simply because thermal vision is not intended for navigation, as NVGs are. Thermals are for target acquisition. On that note, used by a Gunner yes, but most certainly not used by a Pilot, glass aside.

Not only that TI does not work through transparend materials, it delivers a much more blurry picture with muss less detail and depth perception and is bad for orientation purposes...it's not even usefull for such simple task as driving a vehicle. TI in games is highly overrated and often done sloppy without depicting all the drawbacks...like not beeing able to see anything living on a mild summer day because all surfaces macht the skin temperature of most mammals and the silhuettes are so low blurry that target udentification has to be done using optics or Low level light or daylight Camera systems. Edited by Beagle

I'm not sure you folks have seen modern thermal imagers. Particularly the new hybrid imagers.

The game is based in 2035, hell look at what BI did to the A10. :sadlike: People have been asking for thermal goggles for a while why not give it to them? I would rather just stick with some PVS14s.

Edited by cobra4v320

The way I think of it with imaging technology is, look at the newest version of Adobe Photoshop, then apply a little imagination. Remember, a computer beat the crap out of humans on Jeopardy , years ago. :P

I'm not sure you folks have seen modern thermal imagers. Particularly the new hybrid imagers.
and even those can't bend the laws of physics. You can use as much computerized postprocessing as you want... and hybrid means it needs two independent sensor systems. And btw. the current trials with the new PUMA ABC recently show that a CCD picture on a TFT display is subotimal regarding the plain old binoscope optics used in the predecessors. Newer ist not better.