Sign in to follow this  
Tyl3r99

why are flashlights so weak....

flashlights in arma 3 are pretty much pointless... I could see better by eating a lot of carrots

why are they so weak?

same goes with vehicle headlights the beam is angled too shallow and needs to be raised like a real car.

the lights show up only a small area in front of the vehicle

If I read the "BIS is too ambitious" thread right then it's an engine limitation according to the experts lol, but don't hold me to that as the experts on this thread are often countered by "other" experts who seem to know what they are talking about unlike the other experts.

Edited by Katipo66

surely just change a config... bla bla bla sorted

I am by no means an experts on the game engine. Its most likely not a engine limitation in the sense that its not do able. Look at the light tower for example, it cast light far longer than vehicles or flashlights.

I really think its down to performance. It would be reasonable to assume that the bigger the area you illuminate the more processing power would be required.

I am by no means an experts on the game engine. Its most likely not a engine limitation in the sense that its not do able. Look at the light tower for example, it cast light far longer than vehicles or flashlights.

I really think its down to performance. It would be reasonable to assume that the bigger the area you illuminate the more processing power would be required.

jesus almighty...

they are sacrificing our flashlight distance for 0.5fps

It would be reasonable to assume that the bigger the area you illuminate the more processing power would be required.

I guess so. Also, larger lights would probably cause errors such as shining through walls, since dynamic lights ain't really optimized right now. This would break immersion in CQB. Engine-wise, larger light sources with more power are definitely possible. Just look at Vehicles' lights or the landing lights of any Helicopter.

Well... Robert Hammer has some good flashlights and more accurate to what a SureFire should be in his M4 pack.

I think maybe it's more to do with the shadows it (doesn't) cast? Completely guessing.

it has nothing to so with performance (not until it lights can cast shadows anyways, if ever). i would say it is a reminiscence from all the lighting tweaking that use to happen.

... I could see better by eating a lot of carrots

why are they so weak?

Interestingly, the 'fact' that eating lots of carrots helps you see in the dark is a myth, introduced by the British in WWII to encourage people to eat more veges I believe....

Interestingly, the 'fact' that eating lots of carrots helps you see in the dark is a myth, introduced by the British in WWII to encourage people to eat more veges I believe....

:yay: i was waiting for this response :D

surely just change a config... bla bla bla sorted

Try it out then and let us know if it worked

Nah it was a ruse. They spread the myth that their pilots could shoot down German planes at night because of their superior carrot assisted eyesight when in fact they had radar. http://gizmodo.com/youve-been-lied-to-about-carrots-your-whole-life-becau-1124868510/1126108142

EDIT: Doesn't stop me using it on my kids...

it's an engine limitation according to the experts lol, but don't hold me to that as the experts on this thread are often countered by "other" experts who seem to know what they are talking about unlike the other experts.

Hahaha No. You can create your own weapon lights bright enough to see kilometers...

The only reason I can see for them doing it is because lights go through walls and when you have a sharp focused light like in A2: OA it's much more noticeable than a soft dull light like the A3 weapon flashlights and they claimed a while back they were going to fix it... which they didn't, so they chose to do the next best thing, lessen the effect.

Hahaha No. You can create your own weapon lights bright enough to see kilometers...

The only reason I can see for them doing it is because lights go through walls and when you have a sharp focused light like in A2: OA it's much more noticeable than a soft dull light like the A3 weapon flashlights and they claimed a while back they were going to fix it... which they didn't, so they chose to do the next best thing, lessen the effect.

Ahh, i see... That would make me one of those "Other experts" bugger!!

Cheers for shedding some light on the subject :D

Nah it was a ruse. They spread the myth that their pilots could shoot down German planes at night because of their superior carrot assisted eyesight when in fact they had radar. http://gizmodo.com/youve-been-lied-to-about-carrots-your-whole-life-becau-1124868510/1126108142

EDIT: Doesn't stop me using it on my kids...

So OP is now going to ask for personal, portable radarlocation systems in Arma 3? Good Grief People! :)