fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

Fabrizio. many thanks for the new version!

I may have to turn up my accuracy a little bit as I saw two enemy round a corner firing at eachother at 10 paces and they missed EVERY shot for 6 seconds !

I had a very short test session and got the same impression. On one occassion an AI surpised me from behind. When I turned round it was standing 5m away but did not hit me. This was in the open in the middle of a road.

So maybe AI precision might need a bit upping...

It's already solved in my internal dev build, i'm investigating the effects of the fix on other features, namely damage multiplier.

Have u a link to this version which is fixed?

Yes, it sounds cynical, but corpses should be technically considered ... cover.

Haha, well, it was right good when we saw it - totally took us by surprise, in the best of ways.

Have u a link to this version which is fixed?

Not at the moment.

You may opt for a "quick and dirty" fix, as long as you don't use a custom damage multiplier:

• open lib/common.sqf
  • find line 738, which reads:
    _body_part_damage

• comment it, by changing to:
    // _body_part_damage

A proper fix needs further investigation, looks like there's some kind of issue with HandleDamage EH, when some return value is set.

---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

Fabrizio. many thanks for the new version!

I had a very short test session and got the same impression. On one occassion an AI surpised me from behind. When I turned round it was standing 5m away but did not hit me. This was in the open in the middle of a road.

So maybe AI precision might need a bit upping...

To be fair i've got quite the same impression: even unsuppressed AI being more inaccurate than before (v0.15 / v0.16 DEV).

It's strange since i didn't change the code governing aiming accuracy, while base accuracy was already slightly raised within CfgAISkill.

Probably something changed under the hood (ArmA 3).

I'll bump it up a bit into v0.16 RC2, let's see.

Edited by fabrizio_T

To be fair i've got quite the same impression: even unsuppressed AI being more inaccurate than before (v.015 / v.0.16 DEV).

It's strange since i didn't change the code governing aiming accuracy, while base accuracy was already slightly raised within CfgAISkill.

Probably something changed under the hood (ArmA 3).

I'll bump it up a bit into v0.16 RC2, let's see.

At 200-300 meters, AI is much more accurate than before, so it's not the overall accuracy that's the problem, I don't think. I just think that the AI, in general, were built with longer engagements in mind where tracking enemies requires smaller movements. In CQB, they don't snap to the target fast enough (the way a human would); they take a long time to lock onto their target even though they often start firing right away.

EDIT: Not to say that the above is the only issue. Certainly AI seem to be quite inaccurate close up even when they have an enemy in their sights right in front of them. If there's a way to improve accuracy at close range without making AI too accurate from far away, then I'm all for it.

Edited by ebarstad

At 200-300 meters, AI is much more accurate than before, so it's not the overall accuracy that's the problem, I don't think. I just think that the AI, in general, were built with longer engagements in mind where tracking enemies requires smaller movements. In CQB, they don't snap to the target fast enough (the way a human would); they take a long time to lock onto their target even though they often start firing right away.

True, at range AI is still accurate.

What changed was the close range accuracy, which seems lower now.

It's not related to target movement, because AI has problem hitting non-moving targets too.

This kind of problem is not new, but looks worse now.

This mod is good, but those brands above head are bad. Remove them and it will be fine. :)

quick questions, excuse me if they've been answered:

1. Is this Dedicated tested? if so compatible? if so do all clients require or just the server?

2. How does this function with ALIVE?

This mod is good, but those brands above head are bad. Remove them and it will be fine. :)

Are you talking about the debug spheres? You can turn that off at the top of the @bcombat/config.sqf file.

set the "devmode" state to false in config.sqf

Recommend it on EVERY single mission you will ever play in Arma3 !

Yeah i was using it already but didn't know it would make harder for me. I was infiltrating a camp alone and killed couple enemies while on the way. After that couple of enemies and an armored car came to my last location then i was like o.0 but i already left that location. The point is this is good stuff we have here thanks alot!.

Hey Fab. Really loving the new update. It is working very well. I DO find that, with increased suppression, that soldiers are running out of ammo quite quickly (assuming they aren't dying :) ) and therefore are you planning an 'AI rearm' function? I know that old versions of ASR_AI did this and it was very effective. Currently I'm seeing AI switching to pistols quite often as they have run out of ammo for their rifle.

Out of the current scope, or something that can be put into danger.fsm ?

Hey Fab. Really loving the new update. It is working very well. I DO find that, with increased suppression, that soldiers are running out of ammo quite quickly (assuming they aren't dying :) ) and therefore are you planning an 'AI rearm' function? I know that old versions of ASR_AI did this and it was very effective. Currently I'm seeing AI switching to pistols quite often as they have run out of ammo for their rifle.

Out of the current scope, or something that can be put into danger.fsm ?

Not sure about the rearm feature, i lack the scripting background for such a feature. Maybe.

AI is depleting ammo very fast due to excessive inaccuracy (only partly due to changed suppression penalties) and that's bad indeed.

It's something i'm looking into.

Not sure about the rearm feature, i lack the scripting background for such a feature. Maybe.

AI is depleting ammo very fast due to excessive inaccuracy (only partly due to changed suppression penalties) and that's bad indeed.

I believe Robalo said he removed the rearming feature from ASR AI for Arma 3 because the command is broken in A3 or at least doesn't work the same way as in A2. I can't remember the command, though. In short, AI rearming may not be possible.

EDIT: Here's Robalo's post about it: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?107526-ASR-AI-Skills&p=2452644&viewfull=1#post2452644 Basically, TAKEWEAPON and TAKEMAGAZINE weren't working properly (at least in not in July).

Edited by ebarstad

i lack the scripting background for such a feature. Maybe.

NEVER ! I wouldn't want you to have to tweak what we already have, as the battles are very atmospheric. In fact if anything we need to UP the amount of rounds :) A re-arm function would add a huge amount to bCombat. What is a soldier without ammo ? Dead !

I believe Robalo said he removed the rearming feature from ASR AI for Arma 3 because the command is broken in A3 or at least doesn't work the same way as in A2. I can't remember the command, though. In short, AI rearming may not be possible.

EDIT: Here's Robalo's post about it: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?107526-ASR-AI-Skills&p=2452644&viewfull=1#post2452644 Basically, TAKEWEAPON and TAKEMAGAZINE weren't working properly (at least in not in July).

Try: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=2627877

Maybe you should make their rate of fire depend on the distance to target and the soldier class (or weapon used).

example with MG gunner

0-100 rapid fire

100-300 long bursts

300+ short bursts

example rifleman

0-50 full auto

50-150 short bursts

150-300 single shots with medium rate of fire

300+ carefully aimed single shots with low rate of fire.

Would this be possible?

This maybe a stupid idea but why cant the mission maker simply add ammo support vehicles with support waypoints? I like the idea for need of re-supply when ammo is out, helps in the dynamics.

Or maybe there would need to be someway for the group leader to gauge ammo levels and have a conserve ammo command? Although eventually they will need those supply trucks.

Anyway anything other than some form of hack to keep them resupplied constantly.

or LMG with infinite ammo... as FFIS mod :coop:

Maybe you should make their rate of fire depend on the distance to target and the soldier class (or weapon used).

example with MG gunner

0-100 rapid fire

100-300 long bursts

300+ short bursts

example rifleman

0-50 full auto

50-150 short bursts

150-300 single shots with medium rate of fire

300+ carefully aimed single shots with low rate of fire.

Would this be possible?

I've tried coding that some time ago, via some forceWeaponFire trick.

The problem is AI is overriding all the way the fire mode you've carefully set.

It may be handled at config level, but that's out of scope.

---------- Post added at 20:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

Todo for upcoming v0.16 RC2, so far

• lessening some scalability issues (namely: idle overhead) for high AI count (200+ units).
  • bringing further improvements on reaction of units being hit.
  • misc fixes

Damn it, this is great mod but i'm losing significant fps when i use this. I'm very sad that i won't be using this anymore.

Edited by dostunuz