Sign in to follow this  
Ixian

Custon voice saying?

I was just in a server and some people had custom sayings that you could hear and would be shown on chat. like one guy had a saying that he used that went like "you bastard...you bloody bastard" in a funny english voice. How do i get custom sayings like that?

I read that have no clue in the world if its the same thing im talking about. So i just stick a sound file in my User folder. and use a converter to make a .wav file into a OGG. And that should do it?

Ok, i have a converter and I have converted a .wav into a .ogg. Now what?

Do i put a sound folder in the user folder?

or do i put a sound foldier in my user/name folder?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ixian @ Sep. 07 2002,19:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">or do i put a sound foldier in my user/name folder?<span id='postcolor'>

BINGO!!!!

Also, if you name your files something more than just "Sound1.ogg" to like, what is said in the sound bit, i.e. "ATTACK THOSE BASTARDS.ogg" when you use them in the game, people will both read and hear your sound.

-=Die Alive=-

CRAP!

Ok, apparently the converter I used only coverted 80% of the file because it was a trial version. Damn I knew it was too good to be true.

Anyone know a simple converter that is free I can get? It would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Now what am I supposed to download there is lots of stuff.  I have winamp but not the winamp they show i d/l that and it will convert ?

I d/l the latest winamp how do i convert wav to ogg?

nm i found a simple one that is free you just drop the wav over a little box and bam its done.

Hey,

how can i stop this voice saying?

I don´t want to hear the sounds what can i do?

Can i stop it with a parameter in the server.cfg?

Please help i hate this sounds sad.gif

Thx

Gevatter [RPB]

These sounds are the worst feature added to OFP as yet. They have been introduced in the blind assumption they will not be abused. There should be a way to disable them totally for both server and client.

As Malbouef has already detailed they cause connection problems and gameplay stalls.

Currently all sounds are banned on Gameplanet until patch is released.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lt_Damage @ Sep. 09 2002,01:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Currently all sounds are banned on Gameplanet until patch is released.<span id='postcolor'>

How can u ban the sounds? Or will you kick every player who use it?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gevatter [RPB] @ Sep. 10 2002,03:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lt_Damage @ Sep. 09 2002,01:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Currently all sounds are banned on Gameplanet until patch is released.<span id='postcolor'>

How can u ban the sounds? Or will you kick every player who use it?<span id='postcolor'>

I think (duh) he's talking about the user made custom sounds, not those already in the game. So if you have custom sounds, and you joint that server, and the admin sees in his tmp folder that you have custom sound folder, then the server admin will go toatlly ape shit and ban your sound using ass.

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RN Malboeuf @ Sep. 11 2002,04:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">sounds are welcome on our servers since our servers can handle it<span id='postcolor'>

Interesting.. your servers provide high speed net connections for every player that connects? Wow, fantastic. Where do I sign up?

You see the element you are missing is if you allow players to use sounds, it's not only the server that gets a pounding, it's every 56k modem user connecting has to download those sounds, they already have to download the map list, the players faces, and connection information.

In saying sounds are welcome there you are literally saying it is ok to use them, it is ok for all the 56k players to have to download them while they connect, and it is ok that what once took 30-45 seconds to connect will now take them 2-3 minutes, maybe more.

Good luck mate. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Sep. 11 2002,02:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gevatter [RPB] @ Sep. 10 2002,03:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lt_Damage @ Sep. 09 2002,01:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Currently all sounds are banned on Gameplanet until patch is released.<span id='postcolor'>

How can u ban the sounds? Or will you kick every player who use it?<span id='postcolor'>

I think (duh) he's talking about the user made custom sounds, not those already in the game. So if you have custom sounds, and you joint that server, and the admin sees in his tmp folder that you have custom sound folder, then the server admin will go toatlly ape shit and ban your sound using ass.

-=Die Alive=-<span id='postcolor'>

Heh, actually I politely ask if they can disconnect and reconnect without the sounds.

If this is ignored I have no choice but to disconnect the offending player.

Custom sounds in temp folder is also banned on our server (SWAF), this is exactly because some of our members or visitors are using 56k or ISDN, and we feal that there is enough waiting when downloading maps and faces, so we dont need no sounds. And they really dont add anything to the game. And our server can handle it, its a 100mbit server but that is rather irrelevant in this case smile.gif

No need to get bitter just because I said that Sounds are welcome, I wont reduce my OC3 servers to lower stadards just because of some lower end clients, OC3 is roughly 16 times faster then a T3 line, if high end players wish to use sounds and not have to worry about being banned or kick then they know where they can come.

I'de rather Ban 56k players over the use of sounds..... wait I do ban 56k players, all of my admins do, any player that reaches past 600 ms on load gets banned by one of my admins.

I feel sorry for the 56kers I do, but I wont reduce my services or other players to thier standards. this is a high end Net game, simple as that. OFP RULES

Right...

confused.gif

So effectively your server only welcomes cable and dsl users. And you will ban all 56k users.. that's nice of you.

The reason I say "all" 56k users is because noone is going to have a ping under 600ms while downloading all those stupid sounds you guys are using.

So really, you are denying heaps of people the opportunity to enjoy a good game, simply so you can have custom sounds that don't really fit into OFP anyway.

Well that's your choice, good luck with it. Happy banning. confused.gif

Not that I really need to say anything, we have way too many players as it is, but Gameplanet welcomes all players and is setup to give as many people an opportunity to play as possible.

Regards,

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wait I do ban 56k players, all of my admins do, any player that reaches past 600 ms on load gets banned by one of my admins.

<span id='postcolor'>

Malboeuf, this time i can only say: SHAME ON YOU mad.gif

You ban somebody, because his connection actually doesn't

fit into your "perfect world".

You are selling hardware, if i remember right.

So you know, that sometimes customers will come back

to buy better hardware, than they bought previously.

Now the banned 56k ones who did upgrade their connection,

will still be banned.

Ah wait - no, YOU or YOUR admins will release them in this

case, because they are now better people.

I tell you what: they wouldn't bother to do any click on your

server again, once they get banned for that reason.

I mean i would understand, if you tell them:

Sorry, but your connection is crappy, so get off the server

until your connection is no more delay for the others,

but banning them ... ts ts ts confused.gif

However, i never thought you should be the one who rules

the world biggrin.gif

and btw - i'm not a 56k user, so don't think that i'm defending

my own position here, just thought it was one more time to

talk to you wink.gif

~S~ CD

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RN Malboeuf @ Sep. 11 2002,17:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'de rather Ban 56k players over the use of sounds..... wait I do ban 56k players, all of my admins do, any player that reaches past 600 ms on load gets banned by one of my admins.

I feel sorry for the 56kers I do, but I wont reduce my services or other players to thier standards. this is a high end Net game, simple as that. OFP RULES<span id='postcolor'>

I'd suggest that you kick those who have a high ping, instead of banning them, cause what if they upgrade their connection or something. I'm not against kicking high-pingers, I think it's good, as high pings ruins the game for everyone. Surely there are servers close to each 56ker so that they have a decent ping.

I'm no 56ker either, got 10Mbit/sec up and 10Mbit/sec down...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (iNeo @ Sep. 14 2002,16:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm no 56ker either, got 10Mbit/sec up and 10Mbit/sec down...<span id='postcolor'>

so you run better then two T3s combined?

what do you have at home

I find a true test is the all seeing eye's Wizard, run the test, it shows true speeds

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RN Malboeuf @ Sep. 14 2002,23:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (iNeo @ Sep. 14 2002,16:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm no 56ker either, got 10Mbit/sec up and 10Mbit/sec down...<span id='postcolor'>

so you run better then two T3s combined?

what do you have at home

I find a true test is the all seeing eye's Wizard, run the test, it shows true speeds<span id='postcolor'>

That's what I have at home. Am only 16, still studying.

I've tested with a small, serious, trustworthy program, but I lost it today when I formatted all partitions. There was a test in a Swedish Internet magazine - 'Internet World' - that had tested broadband providers in Sweden. They tested speed also:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Up 7,3 Mbit/s

Down 5,7 Mbit/s<span id='postcolor'>

With that little program, I remember I got about 9 Mbit/sec in download and upload around 6-7 or something, not sure.

Oups, a bit off-topic...

Back on track, I usually only have 2 sounds when I go to dedicated servers, and I (try to) keep them <15kB.

ive found ofp to be one of the most 56k friendly games ive got, in rtcw u have a ping of 300 its unplayable, in ofp well i dont notice anything, when i had 56k i would get pings of 120ms, when i got adsl it was much the same but only smoother, now with 1.75 a 300ms ping is like playin 90ms on a 1.46 server. On gp we had someone connect with over 2megs of sounds i think, lt dammge is on 56k at the moment cos he had to move and he sez its fine, if u want to ban 56kers well i hope u get no players on your server, ofp has bugger all players as it is if u want to discourage ppl who cant afford or get acess to a faster connection well stuff ya, high bandwith players lag a server not a 56ker, most ppl have 56k.